Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

World Cup Pick 'Em

I know this forum pretty much bleeds red, white, and blue... but is anyone interested in a BGE world cup Pick 'Em Pool on Yahoo or ESPN?  First pick is due by 4:00 today.

Let me know if you want me to start something...

-Large BGE since 6-13
-Indianapolis, IN

Comments

• nick_banich
    nick_banich Posts: 110
    http://y.ahoo.it/kT5N4uLf

Name: BGE Forum
    Password: BGE
    -Large BGE since 6-13
    -Indianapolis, IN

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Not sure is be able to fill out an entry on my phone (assuming work would block, as they do for NCAA basketball brackets) but I would do one if I can.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    NICE!  I didnt think this Forum would be into the World Cup, but I have been counting down the days. I just got my new USA Jersey last night . . . cant wait to belly up at the bar on Monday and root for the Red White & Blue. 

We might have waited too long for the bracket though.  I am short on time today and I do not even have a yahoo account.  Sorry . . but GO AMERICA! 
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • nick_banich
    Ya tried searching for one this AM and didn't see it so figured it was better off late than never - might even be able to join late - just miss the points from today...
    -Large BGE since 6-13
    -Indianapolis, IN

• msloan
    msloan Posts: 399
    i wish i could "get into it"....but it literally does nothing for me....no disrespect meant to anyone that enjoys it......all the hype leading up the world cup sort of gets me fired up and then I try to watch the games and i just cant make it through them.
    gettin lucky in kentucky!   2 XL eggs!
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,795

I'm in Brazil - Salvador to be specific.  Just got back from 4 nights in the Amazon and arrived in Salvador this morning.  About to head out to a beach bar in my Brazil jersey to watch the opening ceremonies and match with the locals.  Then tomorrow we have tickets for Spain vs Netherlands, followed by Monday tickets for Germany vs Portugal, and next Friday tickets for Switzerland vs France.  All of our seats are in the first 8 rows.  So, I guess I am pretty into it....

I just got internet access about an hour ago and I don't see doing any pics in my future.  I'll be full of caiparinhas soon.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    And I though I was dedicated by leaving work early to catch the match...
  • nick_banich
    Haha

Good news is the picks lock 5 minutes before each match.  So you only need 15 seconds to login and then pick Brazil to win 5-0 today. 
    -Large BGE since 6-13
    -Indianapolis, IN

• NDG
    edited June 2014
    WOW @foghorn  . . . are you being serial?   If so, you are living my dream.  I understand many think soccer is boring, but nothing can match the passion of the World Cup.  Taking place in Brazil (home of the beautiful game) makes it extra special.Plus, your tickets are for some of the best match-ups in the group stage.  I am a big Arsenal fan so you will be able to watch plenty of my favs live w/ Spain & Germany, so jealous.  

Please post some pics . .  I am sure you will have an awesome time! 
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424

I suspect most people who are interested have seen this, but here is a link to the TV schedule:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/soccer-insider/wp/2014/06/09/2014-world-cup-preview-tv-listings-and-game-schedule/

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• DRice
    DRice Posts: 2
    I'm in.  Been looking forward to this for 4 year. 
  • nick_banich
    My boss is German- I told him he shouldn't show up to work on the 27th if the US draws or wins. 
    -Large BGE since 6-13
    -Indianapolis, IN

• NDG
    German Boss?  Ouch . . sorry to hear that.

Kidding . . kind of.  I work with a few German MFG companies and they do exxxxcellent work, but I have learned over the years that the German Way is ALWAYS the right way.  End of story.
    Columbus, OH

• Foghorn
    NDG said:
    WOW @foghorn  . . . are you being serial?   If so, you are living my dream.  I understand many think soccer is boring, but nothing can match the passion of the World Cup.  Taking place in Brazil (home of the beautiful game) makes it extra special.Plus, your tickets are for some of the best match-ups in the group stage.  I am a big Arsenal fan so you will be able to watch plenty of my favs live w/ Spain & Germany, so jealous.  

Please post some pics . .  I am sure you will have an awesome time! 

Very serial. In 2010 we went to South Africa and saw 5 matches (France-Uruguay, US-England, Brazil-NKorea, Argentinia-SKorea, Italy-NewZealand) and went on 3 safaris between matches.  It was the best thing we have ever done as a family.  This time we are traveling with a colleague who a native Brazilian so he was tremendously helpful and in making the arrangements and is keeping us out of trouble.  My kids are 19 and 17 and we may not choose to go to Russia in 2018 so this may be our last one.

Watching tonight's match in a bar with free-flowing beer and caiparinhas (made with just about any fruit), a native who knew what food to order, and several hundred partying Brazilians was a great way to start the World Cup.  Seeing tomorrow's rematch of the 2010 finalists from the 2nd row should be a great 2nd day.  And so it goes. 

If you ever decide to go, contact me and I'll walk you through the strategy on how to approach the ticket lottery and overall planning that has served us well.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• nick_banich
    @Foghorn‌ tell us you have pics from yesterday!

For everyone else... it's still too not late to join
    -Large BGE since 6-13
    -Indianapolis, IN

• Foghorn
    edited June 2014

My wife took this. This is the low res version so don't be too critical if it is somewhat grainy.  Our internet access is limited.  It turns out that the first row - "A" - is blocked off as it was covered with tarp. We were in row "B" - the first row but elevated about 8 feet above field level. We were straight up from the 18 yard line.  Only one goal was scored on our end but it was awesome.

The helpless look of Sergio Ramos in this pic is just a bonus...

San Antonio, TX

• itsmce
    itsmce Posts: 410
    jealous
    Large (sometimes wish it were an XL) in KS
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Yeah well I bought world cup 2014 and put Donovan in my 23 and wifey and I killed Ghana last night 13-0. I won't be impressed until I see a pic of a mini in the seat next to you.
  • nick_banich
    @Foghorn‌ goal of the tournament. So freakin jealous
    -Large BGE since 6-13
    -Indianapolis, IN

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    @Foghorn - I'm jealous!  That's a great picture, BTW.
    and that goal was awesome! The Dutch team played its best soccer (voetbal) in 4 years,
  • Foghorn
    edited June 2014
    The Dutch were definitely at the top of their game - unlike Euro 2012.  I loved Robben's second goal.  The way he twisted the defense and had Casillas flopping around like a fish was brilliant.  He showed incredible speed - especially for a guy who looks as old as he does.

San Antonio, TX

• Foghorn

To put our seats in perspective, this is an iphone pic.

Tomorrow for Germany-Portugal we are in the same section, 6 rows higher and 20 seats further from midfield toward the endline. 

We got our tickets in the first lottery before we even knew which teams were playing, then we got great teams in the draw, then when we picked up our tickets they were awesome seats.  It's like we won the lottery twice.  Is this what it feels like to be @Cazzy?

San Antonio, TX

• NDG
    edited June 2014
    That is unbelievable - this cup has been awesome so far.   Great RVP picture!!!  I have been playing/watching soccer my whole life, and that first RVP goal was ridiculous.  The cross was so early and so long . .  it traveled in the air for almost half the field, so I have no idea how RVP followed the ball at a full sprint that far, then aligned his body perfectly to put such a soft/precision header over the keeper but under the crossbar?  Crazy focus by a crazy athlete!

Thanks for the pics and enjoy Germany / Portugal today !!

ALSO, my dad wanted to celebrate Fathers Day during the Ghana USA game tonight so we are all meeting up as a family for beers and some RED/WHITE/BLUE pride - GO AMERICA!
    Columbus, OH

• NDG
    video (if anybody has not seen it):  http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=11078816
    Columbus, OH

• Foghorn
    edited June 2014
    Today in the stands at the Germany-Portugal game my son and I were thinking that the Portugal coach's halftime speech went something like this:  "Pepe, you're an idiot.  Nobody else be an idiot.  Now that we have that out of the way let's talk strategy.  We're down 3-0 playing a man short for the rest of the game because Pepe is an idiot.  Let's just coast in the second half so we don't wear ourselves out.  There is no way we are getting any points out of this game, so we need to save our energy for the US and Ghana."

San Antonio, TX

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    @Foghorn‌ I just saw the RVP shot. Glorious. One of the best goals I've ever seen. That rivals some of the official shots that are are circulating.
  • nick_banich
    @Foghorn‌ I hate you. It is out of pure jealousy. Haha. Please keep sending more pics!!!!
    -Large BGE since 6-13
    -Indianapolis, IN