Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rutland fun!

As I undertake the changeover to a Rutland gasket, @rrp tells me I must absolutely remove the egg top to do a good job on the retrofit......could someone tell me how to accomplish that being sure that I can just bolt the lid back on and everything will fit perfectly and the seal with be even better than it was before...... thanks, 'rsterman
Berlin, Maryland

Comments

• corey24
    corey24 Posts: 386
    Really? I wasn't aware you had to take the lid off for a gasket change.  That concerns me as I already have to get dealer out for adjustment for over-bite about I month after I received my egg.

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana

• revolver1
    revolver1 Posts: 372
    My Rutland is working fine and I left the dome on. Just scraped the felt off.
    Dan, Columbia,Mo.
  • bettysnephew
    bettysnephew Posts: 1,188
    Many people remove the upper band bolt and lift the lid out after disconnecting the springs.  I took a good look at my XL's bent bolt and decided that it would be difficult to get the nut off and likely break the bolt doing so.  Instead, I removed the springs and the removed the four hinge bolts leaving both bands intact on the lid and the base.  Cleaned everything up and reinstalled.  A very minor adjustment was required of the top band to get everything realigned.  It just needed a slight loosening of the bolt and a bit of down pressure on the lid to get it in position and dollar bill tight.
    A poor widows son.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited June 2014
    My dome has never been off. Remove old gasket from top and bottom. Install Rutland on bottom only. Cover gasket w/ foil and close dome. Let cure and then have at it.

There would have to be a real good reason for me to remove the dome. Installing a Rutland is not one of them.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Weekend install on deck, leaving my top on.
    Seattle, WA
  • corey24
    corey24 Posts: 386

@RRP is the man on Rutland Gaskets.....if they are only installed on the bottom why would you remove dome?  Maybe he will chime in.

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880

rsterman said:
    As I undertake the changeover to a Rutland gasket, @rrp tells me I must absolutely remove the egg top to do a good job on the retrofit......could someone tell me how to accomplish that being sure that I can just bolt the lid back on and everything will fit perfectly and the seal with be even better than it was before...... thanks, 'rsterman
    WHOA NELLIE!!! I replied to your email that you did not have to - and that was sent 15 minutes before you started this thread - My first reply was sent in error and by the time I could get back on it was 1 minute later - Please check your email!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • rsterman
    rsterman Posts: 119
    I'm having trouble interpreting the King's English lately......I took "absolutely" to mean, "yes, take it off".......I'm certainly relieved......thanks @rrp.....
    Berlin, Maryland
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    That damn RRP! Lol.
    Mark Annville, PA
  • RRP
    rsterman said:
    I'm having trouble interpreting the King's English lately......I took "absolutely" to mean, "yes, take it off".......I'm certainly relieved......thanks @rrp.....
    Sorry about my first reply - my fingers moved faster than my brain as I was typing ABSOLUTELY NOT and had misspelled ABSOLUTELY and when I backed up to correct it I wiped out the NOT. I then quickly sent a second email within a minute. BTW there is nothing in my 2 pages of instructions that I sent you that mention removing the dome - You had mentioned reviewing TNW site and on that the fellow took his off - but I do NOT recommend it! Clear? Peace, Brother!
  • SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    I just did mine about a month ago.  As has been said, there is no need to remove the dome.  I just took a putty knife and scraped the top and bottom gaskets off.  With the dome open, I installed the Rutland on the bottom only.  Put some wax paper on top of the new gasket and then closed the dome and let it cure for 24 hours.   
    XL BGE
  • SkinnyV
    just did mine, my permatex was messy getting on top of my gasket in some spots. I had 0 gasket left....hope I did it right on the large.
    I did install rutlands on 2 minis in the past and it worked out fine, so hoping result will be the same.
    Seattle, WA
  • RRP
    edited June 2014
    SkinnyV said:
    just did mine, my permatex was messy getting on top of my gasket in some spots. I had 0 gasket left....hope I did it right on the large.
    I did install rutlands on 2 minis in the past and it worked out fine, so hoping result will be the same.
    Zero is Ok for a large which needs 7 feet even though the circumference is only about 67". Where people get in trouble is they try to put 7 foot on an XL whereas you need 9 feet to do it properly. BTW the Permatex on top of the gasket will stay, but can be trimmed after 24 yours if you have globs of it! You might want to lay foil or waxed paper on the gasket in those spots - otherwise they will stick to your dome and you will have a problem tomorrow.
  • SkinnyV
    Nice thanks again!
    Seattle, WA
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Evidently you have to take the dome off...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • RRP
    henapple said:
    Evidently you have to take the dome off...

You old pot stirrer you!
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I didn't tell him to take the top off.... =))
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN