Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Raccoon invasion. Morality question.

nolaegghead
nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
We have a cat door and 5 cats that go in and out, we live in a very urban neighborhood - as old as the French Quarter established 1719. 

We are being invaded by raccoons.  They've been coming in the house through the cat door.  They're **** sneaky, they come in and dig in to the cat food and splash cat water all over the place, try to drag bags of cat food out the cat door. 

Enough is enough.  You can't shoot raccoons in city limits, but if they invade your house, is it justifiable to shoot 'em?  I have a good collection of supersonic, .22 and .177 caliber pellet hunting rifles.  I'm about to go Rambo on these little f*ckers.  I'll have a sword if they attack, I doubt a pellet will kill one unless it's well aimed.  I have real guns, but I think that's gonna break some serious laws if I use them.  My neighbor's houses average 4' away on each side of ours.  They invade around 11PM on.  Sleeping hour.

If I'm off the forum for a while, I'll be getting a series of painful rabies shots.

Nola out.

Comments

• nick_banich
    nick_banich Posts: 110
    Fight chaos with chaos. Cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war
    -Large BGE since 6-13
    -Indianapolis, IN

• nolaegghead
    @biggreenpharmacist

Yeah, I think you're right.  This happened last night, and it was three blocks from me.  I never heard it.  Or, at least I never noticed it.

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
    06/11/2014

ON Wednesday June 11, 2014 at about 1:30 am, an armed carjacking was reported in the 800 block of Belleville St.

The victim stated he was at a business in the area where he was approached by black female who he knew as "Moonie".  "moonie asked the victim if he could give her and her friend (unknown black female) a ride to her residence.

The victim brought the the females to the 800 block of belleville and stopped near the intersection of Homer St. and Belleville St.  When he stopped the women exited the vehicle and an unknown black male with a white bandanna around his face approached the victim and produced a handgun.  The perpetrator informed the victim to "get out the car and give me everything in your pockets".  The victim exited the car and elected to run away.  The victim was able to slap the gun in the perpetrators hands and run away.  The perpetrator then fired several shots at the victim, NOT striking him.  the victim said when he felt safe he called the police.  While on the phone he observed his vehicle 2000 GMC Yukon gold in color driving away from the scene.

The victim also noticed that the women were no longer in the area.

If anyone has any information on the incidenet you are asked to contact the 4th District at 658-6040

Little Rock, AR

• jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    Since you titled the post "Morality Question", I think you already have your answer.
    Kemah, TX
  • nolaegghead
    I'm pretty sure the raccoons didn't hijack the guy.  I'm fine with raccoons outside, along with the possums, squirrels and birds.  All happy happy joy joy - they all get along.  The cats don't give a ****, except they want to catch the squirrels, but that ain't gonna happen.  

But comin' in the house and effin sh*t up, that's a line that just done been crossed one too many times.  Cajun Rambo has been activated.  I might be up all night. 
    aka Frank from Houma eggin in Corpus Christi
    Geaux Tigers - Who Dat
  • nolaegghead

jllbms said:
    Since you titled the post "Morality Question", I think you already have your answer.
    I want moral support.   I want the little bastards out.  If we herd all the cats in the house at night and close the cat door, they whine like little bitches.  The cats are used to their freedom, horses done left the barn on that.
    edited June 2014
    I caught two last week that had decided our attic was there personal sex den. I wanted to toss them in the lak in there cage so but my wife said no. Next best thing I took them up to Kenneth Copelands church and let them loose (I'm sorry to anyone if your affiliated with Copelands church and you see raccoons roaming around).

I have actually killed a few with my pellet gun, its a high powered one 1400fps and I always try to go for a head shot.

Hope no ones thinks I'm inhumane or anything but raccoons tear S..T up and carry numerous diseases. Actually we had one s a pet when I was a child and even that one got into everything In the house and tore crap up.

Or you could toughen up your cats and teach them how to protect there house.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    'Catch in in a coat and hit it with a hammer.' Name the movie. If that doesn't work, I say shoot them
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Tjcoley said:
    'Catch in in a coat and hit it with a hammer.' Name the movie. If that doesn't work, I say shoot them

Christmas Vacation

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Thats a tough one clark.

Little Rock, AR

• nolaegghead
    @TUTTLE871 (how'd ya get that handle anyway?) Yeah, I don't like to kill animals unless I'm gonna eat them.  And I don't want to eat these guys.  I'm not the dude that shoots squirrels and birds for the **** of it.  But I'm at my wits end here.  SWMBO is worried about them spreading disease... who knows if they crawl up on the cutting board table?  We do know they travel through the sewers, or at least the drainage system.  They haul ass into those when they're seeking refuge.

