Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Montreal Smoked Meat .. first attempt ( pic heavy )

pantsypants
pantsypants Posts: 1,191
So I followed the recipe on here for Montreal Smoked meat .
from this thread
 http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1128140/ultimate-montreal-smoked-meat-recipe

pretty much followed it to a T- so no need fro me to get into particulars . Really I just want to show off some pics .

Next time I would soak longer ( I soaked for 3 hours ) and also I would no be so liberal with the coriander/pepper top coat as i think i put a bit to much .
That said this was amazing !! really delicious flavor and textures .

Well worth it .
imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage
Toronto

Comments

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Looks fantastic Phil! Did you do the full 3 hour steam?

Hope that Keen's hot mustard you put on that. And, light rye?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    yes yes and yes .

Also there were pickles .
    Toronto
  • pantsypants
    I have eaten way to much of this and am wondering how long these effects will last
    Toronto
  • Sardonicus
    Sardonicus Posts: 1,700
    edited June 2014
    I have eaten way too much of this and am wondering how long these effects will last

It'll pass.

"Too bad all the people who know how to run the country are busy driving cabs and barbecuing."      - George Burns

• speleoegg
    speleoegg Posts: 67
    That looks awesome!  As a Montrealer I approve!  I found a recipe for "michigan" hot dogs if you are into that sort of thing too.

1 Large BGE, 1 Keg & 1 Joe Jr

Ajax, Ontario
  • pantsypants
    i think i am scared to ask what a michigan hot dog is .
    Toronto
  • speleoegg
    It's kinda like a Chili dog but more like spaghetti sauce, made popular by a restaurant called Lafleurs.  I can't remember where i found this but here you go:

1 16 oz tomato sauce (comes in 15 oz cans and that is ok also)
    2 lbs burger
    2 onions chopped fine (I use dried onion flakes, ¼ cup)
    ¾ tsp garlic powder
    2 tsp cumin
    6-8 tsp chilli
    ¼ bottle hot sauce 3 oz
    2 tsp pepper
    **I also add some dry cayenne pepper. Maybe a tsp or more.
    Put all of the above in a large pot and mash, and mash and mash together until meat is broken down and all the other ingredients are incorporated.
    You can now heat it on the stove to give it a head start and then put it directly into the crockpot/slowcooker for 4-6 hours. You really cannot overcook it. Taste a few times, I often add a little more hot sauce or cayenne, as I like it spicy.
    Frequently check it and suck up the grease with a paper towel or bread. If you make a little dip in the middle, the grease will congregate there. I keep checking and taking it away until I get sick of it or it’s done the cooking.
    If it looks too dry, add a little water. We like ours pretty dry. It freezes very well also. 

Ajax, Ontario
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Pink slime and mechanically separated meat by-product held together by meat glue?  100% natural.
    meat glue is to expensive .
    the pink slime holds its self together !!
    Toronto
  • pantsypants

speleoegg said:
    It's kinda like a Chili dog but more like spaghetti sauce, made popular by a restaurant called Lafleurs.  I can't remember where i found this but here you go:

1 16 oz tomato sauce (comes in 15 oz cans and that is ok also)
    2 lbs burger
    2 onions chopped fine (I use dried onion flakes, ¼ cup)
    ¾ tsp garlic powder
    2 tsp cumin
    6-8 tsp chilli
    ¼ bottle hot sauce 3 oz
    2 tsp pepper
    **I also add some dry cayenne pepper. Maybe a tsp or more.
    Put all of the above in a large pot and mash, and mash and mash together until meat is broken down and all the other ingredients are incorporated.
    You can now heat it on the stove to give it a head start and then put it directly into the crockpot/slowcooker for 4-6 hours. You really cannot overcook it. Taste a few times, I often add a little more hot sauce or cayenne, as I like it spicy.
    Frequently check it and suck up the grease with a paper towel or bread. If you make a little dip in the middle, the grease will congregate there. I keep checking and taking it away until I get sick of it or it’s done the cooking.
    If it looks too dry, add a little water. We like ours pretty dry. It freezes very well also. 

have you made this ?

Toronto
  • speleoegg
    Yep - twice, closest thing to the restaurant.

Ajax, Ontario
  • pantsypants
    Nice .
    I should check it out
    Thanks
    Toronto
  • +1 on the longer soak.  I've been doing pastrami for a few years and came upon this elsewhere and had to try.  Lil salty but great flavor, good work!
  • pantsypants
    yeah thanks !
    i cant believe how delicious it was .
    I wish there was more

Toronto
  • That looks great !! Still doing my research before I do my next one. The first one was to dry.
  • pantsypants
    Did you steam it ??
    Toronto
  • gabriegger
    gabriegger Posts: 682
    @panstypants 'that ain't no fooling around'. Nice job Phil!

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• pantsypants
    Yes thanks .
    I would offer you some but obviously there is no more ( obviously)
    Toronto
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    Got one on the egg right now. It's what's for dinner tomorrow!
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    edited June 2014
    @TexanOfTheNorth‌ And lunch on wed ??

Toronto
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    edited June 2014
    @TexanOfTheNorth‌ And lunch on wed ??

No problem! I'll make sure that some of it makes it through Canada Day. :^o
    The last pic makes my mouth water. Maybe to heavy on the coriander and pepper, but just maybe. Can always scrape a bit off before serving.
  • pantsypants
    @gdenby you are 100 % correct . I ended up scraping a bit off .

Toronto
  • oil99
    oil99 Posts: 1
    What temp did you smoke it to? I usually separate my briskets for MSM as it's too much meat for us so flat is MSM and point is burnt ends. Run the flat to 160ish, pull cool refrigerate and steam next day 2-3hrs. Has always been outstanding but always eager to learn from others.
  • pantsypants
    I think that I smoked it at 225 for 5 or 6 hours and then wrapped it and finished it in the oven
    Toronto