Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Buffalo Chicken Balls

Options
About this time of year I start experimenting with new tailgating recipes and I came across one for Buffalo Chicken Balls.

I ran about 1lb of chicken breast through the meat grinder. Mixed in some pulsed carrot and celery. Added some bleu cheese and wing sauce with a pinch of garlic powder and salt.

For tailgating I would make them smaller (bite size) but I didn't feel like the hassle of rolling out that many so I made bigger ones. They turned out pretty good. Cooked them raised direct on a sheet pan for about 20 minutes at 350 dome temp. 

They aren't wings by any stretch, but they're a heck of a lot less messy. 

Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)

Comments

• TheBrewerMoose
    Options
    As a Browns tailgater I can appreciate your mission of flavor without the mess. I do a buffalo chick dip which has substantial cheese in it, other than that it is similar to yours. Can't wait!

Strongsville, OH

• CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    Mixing celery and blue cheese into the ball is genius.  Might want to add some butter to give it some fat and mouth feel.

Gimme a bowl of those bite sized beauties!
    1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Do something similar, beer batter and deep fry. Must try this version on the egg. 
    Curious as to the use of the sheet pan (technically that's indirect isn't it), why not right on a SS grid, raised direct? 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    Options
    THose look good!

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • NecessaryIndulg
    NecessaryIndulg Posts: 1,298
    Options
    Love it! 
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences.  
    You can also find me on FacebookInstagram, and Twitter.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Do something similar, beer batter and deep fry. Must try this version on the egg. 
    Curious as to the use of the sheet pan (technically that's indirect isn't it), why not right on a SS grid, raised direct? 

+1 for directly on the grid but when I turkey meatballs I go indirect but you still get a nice crisp all the way around the ball. I was concerned with the ground meat taking on too much of the drippin smoke.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    The sheet pan was on the grid but the grid was raised to the base level, thus raised direct. I would have normally used the plate setter but I was cooking steaks afterwards and didn't want to mess with removing the plate setter. 

Here is the recipe:

Ingredients

1 pound lean ground chicken

1 egg

1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs

1 carrot

1 stalk celery

2 green onions

1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

1 ounce crumbled blue cheese

1/2 cup Frank's Hot Sauce (or your favorite), divided

1 tablespoon butter

Step by Step

1.      Preheat Egg to 350F raised direct or indirect.

2.      Line a cookie sheet with foil and coat with nonstick spray.

3.      Cut the celery, carrot and green onion into large chunks and throw into a food processor.

4.      Pulse to chop into small bits.

5.      In a large bowl, combine the vegetable mixture, chicken, egg, breadcrumbs, garlic powder, salt, 1/2 the hot sauce and the blue cheese.

6.      Gently fold together to combine, but don't overmix.

7.      Form the mixture into small meatballs - you should get about 28 small meatballs.

8.      Place the meatballs on the cookie sheet.

9.      Bake for 20 minutes.

10.  While the meatballs are baking, put the rest of the hot sauce and the butter into a microwave safe dish.

11.  Microwave about 30 seconds, until butter melts.

12.  Stir well to combine.

13.  Remove the meatballs from the oven and allow to cool for a few minutes.

14.  Place the meatballs onto a serving dish and drizzle with butter/hot sauce mixture or bleu cheese and/or ranch.

Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    One thing my wife added as she tasted them. She said to cut back on the hot sauce in the mix to not make it as spicy and maybe mix in thigh meat to counter the loss of moisture. But to glaze them with a wing sauce afterwards. Not a bad idea. 

I'm thinking this will work for NFL games with the 1PM ET kickoffs. I know for Bucs games we get there about 11 or so and it doesn't leave a lot of time for cooking. 
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    I was just thinking the same, add the blue cheese to the mixture or in the center and glaze with hot sauce .
    Dearborn MI
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
     I am all over that recipe. I'm going to try it using chicken thighs and tossing it with wing sauce when its finished.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• pwg56
    pwg56 Posts: 93
    edited June 2014
    Options
    This is the one that I use all the time.  It has quickly become my family's favorite. Last time I made them, they suggested I make 400 at a time instead of 50 so we can freeze them and have them all the time.

I cook them mostly raised direct, nice grill marks.Not raised works too.

http://www.bakeyourday.net/buffalo-chicken-meatballs/