Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

my BEST authentic PIZZA yet (2+ years of attempts/fails) (PIC HEAVY)

NDG
NDG Posts: 2,431
edited June 2014 in Forum List
Followed a Forno Bravo dough recipe called "Basic Vera Pizza Napoletana Dough Recipe" and weighed it out the ingredients with my digital scale.  I added a dot of EVOO during the low speed kneading for extra flavor.  This recipe could be made and used same day - but I wanted a cold rise.   So I took this dough and followed some cold rise instructions in an old mag (La Cucina Italinana - Bravo Pizza edition from 2012).  Nothing special in the mag, but it helped guide me and I went with a 1.5 day fermentation covered in the fridge.  Divided it into 4 tight balls for 12" pizzas, and let it come to room temp under a damp cloth as the egg got to temp around 600F.  I had the stone raised above the felt for extra heat so the top would brown correctly.  TURNED OUT TO BE MY BEST YET.  Great flavor, airy with an amazing chew!

Toppings that cooked with ZA all came to room temp with the dough before assembly: Crushed Tomatoes (pushed through strainer), Whole Milk Motz (shredded), Italian Sausage (grilled on the egg), Onion, Drizzle of Good EVOO

Toppings after ZA cooked: Fresh Basil & Fresh Shaved Parm (24 month aged), Drizzle of Good EVOO

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Great pizza. Why the need to flip the bird?  ;)
  • NDG
    Oh yeah - just a quick F/U to all my previous failures.  I had so many pizza fails (dough & temp related) my wife put me on a pizza freeze for few months.  Feels good to finally get it spot on . . so yea I got some attitude!
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Great looking pie.  As much as I love cooking on the egg - I sure would love to have a Forno Bravo oven.  My cousin just assembled one in his backyard and LOVES it.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Well done =D>
    Seattle, WA
  • NDG
    @GATraveller . . . those Forno Bravo ovens look amazing.  Any idea what your cousin paid for his/her oven before assembly?  I dont think its in my cards - but I am curious . .   
    Columbus, OH

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    @NDG - no clue but will ask.  I was discussing it with a buddy Wednesday night over a pizza cook on the egg and just had my cousin forward pics and plans last night.  I'll ask.  I know the forno bravo site has free plans for the pompeii oven which has materials you can find at Home Depot/Lowe's.  I'd imagine that the approx cost could be found on the forno bravo forum but I haven't had the time to search yet.  If I find out I'll let you know. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Nice looking pie!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• NDG
    Sounds good - I bet the pizza pics from your cousin have beautiful leopard spots?  I kind of gave up on that quest for now :(   I have got them a few times on the egg, but I think consistency at that temp is near impossible so I now stick around 600 - 700 max.
    Columbus, OH

• Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    That is absolutely gorgeous!! Great job!!
  • itsmce
    itsmce Posts: 410
    That looks REALLY good. I'll search for the dough recipe.
    Large (sometimes wish it were an XL) in KS
  • NDG
    edited June 2014
    Appreciate the complements.

Here is a link to the dough recipe - same ratios of ingredients, but not exactly what I used (mine had a short autolyse):  http://www.fornobravo.com/pizza/pizza_dough.html
    Columbus, OH

• legomyeggo
    legomyeggo Posts: 113
    edited June 2014
    That looks great. I did not want to spring for a Forno Bravo and it is more or less permanent when you put it in so I got a smaller one - a Roundboy - that is made from precast cement panels. It does not have quite the heat retention of a Forno but I can turn out a pizza in 90 seconds once it gets hot. I am actually going to take it apart and move it to a different place in the yard this year. The floor gets to be about 800 degrees and the roof about 1100 - 1200 - it set a wooden peel on fire when I first lifted a pie to the roof to get a little singe on the cheese..... Turns out a 10 - 12" pie in about 90 seconds.

This is my kid using it. They are up near Wilkes Barre, PA. I have no affiliation - Paid $1300 but I picked it up.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    =D> Great job!! That pizza looks to die for.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• NDG
    @legomyeggo . . . nice oven - a 90 sec pie (with leopard spots) is my lifetime goal!
    @griffin . . . thank you!
    Columbus, OH

• legomyeggo
    I need to follow @NDG's lead and do more with the egg and the nice stone I have. and Emile somebody stone. Got a BGE stone too. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I think Costco has those Italian ones online right now.
  • legomyeggo
    edited June 2014
    They do.. I had a tough enough time justifying $1300 for mine... but the Forno is really nice.

• Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    NDG said:
    @legomyeggo . . . nice oven - a 90 sec pie (with leopard spots) is my lifetime goal!
    @griffin . . . thank you!
    Seems like you are ready for a $350 Blackstone Pizza Oven.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,431
    I toy with the idea of a large, wood-fired pizza oven in my backyard, but unless you regularly entertain for ten or more, it doesn't make any sense.  A Large Egg can come up to proper pizza temp in 45 minutes, and do enough pies for all the spaces around my dining room table.  
    I'm happy where I'm at.  
    :)

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure