Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Good Lump !! = Good Brisket !!!

dldawes1
dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
Yep, this is the good stuff !!

13# brisket, Good Rockwood, and a oily rag (well, an oily paper towel)  !!!

Don't blame me.....ya'll taught me !!

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

Comments

• dldawes1
      Love my BGE !!!  Dome = 260 Degrees.

25 minutes from light to cook !!!

What else can a man ask for !!!

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Keep us posted.

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Looking Good Donnie!  The Rockwood is my go to when it has to be done right.  Let's see it when its done and before you eat it.  
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @dldawes1‌
    Bring it on home brother. Can't wait to see it.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I cooked a 48 lb brisket flat for 63 hours using Royal Oak. Sure I had to reload 20 times and it tasted like soot but I did it.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • dldawes1
    @HENAPPLE.....what temp did you cook it at ????

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • We have a lot in common. Big green egg, beautiful wife, and three small yorkies. I can tell her to get rid of them any time I want but I would have to find another place to live. Just kidding, I love those little guys. I cooked two racks of St. Louis cut pork ribs today and they turned out great. Like you, I love my BGE.
    San Angelo, texas
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    @henapple - you crack me up!

Keep up the good work @dldawes1! Looking forward to the pics of the finished product. I always seem to get so excited to eat that I forget the after-shots. I couldn't even count the number of pics I have taken of the prep, cook, progress, etc... but I forget to wrap it up with some good pics of the final so I don't bother posting.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    @henapple‌ Damn Tony! Your beef is huge! I'd hate to see the Mammoth Steer it came from. #-o
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • dldawes1
    5am...12.5 hrs from light Rockwood to FTC. Waking up to brisket is better than....well maybe not better than that......but it is right up there with a good cup of coffee !!!! 203 degrees IT at middle of point and 195 at front of flat. Grate/dome temp at steady 265 from about 10pm last night. Never moved ( that I know of ). In FTC now for a few hours . I'll post serving pics later. Thanks again folks for all of the tips and tricks.....you're all awesome.....even you HENAPPLE !!!!

• dldawes1
    Got a question..... Do most folks situate their meat with point north or south .....vs....flat north or south. Come on HENAPPLE I left it wide open for ya !!!!

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,545
    dldawes1 said:
    Got a question..... Do most folks situate their meat with point north or south .....vs....flat north or south. Come on HENAPPLE I left it wide open for ya !!!!
    First of all congrats on the cook..Looks awesome..Yep this thread is going to go south as soon as Henapple chimes in.... Once again good one.. :-c
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Appears to have turned out great as well as can be seen. The bark appears to be well formed and with those ITs you described it should slice nicely. Will be watching for your sliced pics. Good luck.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • dldawes1
    Testing edited brisket picture. Tried to zoom in w/I losing definition/ clarity.

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    It looks good. I have been using Rockwood for the last few cooks and I like it. It gets to temp faster, doesn't have the bad smoke to start with and the flavor is light so you get more tastes from the wood you are smoking with.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    Where do you guys buy Rockwood at?  I have been reading alot about it and would like to try it. I have two bags of Ozark Oak i brought back from Mo but will give it a shot when thats gone
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    llrickman said:
    Where do you guys buy Rockwood at?  I have been reading alot about it and would like to try it. I have two bags of Ozark Oak i brought back from Mo but will give it a shot when thats gone
    @llrickman I bought Rockwood from Firecraft.com. Free shipping over $100, I ordered about $100 of Rockwood and Ozark Oak so I can try both. I've only used one bag of Rockwood of 3, and its been smaller pieces, possibly due to shipping. I would order the Rockwood again. 
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • dldawes1
    @LLRICKMAN.........where are you located  ??

STLCHARCOAL can probably help you find a Rockwood dealer. He helped me and I've been sold on it ever since. I go get more ( 70 miles away) before I run out so I won't have to use any other brand !!!!!

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    llrickman said:

Where are you located? I think my dealer does mail order on Rockwood. Check out KansasCityBBQSource.Com. its about $20 something a bag.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    im in Albuquerque NM
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • dldawes1
    I thought I got pic of sliced brisket but evidently I didn't. Here is what I did get from this perfect end product,,,,,,before and after.......