Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Should I expect my Egg to break?

Options
Seems like that's all I'm reading lately. My XL is about a year old ... when should I expect it to crack? I'm beginning to understand their reasoning behind the initial asking price. Just sayin. Not trying to hate on em; cause I still really like my Egg.
My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax

Comments

• anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    From what I hear not many problems.... Just enjoy and don't worry...
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Like anything that expands and contracts I guess. It has the possibility of expansion caused cracks and the obvious egg drop will scramble an egg damn quick. But, just like the 6oclock and 11oclock news»»» good news travels fast and horrible news travels at the speed of light! But, sure it happens and then you have a warranty backed and proven like no other. FWIW
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • DominicMagestic
    Options
    My XL is 9 years old - neaux problema señor.
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
    aka Frank from Houma eggin in Corpus Christi
    Geaux Tigers - Who Dat
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Of course you should. My almost 5 year old large's base has been cracked for at least a year. So has the fire box. Fire box on the mini too. Oh, and the green feet that came with my large are disintegrating before my eyes, Not that the warranty will replace those since they are no longer made. One of these days, I'll get the new parts. So THEY can break.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• FATC1TY
    FATC1TY Posts: 888
    Options
    **** happens.

I've had my current egg for 1.5 years. Crack in my firebox and a plate setter that divided while sitting in my egg after a smoke.

My egg is under cover 100% of the time, and hasn't been rained on. Live in a climate that doesn't get too extreme in hot or cold, mostly.

-FATC1TY
    Grillin' and Brewing in Atlanta
    LBGE
    MiniMax
  • Monty77
    Monty77 Posts: 667
    Options
    I just found a large crack across the bottom of my egg earlier in the week, it is all the way though so warranty has already been approved and a new egg bottom is on route.  I am a fairy heavy user of the egg, so I am not surprised this occurred, but I am satisfied with the commitment to warranty.  My egg is almost 4 years old and used a ton.  
    Large BGE 2011, XL BGE 2015, Mini Max 2015, and member of the "North of the Border Smokin Squad" Canadian Outdoor Chef from London, Ontario, Canada

https://www.flickr.com/photos/monty77/

• Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options
    I don't expect my egg to crack but if it does, lifetime warranty! That's why they aren't cheap.
    NW IOWA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Eggs are designed to crack.  That's what they do.
    Options
    I learned a long time ago from Humpty Dumpty. Eggs break, but speaking from experience, if all the Kings horses and Men can't put it back together again, that's what the lifetime warranty is for.
    otter Posts: 342
    Options
    My base cracked on 2 yr. old large, replacement at dealer...
    Pure Michigan
    Grand Rapids, Michigan  LBGE, SBGE
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Actually, eggs (chicken that is) are quite remarkable structures. Take a fresh egg and put it in the palm of your hand. Then, keeping your thumb fully extended, wrap your four fingers around the egg. Now, squeeze as hard as you can and see what happens. Make sure that use an egg that does not have any cracks and do not press in with the tips of your fingers.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    Actually, eggs (chicken that is) are quite remarkable structures. Take a fresh egg and put it in the palm of your hand. Then, keeping your thumb fully extended, wrap your four fingers around the egg. Now, squeeze as hard as you can and see what happens. Make sure that use an egg that does not have any cracks and do not press in with the tips of your fingers.
    There's one (or more) in every crowd, :))
    The Naked Whiz
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Here is a good one. Buy a gasser and when the burners fail ask the manufacturer to replace it for free and see how much more you will love the lifetime warranty
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    Options
    We sell over 250 Eggs a year, been selling Eggs for 9 years.  We handle practically all warranty issues in the SF Bay Area.  We've warrantied maybe 5/6 bases over that time.  We see maybe 15/20 fireboxes a year.  A true testamate to the product IMO.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    @SMITTYtheSMOKER‌ i agree 100 percent. I keep my eggs working like new by having multiple eggs. Maybe that's the ticket? Hey good selling point if nothing else
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    All this drastic failure talk freaked me out. I've got an Egg that has been sitting out in the weather for 8 years, mostly uncovered. Used probably 1600 times, many for cooking above 650, and gone thru several grease fires. Cracked the ring in the first year, but am still using it. Cracked the firebox, and after 5 years, it finally fell to pieces. (Didn't bother to JB weld it together.)

So I ran out just now to do my usual early summer cleaning. Oh No! there was a ring like dark line on the unglazed bottom.

Took out the ring, took out the box. Swept ashes. Scraped away greasy gunk. And...

Nothing.

Dang, I'm gettin' too old for this sort of thing.
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options

Here is a good one. Buy a gasser and when the burners fail ask the manufacturer to replace it for free and see how much more you will love the lifetime warranty

Just an FYI my Fire Magics cast stainless steel burners do have a lifetime warranty.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Carolina Q
    Options
    We sell over 250 Eggs a year, been selling Eggs for 9 years.  We handle practically all warranty issues in the SF Bay Area.  We've warrantied maybe 5/6 bases over that time.  We see maybe 15/20 fireboxes a year.  A true testamate to the product IMO.
    Guess I'm a just a lucky guy then with a base and two fireboxes for just little ol' me. Having a long warranty is great. Having to use it is not. 

Buddy of mine and I were talking about BMWs one day. He bought his new with whatever warranty they have (maybe paid extra for, can't remember). He said he would NEVER buy one without a warranty. Long ago, I owned one too and agree with my friend. Like eggs,- always in the shop, expensive parts, warranty mandatory.

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    Options
    I will say I have customers that play on the "hot-side" with their love for pizza on the Egg. They do appear to have more damage than others.  Fire is a powerful thing, lifetime warranties are nice to have.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Carolina Q
    Options
    Yeah, I did a few 900° pizzas though I no longer do. That may explain my base, but there's not much you can do to avoid overheated fireboxes. 

In any case, I no longer do pizzas on the egg at any temp. :) 

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options

There's one (or more) in every crowd, :))

Try it; you will not be able to break the egg. Make sure you are not wearing any rings on whichever hand you use
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    When I took pics of my cracked Egg to the dealer they were not completely sure what to do. It was the first warranty claim they have had in the years they been selling BGE in multiple stores. I think the bad stuff stands out because (insert number of forum members here - hundreds/thousands?) don't post when their Egg doesn't crack. Like if you work in a payroll department, nobody ever calls to say 'thanks for getting my check correct' but screw up a few and the phone starts ringing.
    RickyBobby Posts: 744
    Options
    Hey, go with the flow ... right? I'm not complaining the least bit. I'm just saying/asking; should I more or less expect it to break? That's all.
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax