Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Raccoon invasion. Morality question.

Options

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Nanook said:
    Maybe they would make good gumbo!
    I've had bush meat gumbo once.  It's made from everything that you can shoot from your back porch.  This was out near Abita Springs.  I call it "fear factor" gumbo.  It wasn't bad.  I felt like getting a rabies shot afterwards.
    Options
    I'm having fun reading this thread. Keep us posted. Hope you catch the buggers.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    Options

NPHuskerFL,

Re: I actually had to break down and pay a pro to trap them and shortly after did it myself after I saw the trick of trapping them.

I’m having current issues with them as well.

What’s the trick of trapping them?

"You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Yeah, I'd like to know any tricks too. @NPHuskerFL
    Options
    I'm late to this thread, but scanned the replies - up here in IL we have laws that are enforced that prevent a homeowner from trapping said critters and then moving them to another spot! HONEST! There are also laws against trapping and killing them unless you get a license to do so. Well, after a neighbor had trapped and drowned 8 of them one summer some "lady" called the game warden and my neighbor was fined $250! So that pissed him off since the coon population was really bad that year so he got a license - he then could either kill them or deliver them live to our local zoo! To this day we still see him leaving the neighborhood with a special cage he had built that attaches to his trailer hitch on his SUV so he can take them to the zoo! It's a standard joke now "Isn't that sweet, Gordie is taking those guys to the zoo! Wonder if he will take them fishing tomorrow or to a baseball game..."
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • canegger
    canegger Posts: 540
    Options
    12gauge with slug. No mess to clean up with that ,and light off some fireworks. No one will know
  • nolan8v
    Options
    This may be helpful:

ELECTRONIC, MAGNETIC OR RFID?

'Electronic' pet doors sense a collar key, then unlock or actually open. A number of different kinds of collar keys have been used to trigger magnetic pet doors including infra-red, high pitched sound (ultrasonic), magnets and most recently RFID chips.

In the case of the magnet type, the pet door senses the magnetic field to activate. In all cases, the pet door must be powered either with batteries or an ac adaptor. The collar key itself may be powered or not. A magnet, for example, requires no power. The RFID type are also passive and require no batteries.

An infra-red or ultrasonic transmitter does require small, hearing aid type batteries.

Less expensive electronic dog doors simply unlock and require your pet to push through. More exotic versions are actually motorized and open the door for your pet, then close behind him.

By contract, "magnetic" pet doors use only magnets for collar keys and rely upon the strength of the magnet to actually unlock the flap. Since the magnet does the work, the pet door requires no power to operate making them very handy for installations in areas where power isn't available. As well, they are not affected by a power outage or dead batteries. On the other hand, the magnets in these type doors tend to be stronger and may be more likely to pickup metallic debris or to startle the cat by suddenly attaching to something.

So what is an 'automatic' pet door? It could be any of these!

Electronic, Infra-Red, Magnetic and RFID Summary

Comparison ItemElectronic Pet DoorMagnetic Pet DoorMotorized Pet DoorRFID Type
    Door operates by:Infrared signal or magnetic field 
    is sensed & solenoid unlocks flap; pet pushes flap
    Magnet pulls lever to unlock; pet pushes flapUltrasonic signal is sensed; motor opens flapRFID chip is sensed; motor opens flap
    Collar key requires power?'Yes' for infrared or ultrasonic; 'No' for magneticNoYesNo
    Pet door requires power?YesNoYesYes
    "You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• nolan8v
    Options
    Chris Rose 

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    Your new found house mates make me ALMOST glad we have coyotes in our hood....and no dog/cat door.  Good luck oh great hunter.  Keep us posted  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Options

We had a bad armadillo problem in our neighborhood about 10 years ago......tore up everything, yards, flowerbeds, dug holes under fences, etc.  We formed a few "neighborhood militias" and hunted a few of them down usually on a weekend night while we were enjoying a few beverages. Tried to catch them in buckets (futile) and actually ended up shooting a few.  We're in the city limits but fairly remote and a couple of the guys in the posse were LEO so all was good.  It helped for a little while, but they kept coming back.

I finally figured out what they were eating was grub worms.  I put down some grub worm killer in my grass and flower beds and never had a problem again.  Removed their food source, removed the problem. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

500 Posts: 3,177
    Options
    Yea I got my popcorn ready for this show.
    I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
    Member since 2009
  • jimreed777
    jimreed777 Posts: 324
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Hava heart plus cat food = possum

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    RRP said:
    I'm late to this thread, but scanned the replies - up here in IL we have laws that are enforced that prevent a homeowner from trapping said critters and then moving them to another spot! HONEST! There are also laws against trapping and killing them unless you get a license to do so. Well, after a neighbor had trapped and drowned 8 of them one summer some "lady" called the game warden and my neighbor was fined $250! So that pissed him off since the coon population was really bad that year so he got a license - he then could either kill them or deliver them live to our local zoo! To this day we still see him leaving the neighborhood with a special cage he had built that attaches to his trailer hitch on his SUV so he can take them to the zoo! It's a standard joke now "Isn't that sweet, Gordie is taking those guys to the zoo! Wonder if he will take them fishing tomorrow or to a baseball game..."

BTW I forgot to add - the "lady" who turned him in to the game warden was feeding "her masked friends" as she called them two loafs of bread every night for a long time! No wonder they were a nuisance patrolling our neighborhood!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Well, since no one else has said it - get rid of the cat door and keep your cats inside. Your cats should not be allowed free range to go on someone else's property. Clearly you don't like it when other animals come on yours. I mean no offense, but I've never understood why people think it's okay to let cats roam free....we don't allow any other type of urban pet to do the same.
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    Options
    The neighbors are very likely grateful for a predator to keep the rats at bay. It is Nawlins, on the river.
    Kemah, TX
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    PNWFoodie said:
    Well, since no one else has said it - get rid of the cat door and keep your cats inside. Your cats should not be allowed free range to go on someone else's property. Clearly you don't like it when other animals come on yours. I mean no offense, but I've never understood why people think it's okay to let cats roam free....we don't allow any other type of urban pet to do the same.
    Cats are worse than coons. Any cat in my yard gets whats coming. In fact, i have a cat skull inside of a Cafe Du Monde coffee can in my kitchen right meow. image
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited June 2014
    Options
    PNWFoodie said:
    Statistic from BCSPCA, expected life of indoor cat - 12 to 20 years; expected life of outdoor cat - 1 to 5 years. Depends where you live of course. In our neighbourhood the Burns Bog coyotes run up a local creek canyon. Always signs of missing cats. 
    Being a dog owner, I often put the run/auto sprinkler on the next door cat. It might all change shortly, we are getting cat licenses soon. 
    Recently a fire in the bog led to discovery of an owl tree, more than 50 collars, mostly feline found under the tree. Don't think @nolaegghead has that issue with other wildlife, his cats seem to take care of themselves. I'm sure we will all find out what happens. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    PNWFoodie said:
    I don't have a problem with animals doing their animal thing on our property as long as their peaceful and don't cause damage, I just draw the line at 30 pound raccoons coming in the house and making a mess.  My brother tried the RFID door and he wasn't that happy with it.  The cats like to go outside, we don't need a litter box, and they keep vermin like rats and mice at bay.  If Travis was my neighbor, I have to say they'd probably be indoor cats.
    Options
    Bush Gumbo in Abita Springs, 'eh????  Drink an Abita and that'll cure ya!

LBGE #19 from North GA Eggfest, 2014

Stockbridge, GA - just south of Atlanta where we are covered up in Zombies!  #TheWalkingDead films practically next door!

• nolaegghead
    Options
    The last three indoor/outdoor cats of ours that died where between the ages of 13 and 18.  Statistically, indoor cats live much longer, but it all depends on where you live.  Our neighborhood is cat friendly.  Dogs running loose are picked up quickly and returned to the owner or the local SPCA, which is half a mile from here.
    Options
    @travisstrick You should hang that skull outside as a warning, might keep the other cats away after seeing the fate of that one. :)

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Well, caught a squirrel and a cat so far, with no bait.  So the traps work. Come around 11PM I'm baiting them and the cats get sequestered inside. 
    Options
    nolaegghead,

Corey at Double M Feed on Holmes Blvd (Terrytown) helped me the last time I had raccoon problems while living in NOLA (Algiers Point).

Chris Rose 

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    If you're estimating the size of the 'coons at 30 lbs, maybe look for a smaller "cat door"?  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• nolaegghead
    Options
    After 11 you'll be a master baiter.
    Won't be the first time.
    Options
    nolan8v said:
    nolaegghead,

Corey at Double M Feed on Holmes Blvd (Terrytown) helped me the last time I had raccoon problems while living in NOLA (Algiers Point).

@nolan8v I used to buy all my animal shots there (dogs and cats).  Would immunize them myself.  Thanks!  Where did you live in Algiers Point?  I used to be on Olivier but now Belleville. 
    Options
    @travisstrick‌. ..you got flagged for the cat joke. I hate cats. If an animal is on your property why not shoot it. @RRP‌. ..you're in Illinois, @nolaegghead‌ is in Louisiana. ..trust me, the same rules don't apply.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • nolan8v
    edited June 2014
    Options
    nolaegghead,

We lived in the 200 block of Olivier (near Old Point Bar).  

We still have a place in the 300 block of Morgan Street (near the former Algiers Landing).
    Chris Rose