Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

first turbo baby back ribs

Options
fasst1
fasst1 Posts: 7

I kept reading about turbo style and tried the other day on some ribs.  I must say I was amazed by the time and how tender/juicy they were.  attached is a picture of  the finished product.  I decided to use mesquite just for the heck of it.  looks like a powerful smoke ring..  They tasted wonderful and I used a new pork rub from Costco. 

Comments

• fasst1
    Options
    I AM now going to try a turbo pork butt for Sunday.
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options
    Looks great!!! Turbo rocks - I'm planning on a turbo butt myself this weekend. So good!!!
    Santa Paula, CA
  • itsmce
    itsmce Posts: 410
    Options
    It's a turbo butt for me on Sunday too. I have too hard a time holding a low and slow temp and I'm not bold enough to do an overnight cook.
    Large (sometimes wish it were an XL) in KS
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    @fasst1‌
    They look good from where I'm sitting my friend. Nice job. =D>

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Great smoke ring - those came out nice.
    Options

Turbo Butt came out pretty good but I didn't hold a 350 temp so it took about 6.5 hours.

• Gravytrain84
    Gravytrain84 Posts: 322
    Options
    How long and what temp did you do the ribs?
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Turbo rules..... Baby Back Turbo Ribs (No flip) 350 indirect for 1hr 40 min. Before cooking: Pull membrane , rub, mustard, rub. Put on at 350 and leave the hell alone for about that time. This is called turbo ribs and I will never go back to 4 and 5 hour ribs. Note: with or w/o mustard works .. I like Bad Byron's Butt Rub / I like cherry & pecan mix for wood. If you want sauce: opened 15 min early and sauce. I like the sauce on the table.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Gravytrain84
    Gravytrain84 Posts: 322
    Options
    Damn, an hour and 40?? That's quick!!
  • fasst1
    Options
    mine took a bit longer.  I was at about 300 for almost 3 hours.
  • tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    great looking ribs.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Johnnysmoker
    Options
    :@) this does too good to be true good. I'm gonna try this turbo method, and see how they temp. Super excited to get the egg going today!! :O)
  • Mickey
    Options
    Turbo ribs: image
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Johnnysmoker
    Options
    :o3 @-) DOOOOOOD! Those look so good!!!!
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Those ribs look "out da park"..I have also been doing Ribs turbo style...But I also like low and slow when I have the time and a fridge full of beer..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options
    Those look GREAT!!  That is my plan for tomorrow - Turbo Rocks!!!
    Santa Paula, CA
  • apinion
    apinion Posts: 470
    Options
    What are the turbo butt rules @Mickey?
    Louisianian by birth, Louisianian by death. Austinite for now...
  • Mickey
    Options
    apinion said:
    What are the turbo butt rules @Mickey?

Baby Back Turbo Ribs (No flip) 350 indirect for 1hr 40 min. Before cooking: Pull membrane , rub, mustard, rub. Put on at 350 and leave the hell alone for about that time. This is called turbo ribs and I will never go back to 4 and 5 hour ribs. Note: with or w/o mustard works .. I like Bad Byron's Butt Rub / I like cherry & pecan mix for wood. If you want sauce: opened 15 min early and sauce. I like the sauce on the table.

• apinion
    Options
    @Mickey...the butt rules.  I want to know more about your butt.:-)
  • Mickey
    Options
    apinion said:
    @Mickey...the butt rules.  I want to know more about your butt.:-)

TURBO BUTTS. · Hot'n fast, 350 for 5 hours to internal to 200. Falls apart and oh so good! Have fun! · Be sure you only get a 7lb butt or so for the time (or a couple ((same amt of time)) or more for more protein ) . Note: The butt box is not required unless holding for dinner. I use mustard & Bad Byron's Butt Rub (both not required). I put on the rub, then mustard, then rub once more. Ps: I do not foil. Also good with the coffee rub.

• apinion
    Options
    Thanks! I always have admired you on these boards, Mickey.  Met you a couple years ago as a shy, timid, picking up my first egg gentleman in Salado at the fest.
  • Mickey
    edited June 2014
    Options
    apinion said:
    Thanks! I always have admired you on these boards, Mickey.  Met you a couple years ago as a shy, timid, picking up my first egg gentleman in Salado at the fest.

Sorry but can't put a face. Just saw where you live in Austin. That first and second Salado Fest I could not remember myself being there.

• stemc33
    stemc33 Posts: 3,567
    Options
    Nice ribs @fasst1‌ and @Mickey‌ =D>
    Steven
    Mini Max with Woo stone combo, LBGE, iGrill 2, Plate Setter, 
    two cotton pot holders to handle PS
    Banner, Wyoming