Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Paella Question

When cooking a Paella on the egg, is it important to have a raised grid? Naked Whiz talks about Paella and using a raised grid. Just wanted to inquire before I attempt to manufacture and/or buy something.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• captjo
    captjo Posts: 93
    I have made it successfully both raised and not raised, as long as you keep your fire moderate. Enjoy your cook, it's very yummy! 
    Bristow, VA
    1 Lrg & 1 XL
  • Here's another question, has anyone tried using Quinoa instead of rice for Paella? There are Quinoa recipes, but none that I've seen were cooked on the BGE. Wondering how it cooks in comparison to rice on the BGE? 

Thanks
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    I would not use quinoa for a paella but, that's just me. You really want to use a short grain rice that has good absorption capabilities. The traditional, and IMO best, if it's available to you, is Bomba.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Here's another question, has anyone tried using Quinoa instead of rice for Paella? There are Quinoa recipes, but none that I've seen were cooked on the BGE. Wondering how it cooks in comparison to rice on the BGE? 

Thanks
    Go for it and let us know how it turns out.  It won't be paella, but if it tastes good, we can make up a new name for it, :)
    The Naked Whiz
  • I'm going to attempt a dry run tomorrow with shrimp and vegetables. I'll let you know.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Everything I've read suggest or requires Bombay or Spanish rice...but, folks said the earth was flat.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    I am not sure how well quinoa absorbs water.  You may have to adjust your water volume...too much water and quinoa will get mushy.  Stir ofter to prevent the quinoa from scorching.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Quinoa doesn't have the same starch content as rice and doesn't require as long to cook so it will burn if you try to simply substitute it for rice. You could try it, but think thru the recipe, and have a back up plan!  

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • lakewade
    lakewade Posts: 385
    Rice is an integral part of the dish as I know it.  It cooks as part of the process and absorbs the flavors.  Enjoy!

-----------
    I feel a whole lot more like I do now than I did when I got here.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    What the hell is quinoa?.....
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Unless you use short grain rice(bomba or arborio) its not paella, just pilaf or jambalaya. I cook raised and not, with a small controlled fire. As for quinoa, I've decided I don't like it much! I am sure you will like whatever you make. Enjoy the cook, and invite friends!
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    It's a weird grain, I think originally from Peru.  A superfood - as in it's unusually healthy.
  • Thanks everyone for the responses. It will probably take some trail and error. I've prepare quinoa on the stove all the time. Its a 1:2 ratio. Not sure if that answers your question on absorption. I eat mine with gumbo. My family thinks I'm crazy on that move. I went to dizziest this past weekend and the first thing I tried was paella and it was real good. Now I'm inspired to try it with quinoa. 

Nolaegghead do you live in Nola? I'm in Metry. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Landry's Egg  Yeah, I'm in Algiers Point.  And I just made paella tonight.  Kind of a test run for a big batch I want to make.  Really came out great, but just did stove-top.  Check out Galvez if you haven't, decent paella, but great view and sangria.
    Traditional Paella is cooked directly over a fire. That raised grid deal is completely unnecessary. imageimage
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    edited June 2014
    henapple said:
    What the hell is quinoa?.....
    Isn't it that burger from the Bud Light commercial?   image:)) :)) :))
  • Whew, that was a lot of work but overall a fun cook. I tried to follow the Naked Whiz Recipe as much as I could.  The flavor was dead on. My wife who is picky liked it as well as my mother who is traditional Cajun when it comes to cooking.  They both said too much Quinoa and not enough of the other ingredients.

First I peeled the shrimp and made my own stock out of the heads and shells and added around a ½ tsp of Zatarains Crab boil to the broth.

Not sure what I was thinking but I used 2 cups of quinoa to almost 6 cups of stock. I used a long grain quinoa. WAY TOO MUCH QUINOA AND NOT ENOUGH VEGETABLES AND MEAT. I cooked it for 20 minutes. Maybe a tad bit long as there was a thin layer of burnt quinoa on the bottom of the pan.

As for the saffron, I’m not sure what it taste like. Grabbed a pinch, toasted it and added to stock like it says in the instructions. I couldn’t smell anything different.

Maybe the very little Zatarains that I used overpowered the taste of the saffron or I purchased cheap stuff. It was almost $14 for the little bottle I purchased.

When doing all the sautéing, my heat on the egg may have been to hot. Quinoa wasn’t mushy or anything.

I also used the BGE branded 4qt. paella pan. Plenty big enough.

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Saffron is one of the, if not the, most expensive spices in the world.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Saffron is probably the worlds most powerful spice, just a pinch is needed and it has an unmistakable aroma.  You did toast it, that's good.  Maybe you got some of that fake stuff.  Zaffron or something that's similar but used more for color? 

Anyway, just speculation.  But every cook is a learning experience and it just gets better and better.  Nice job.