Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

I'm new here and made a table!

Options
jshillin
jshillin Posts: 42
edited June 2014 in EGG Table Forum
I've been lurking for a couple weeks waiting to be approved to post.  I built my table 2 weekends ago and bought the egg the following Tuesday when my local dealer started the Father's day sale with 10% off.  I picked up cedar at my local lumber yard and went to town on building.  I looked at a few different tables and made my own adjustments.

Here it is after the last coat of spar varnish and before the egg went in.

Here it is with the egg installed.  I ended up using the terra cotta feet from Lowe's for an air gap.

I've already made chicken a few different ways, steaks, pizza, etc and it's all been great!!

Here's an action shot!

I still need to install my hooks and a handle.  I haven't found the right bottle opener to mount to it yet either.

Thanks

- Jason

Comments

• tulocay
    tulocay Posts: 1,737
    Options
    Welcome. I'm getting errors on the photo links?
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
  • Tony_Wornick
    Options
    Nice table.  Where did you get the feet?
  • jshillin
    Options
    Nice table.  Where did you get the feet?
    Thanks.  They are the Terra Cotta flower pot feet from Lowe's.
  • bill37
    bill37 Posts: 127
    Options
    WOW    Welcome!!!!!
  • wbradking
    wbradking Posts: 351
    Options
    Way to hit the ground running! Welcome.
    Franklin, TN
    Large BGE+PSWoo2
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited June 2014
    Options
    @jshillin‌ Welcome. Beautiful work on your table. But, it would be a shame to see it burst into flames. If you've been lurking you've seen ALL the recent mishaps. Read this:http://www.nakedwhiz.com/eggbase/eggbase.htm.  Just trying to help man. FWIW
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Serial Griller
    Serial Griller Posts: 1,186
    edited June 2014
    Options

Ditto NPHusker's post.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Nice work. ..
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    Options
    Don't be shy with the bottle opener... I put one on each post!

USA, Air Force, Pepsi, and Coke... The wife helped me with the Coke and Pepsi openers.

You just never know where (around the table) you're gonna need an opener 
    :-O

The table looks great!
    XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Options
    Very nice! Welcome

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Options
    Pretty work!
    GWN
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,375
    Options
    Eggcellent handiwork-welcome aboard and enjoy the journey.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367
    Options

Agree with all above - the table looks great.  you certainly did an awesome job finishing. 

Now please put that egg on a thicker stone...

@jshillin‌ Welcome. Beautiful work on your table. But, it would be a shame to see it burst into flames. If you've been lurking you've seen ALL the recent mishaps. Read this:http://www.nakedwhiz.com/eggbase/eggbase.htm.  Just trying to help man. FWIW

[Insert clever signature line here]
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Great looking table and great looking birds! 

With regards to safety I think I would consider the table nest.  

It will raise the egg up to give you more air flow under, and that will also give you a little more clearance around the hole in the top.  Just my $.02.  

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• jshillin
    Options

It will raise the egg up to give you more air flow under, and that will also give you a little more clearance around the hole in the top.  Just my $.02.  

I tried to get one of those before I set the egg, but none of my local dealers carried them or ever heard of them.  The feet I have one it give me a good inch of air gap.  I'm going to keep checking it for a while with an infrared thermometer to see what temps I'm hitting.  If it worries me at all I'll invest in one of the table nests.  
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited June 2014
    Options
    @jshillin‌ not one but, several BGE dealers that haven't even heard of a table nest? Seriously?! Wow!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @jshillin‌ do these said dealers offer regular nests or do they bungee strap it to a dolly? :)) Sorry but, that blows my mind they don't even know what a table nest is. Talk about no product knowledge.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • jshillin
    Options
    @jshillin‌ do these said dealers offer regular nests or do they bungee strap it to a dolly? :)) Sorry but, that blows my mind they don't even know what a table nest is. Talk about no product knowledge.
    Yep, went to 2 different dealers and both were clueless.  I opened up the BGE book they had laying on the table and showed them.  They said they could order it, but I had a built table and egg I was ready to cook on so I used the Terra Cotta feet.  I have been keeping an eye on the table, feet and stone temps with an infrared thermometer and nothing out of the ordinary yet.
  • Acorn
    Acorn Posts: 163
    Options
    Sweet set-up. Enjoy.........
    Atlanta, GA  - LBGE -
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Nice looking table and action shot!

Welcome to the lifestyle.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    edited June 2014
    Options
    jshillin said:

I tried to get one of those before I set the egg, but none of my local dealers carried them or ever heard of them.  The feet I have one it give me a good inch of air gap.  I'm going to keep checking it for a while with an infrared thermometer to see what temps I'm hitting.  If it worries me at all I'll invest in one of the table nests.  

A inch is not enough IMO. Order the nest and sleep easy since your set up is on your covered patio. I just read about one house burning down and don't want to see that happen to anyone else.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    I had an inch air gap and a 2 inch concrete paver. Worked fine for 14 months until my house burned down. The problem is that you may not notice the exact time it becomes a problem. You may start getting some char under the tile following a sear, a pizza cook or a clean burn and not realize it...
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    @Spaightlabs, based on your experience, I'm going to be pulling my LBGE out of my wooden table and doing a thorough inspection of the base and table areas where the egg sits. My paver has dead space beneath it and sits on two crosspieces for support. All the same, I think I will elevate the egg off of the paver by adding some feet.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Nice table - Eggcelent workmanship and finishing Like others said - you need something else under the egg. The current set up will result in a burnt table as a minimum. No measuring needed - it WILL burn.
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
    aka Frank from Houma eggin in Corpus Christi
    Geaux Tigers - Who Dat
  • Egghead_Daron
    Options
    Yeah @Spaightlabs recent experience has me looking for an alternative too. I have a beautiful table/tiki hut my dad built for me but I think I may make it a prep table and storage unit and go with a different plan for the Egg. Probably a nest for a while until I have a better permanent plan. Regardless, I would definitely get more air under that thing!!!
    LBGE 2013, SBGE 2014, Mini 2015
    Columbus IN
  • xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    edited June 2014
    Options
    @jshillin‌ that is s great looking table! +many on the table nest. I used a table nest on mine, a stone twice as thick as yours, and I still cracked the stone on my first pizza cook. I would worry that could ignite on you.

See this link and you'll see why everyone's mentioning this:

http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1166805/pyrophoric-charring-alternate-title-why-did-my-house-burn-down#latest
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • grey_bri
    grey_bri Posts: 46
    Options
    Don't buy the BGE opener they suck big time!!!!
    Owen Sound On. For now 1large 2mini's 1exl and 1 6burner Vermont Casting
  • DTEgg
    DTEgg Posts: 93
    Options
    Beautiful finish, very nicely done!  The table nest is worth the $30….
    LBGE
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited June 2014
    Options
    BGE $1K, hand made table $?, table nest $30, paver stone $6. Not burning $hit up priceless. ;-). Again you built a beautiful table.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • jshillin
    Options
    After a long phone call with my local dealer I should have a table nest later this week.  I got a different guy on the phone than the one I explained to the other day and had to explain what it was again.  They first told me it would $899 for a table...