I'm thinking the intruders must die. Or at least not want to come in our house anymore because it don't feel good.
    I don't know about how the raccoons are down there, but I live in Wisconsin and the raccoons up here laugh at us while giving us the finger every time we try to shoot them with a .177 pellet gun. Use the .22 and be prepared to put another one into those b@stards. I've never had to plug one inside my house, though. One idea... We've had to get them out of a garage and what we did was use a fishing net to scoop them up. If you're able to get someone to scoop them up with the net first, it will make your accuracy better.
    Large BGE

Neenah, WI
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    I live out in the woods so we've seen coons, opossum, cougars, deer, gators, many snakes, armadillos, etc etc. The most destructive have been armadillos. A small trap with a little soft kitty food and you'll trap a Coon. I've done it many times. I've also gone ape $hi+ crazy and waited outside to shoot armadillos as these SOBs are the most difficult to trap (lots if patience and bait does absolutely nothing)! We ended up capturing 8 armidillos that damaged close to $1,500 damage to our 1.25-1.5 acre lot. imageimageimage
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • TUTTLE871
    TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    edited June 2014
    @nolaegghead‌ Im with you on that one of not killing animals for fun either but they are affecting your way of life. You can always set up traps but take the risk of your cats taking a looksie and getting trapped. 

To be honest my neighbor at the lake has been at war with raccoons for years. Like he said he has won a few battles but is not going to win the war.

It's my last name. I wasn't original when I made it.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• xiphoid007
    xiphoid007 Posts: 536
    edited June 2014
    I don't know about your neck of the woods, but in mine you can contact local animal control and they will give you a couple cages for a small deposit. Set the traps where the little f@#$%&s are going, bait them with anything (apples work great) and bam.

Usually you can call animal control and they will dispose of the varmits for you. You will then typically get your deposit back.

You could also roast one low and slow and stick him on a pike to warn the other bastards!

What kind of smoke goes well with raccoon??
    >:)
    Pittsburgh, PA - 1 LBGE
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    OBW the coon was released out in the woods about 15 mi away from my home. The armadillos were neutralized. I actually had to break down and pay a pro to trap them and shortly after did it myself after I saw the trick of trapping them.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • nolaegghead
    @NPHuskerFL - I was at a friend's granny's house in my high school days, and we were sitting around antique couches sipping tea, and this was out in the country, around Kerrville, TX.  Anyway, granny spots an armadillo in her garden in the back.  She screams like a satanic harpy and runs into the back, grabs a shovel and starts hacking the little creature like it was a scene from a horror movie.  I seem to remember she was splattered with blood and smiling while trying to catch her breath after turning it into a cube steak.  Horrific.  But that 'dillo ain't commin' back. 
    Nice visual. :)) I pictured Granny from the Beverly Hillbillies doing that. Lol.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • nolaegghead
    TUTTLE871 said:
    @nolaegghead‌ Im with you on that one of not killing animals for fun either but they are affecting your way of life. You can always set up traps but take the risk of your cats taking a looksie and getting trapped. 

To be honest my neighbor at the lake has been at war with raccoons for years. Like he said he has won a few battles but is not going to win the war.

I'm gonna go the trap route this weekend.  These little bastards are smart as hell, they're probably reading my thread as I type, deciding to wage BALAKE war with different tactics.  One night stand. They come in tonight, lead will be flying.  I'm gonna prep an ambush. 

I meant the 871, mostly.
    edited June 2014
    Coons aren't that difficult to trap. Probably easier than R Kelly with a 15 y.o. >:)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • nolaegghead
    hahaha that's hilarious!
    TUTTLE871 said:

I'm gonna go the trap route this weekend.  These little bastards are smart as hell, they're probably reading my thread as I type, deciding to wage BALAKE war with different tactics.  One night stand. They come in tonight, lead will be flying.  I'm gonna prep an ambush. 

I meant the 871, mostly.
    BDAY.. Don't tell anyone! Everyone will know my age and I will lose all credibility.

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Nanook
    Nanook Posts: 846
    Kill em......they won't come back.......
    GWN
  • nolaegghead
    Picked out two powerful .22 guns.  Trying to find pellets.  SWMBO might be rudely awakened, these things are loud

@tuttle871 - I won't tell.  I'm 50 in rocktober, so I'm older than you.  Don't feel old or you'll make me feel bad.

@Nanook.  That's plan A.  If they're reading this post, I'll be catching them with traps this weekend.  Might have to take tomorrow off if this turns into an alcohol fueled vigil that lasts all night.  Think gopher in....guess.
    I have a green patch behind my house so I get a lot of animals eating my cats food. A few times of being out of town my dogs have killed critters. My dog Eve has killed raccoons, possums, and skunks. She has a bark that scares the **** out of them, and she jumps on the gate and shakes the fence LOL.

Luckily, they don't come inside. I'd get a trap and and let them go.. in the bayou.
  • nolaegghead
    OK.  The mystery of where the mouse the cats dragged into the house has been solved.  Darwin, the polydactyl male kibby was throwing something at my legs.  I ignored him, was on my 'puter.  Looked down, behold the mouse.  Long dead, threw it in the trash just now.

Here's 5 minutes ago.  At my feet.

Looks like ur goin on safari tonight!!
    GWN