Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rub-a-dub-dub

Options
bhugg
bhugg Posts: 317
Can anyone recommend a superior commercial rib rub that is available at most local Krogers or Tom Thumbs?  
Large BGE Dallas, TX

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Emeril's rib rub is good.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• bhugg
    Options
    for some reason, i am weary of the rubs with big names on them.  I dont know why, but it is what it is.  but if it is good, I will have to give it a try.  
    Large BGE Dallas, TX
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    bhugg said:
    for some reason, i am weary of the rubs with big names on them.  I dont know why, but it is what it is.  but if it is good, I will have to give it a try.  
    I hear ya.  Another I have tried at my Kroger is Famous Daves.  It's still a chain, but it wasn't bad. 

Here's one you can find at any grocery store.  Some assembly required :)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• bhugg
    Options
    I am totally down to make my own rub, but I would like some tried and true recipes. No point in reinventing the wheel.
    Large BGE Dallas, TX
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Use this quite a bit. It's out of the BGE cookbook I know boo hiss hiss!! I like it on ribs and butt

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • Randy1
    Randy1 Posts: 379
    Options
    I like this on ribs and butts. It comes from Sam's. image
    Maumelle, Arkansas
  • LDR
    LDR Posts: 414
    Options

Woody's is good.  Also, it's made in the Razorback state.

• GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    Options
    Bad Byron's Butt Rub
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    +1 for Memphis Dust - yes I know it's not an "off the shelf" rub but it's fantastic on ribs and shoulder. Makes great bark. I like it best on low-n-slow since it has a lot of sugar in it. One of my favorites is taking some of the bark and putting it in the baked beans - that's Heaven on Earth!

Keep an eye on the temp though. I used it one time when I had to finish a butt at 325-350 and I think the sugar developed a little bit of a burned taste.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!