Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket using Stoker ATC

Hello all  This is my first forum post and was my first Brisket on my Large BGE.  I purchased a new Stoker ATC unit and just had to try it out last Friday night.  I saw a post earlier this week of a Brisket that featured a terrific smoke ring, to which mine cannot compete.  I did not wrap this nor did I use a water pan.  I wanted to try it bare-bones first so I'd have a basis for comparison later.  I've included a screen shot of the log about 40 minutes or so just before I pulled it out at 195.  I was very pleased with the steadiness of the temperature.  I did manually change the temperature a couple of times towards the end using the software.  I really didn't know what I was doing carving this thing but tried to respect the fact that the grains run perpendicular to each other (point v. flat).  When I do my next one I think I'll try removing the point from the flat before carving each respective piece.  I also did not do a burnt in of the point, which is the one thing I regret--always next time, though.  Anyway, I thought I would share since I took the time to take a few photos--which is a rarity for yours, truly.  I am by no means an accomplished cook so maybe this will give others that are in my category a little confidence (hopefully, it won't scare them away :) ).

imageimageimageimageimage
LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

Comments

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Nice cook, looks great.
    Seattle, WA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168

Most eggcellent brisket right there-way to jump in.  Congrats on the cook!

BTW-welcome aboard and enjoy the journey!

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    Thank you for the kind words and for welcoming me to the site! 

• RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Look's great! Welcome aboard.

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    Welcome to the forum and that Brisket came out looking very taste! Good job!

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Great looking grub! Welcome to the addiction.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited June 2014
    Looks fantastic! On your Stoker probes be sure to run the wire leads over one of the PS legs to protect from direct IR heat. Probes are good up to 400℉-450℉ I believe but, I personally only use on my L&S. Oh and on brisket place your meat probe in the thickest part of the flat (or if you have two probes one in flat and one in the point for a reference) as the point will give odd temps due to the fat content and rendering. Last but, not least double check with a Thermapen (or other test instrument) and pull when like buttuh. Again it looks great man!
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • SPRIGS
    SPRIGS Posts: 482
    Looks darn good!!
    XL BGE
  • mahenryak
    NPHuskerFL said:
    Looks fantastic! On your Stoker probes be sure to run the wire leads over one of the PS legs to protect from direct IR heat. Probes are good up to 400℉-450℉ I believe but, I personally only use on my L&S. Oh and on brisket place your meat probe in the thickest part of the flat (or if you have two probes one in flat and one in the point for a reference) as the point will give odd temps due to the fat content and rendering. Last but, not least double check with a Thermapen (or other test instrument) and pull when like buttuh. Again it looks great man!
    Thank you very much for the tip regarding the probes!  I will definitely take your advice.  Do you bother with the foil wraps on the probes that I see some others using?  Also, I do take a 'trust but verify' approach and use a professional grade instant thermometer that I no doubt overpaid for that is calibrated to some ridiculous tolerance from the factory.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    my $0.02 regarding wrapping the probe wires in foil is this:  That keeps crap off of them but it doesn't insulate them from the heat - you just made a bigger wire.  Putting foil down as a "shield" and running the wires over that foil, now that does help.
    my $0.02 regarding wrapping the probe wires in foil is this:  That keeps crap off of them but it doesn't insulate them from the heat - you just made a bigger wire.  Putting foil down as a "shield" and running the wires over that foil, now that does help.
    Thank you, sir.

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited June 2014
    @mahenryak‌ I did wrap with foil on the first run using it only because I see everybody wrapping other probes. Then I noticed leaks around probe leads because foil was a bit too thick. So then I reduced it and same issue (don't misunderstand though it wasn't much of a leak). Finally for $#it$ & grins I called tech support. They advised there is no need to wrap their probes and that they're good up to 450℉. However you need to protect them from direct IR heat (run over one of the PS legs on both food probes and pit probe). And each probe is serialized for calibration etc and the Stoker recognizes each probe. Set it up for your PC or phone (Android or Apple). If you have issues their tech support is quite helpful but, check out the website and referenced YouTube videos first as a lot of common questions are covered there.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • mahenryak
    @mahenryak‌ I did wrap with foil on the first run using it only because I see everybody wrapping other probes. Then I noticed leaks around probe leads because foil was a bit too thick. So then I reduced it and same issue (don't misunderstand though it wasn't much of a leak). Finally for $#it$ & grins I called tech support. They advised there is no need to wrap their probes and that they're good up to 450℉. However you need to protect them from direct IR heat (run over one of the PS legs on both food probes and pit probe). And each probe is serialized for calibration etc and the Stoker recognizes each probe. Set it up for your PC or phone (Android or Apple). If you have issues their tech support is quite helpful but, check out the website and referenced YouTube videos first as a lot of common questions are covered there.
    Thank you very much for the quick reply.  I will definitely heed the advice and I have downloaded both the PC and iPhone app available.  (Had to pay for the iPhone app but that was okay).