Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fire!

Comments

• GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Man you are crazy lucky! I hope you went out and Bought some lotto tickets! Was the grill completely shut down? All vents closed and ceramic cap in place? Hard to believe that was started from the wood being too close to the grill after you cooked Down and actually cooked at a lower temp. Just goes to show Though that air space is a must if that is the way this started.
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited April 2014
    Every egg owner built table I've seen the egg fits into the top like a glove. From a carpentry perspective it looks both finished and like the builder knew what he/she was doing. The gap between the egg and the table top can and should be at least 1-1/2" to 2". The idea of a table, I think, is to provide both a work surface and a safety restraint to keep the egg from toppling over when a drunk friend or owner, kids or large dog bumps into it. If the dome is up and you are cooking in strong winds, the table will also keep the egg from tipping. A 2" gap will still provide stability, is much easier to clean when spooge gets slopped onto the top and it is fire safe. 1" air gap under, 2" on the sides, IMHO.  
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629

We had a fire. Took us seven years to settle with the insurance. $155,000 in legals. Please everyone do your best to avoid this.

Whoa! That's horrible! Just curious is your egg in a table or nest now? Glad you and your family didn't get hurt.
    @jllbms‌ glad you & your family weren't hurt also. That's pretty scary.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    The fire was started because of a gasser side burner. Some of my eggs are in nests and two in a stainless cabinet. They sit on a concrete deck and my house is now clad in cement board and stucco.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629

The fire was started because of a gasser side burner. Some of my eggs are in nests and two in a stainless cabinet. They sit on a concrete deck and my house is now clad in cement board and stucco.

How do you like your SS table? I've got one at my office from a old prep table from a Pizza Hut we use to service. Right now mine's in a nest with eggmates. But, I like the SS idea.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Little Steven
    I love it although I haven't used the eggs in it. I need fireboxes. I did a trial run at work on it. It's a cabinet with doors so I put fans in the back to allow me to run with the doors closed.
    Can't find a pic after the Granite top went on but this is the idea.
    imageimage

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Whoa and whoa. Glad to hear that a major catastrophe was averted.

The wood probably started smoldering from the heat and then eventually started burning. You may want to think about a table where the egg kind of slides in instead of drops in from above, and leave at least a few inches clearance in all directions. Of course fire retardant materials are not a bad idea.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Seems like a top made out of cement board and tile would be fine.
    Gittin' there...
  • Gator_Man
    Gator_Man Posts: 138
    Focker said:

Yikes, glad all are safe and damage is kept to a minimum.

You could buy a nest, then build a separate prep table to accompany it? 

I started out with a huge wooden table.  Have zero regrets trashing it and upgrading to nests and separate prep tables.

Focker I couldn't agree more with the nest idea! :)

I'm from North Carolina summer and Okeechobee Florida winter.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

• jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    After reading all the comments, my course of action is a nest plus a side stainless table. The wood table will be refurbished with a new top (sans hole) and will become a gardening table for the wife. Thanks, everyone!
    Kemah, TX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,314
    @jllbms-most eggcellent call.  You will not regret it for one minute!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • jllbms
    After a considerable wait for a replacement base, I'm back in business with a revamped set up. Also shown, the former Egg table repurposed as a potting bench for the lady of the house.
    Kemah, TX
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    hapster said:
    I did this... Keeps everything mobile and the table was about $130 at Sam's Club. image

I think I may be going this route for now tell I am able to build what I want. I may have to hit Sams Club up this week.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Ladeback69
    Sam's Club has it for $119. I think that's what I am doing for now. It can be used other places later.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    edited June 2014
    Thanks for the tip. sold my table when we moved last year. Bought a nest from someone on here. After reading about these fires, it's the only way I would go now.
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• GATABITES
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    these fire discussions are scary. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    @jllbms I like that new set up.  Where did you get your table?  Did it have the hooks on the side or is that something you added?  Thanks!

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    GATABITES said:
    Indeed they are, Now that some folks may be starting to rethink wooden tables, it's time to rethink wooden DECKS as well!!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    GATABITES said:
    Indeed they are, Now that some folks may be starting to rethink wooden tables, it's time to rethink wooden DECKS as well!!
    What would you replace them with?  I am in the process of hiring someone to strip/stain/seal my deck.  Not much choices for elevated patio/decks.

Garnerville, NY
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    robnybbq said:
    What would you replace them with?  I am in the process of hiring someone to strip/stain/seal my deck.  Not much choices for elevated patio/decks.
    I wouldn't replace them with anything. I just won't put a grill on one. I used t. Not any more. If I had to walk a little further to avoid a serious fire hazard, that's what I would do. Beats losing my house.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Do you have your Egg in the middle of you yard?  How far away from the house or trees?

I am more worried about embers flying out of the Egg landing on the house/roof/deck/tree.  I have a stone patio downstairs that may be better than the deck as far as embers landing on the ground but the deck/house is right next to the stone patio.  An ember can easily fly out the top and hit the deck.  Plus having it on the patio would be bad for me as it will be in the way of the kids getting to the pool.  I can see problems having it down there. 

I have nightmares ~2 out of 5 times I use the Egg where I can not sleep and wake up every few minutes as I am afraid of a fire.

Garnerville, NY
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    FWIW- I was thinking of pricing out this decking:

It does attach to wood framing/joists so perhaps it would just be a false sense of security, but it seems like it would provide some level of protection. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• jllbms
    The table I got is this: Flat Top Prep / Work Table 30" x 48" x 35", 18 Gauge Stainless Steel (Knocked Down) *NSF* http://amzn.com/B00AM05ROC Cheap Chinese crap. When it rusts out in a year or less, I'll go the authentic restaurant supply route. The tool rack is an add on, also cheap crap. Oxo SteeL Kitchen Tool and Utensil Rack http://amzn.com/B000079XWA I'm still on a deck, but I have 18" tiles under the Egg. The deck wasn't my problem; it was the table. I believe it to be reasonably safe.
    Kemah, TX
  • Ladeback69
    jllbms said:
    The table I got is this: Flat Top Prep / Work Table 30" x 48" x 35", 18 Gauge Stainless Steel (Knocked Down) *NSF* http://amzn.com/B00AM05ROC Cheap Chinese crap. When it rusts out in a year or less, I'll go the authentic restaurant supply route. The tool rack is an add on, also cheap crap. Oxo SteeL Kitchen Tool and Utensil Rack http://amzn.com/B000079XWA I'm still on a deck, but I have 18" tiles under the Egg. The deck wasn't my problem; it was the table. I believe it to be reasonably safe.
    <br I've seen it on Amazon before, but they make a bigger one that you can get casters for it. I'm thinking of building a stone storage islands on both sides of my egg nest now.

Kansas City, Mo.
  • Little Steven
    Didn't see this until just now. So sorry and thankful that it wasn't worse. It brings back a lot of painful memories here.

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    Just curious - as all the fire threads these days are starting to get me thinking...

Does the Mother-Ship know about this apparent sudden influx of egg-table fires?  Is it something that should be brought to their attention to potentially re-evaluate the use of wooden tables?

Not to say I'm one for more rules etc, but BGE may very well stop selling wooden egg-tables, and advise us against using them on wooden decks if they do some re-evaluations.  Or maybe they'd re-tool their wooden tables to leave a larger air-gap between egg and table?
    [Insert clever signature line here]
  • jllbms
    My table was 3rd party, but as you mentioned, BGE does sell their own brand tables. Yes, I think it's a potential liability for the company. A good risk manager would be making this type of recommendation, very likely.
    Kemah, TX
  • scottc454
    scottc454 Posts: 94
    Hey, I have a wood table and I can say with 99.99999% confidence that for every wood egg table that catches on fire, there are 5 or 6 that never have that problem for the whole life of the egg (and table).  Let's all calm down, folks.
    Well, those aren't exactly good numbers.
    For every guy that dies playing Russian Roulette, there are 5 guys that survived. 

Face it, your house is gonna burn down if you don't change your ways.

I kid, but I must say, brick houses are where it's at.

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Sounds logical.
    Cheers man. Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    I would rebuilt your wooden stand, leave some space, AND I would also advise to treat with an FR, like Flame Stop II.

I've used it, and others to treat other porous materials and it flat out will extinguish a flame, period.
    -FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax