Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Secret BBQ Rub

500 Posts: 3,177
edited June 2014 in Sauces, Rubs, Marinades
I couldn't get over to get some Dizzy Dust, so I made my own BBQ rub. I'll share all the ingredients, except for what's in my Secret Salt. Long story on the recipe for that, but you have to marry into the family to get the recipe. 500's SECRET BBQ RUB: ½ cup Light Brown Sugar ¼ cup Sweet Paprika 1 tbsp. Chili Powder 1 tbsp. Onion Powder 1 tbsp. Garlic Powder 1 tbsp. Cayenne Pepper 1 tbsp. Secret Salt 1 tbsp. Fresh Cracked Black Pepper ½ tea. Coriander ½ tea. Ground Mustard
I like my butt rubbed and my pork pulled.
Member since 2009

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    NaCl?
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Is your last name Lawry? :D
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Potassium Chloride with a dash of R Kelly secret sauce?
    @nolaegghead‌ yep that would really set it off. :)) pink curing salt or Himalayan salt?
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    @NPHuskerFL - I'm just speculating.  Onion-style. That's only worth a squirt of piss.  ;)
    edited June 2014
    Secret ingredient is nutmeg! image

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    The problem with store bought seasoning salts, rubs, etc is too much NaCl IMO. I nearly always mix my own, and I probably never make it the same anyway.    And with the exception of baking, anytime I make something from a recipe, I always use less salt than the recipe recommends.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

OK, so here's the story on the Secret Salt recipe.  Long ago, when I was a kid, we would visit friends of the family.  They had this seasoned salt.  My parents enjoyed the salt so much they asked for the recipe.  The line from them would always be, "I'll make you some, but I can't give you the recipe."  This went on for years until finally my parent's friends broke down gave the recipe to my parents.  Some years later, my parent's friends got a divorce.  She moved out of state and took the salt recipe with her.  He would still get together with my parents, but now he didn't have the recipe.  He asked my parent's for the salt recipe.  My parent's told him, "I'll make you some, but I can't give you the recipe."  It's been a family secret ever since.  It has like nine ingredients, of which one of those ingredients is a mix of a number of other things.  We use in place of table salt.
    Member since 2009
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Thanks for sharing!
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    So do you have a single sister?
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Let me guess: The divoced lady's name was Jane and she was krazy and kinda mixed up.
    Flint, Michigan
    edited June 2014
    I've considered marketing it and selling little bottles of it at Farmer's Markets and getting into local stores, but haven't made a run at it yet. I've made a low salt version that works as a general purpose rub. Thinking of other types of rub to incorporate it in.
    Member since 2009
  • leo123
    leo123 Posts: 101
    any pics of the single women in your family. I may need the recipe for your Secret Salt
    Wow. Thread rehash. Sorry, all the girls have been betrothed since they were 12. 
    Member since 2009
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    edited September 2015
    What's the point of posting anything that's a "secret" so you can''t post it? Sure, you get a lot of attention for the story. so that's probably why you post it. I'm not grumpy, just don't like wasting my time.
    Judy in San Diego
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    True story, best pizza I ever had was a secret dough recipe with nothing but secret salt and secret rub on it.  I like a dry pizza so I skipped the secret sauce.
  • I know a secret about uncle toms cabin. 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

My way of thinking is different I suppose.  I don't understand keeping recipes secret, unless money is being made from it.  

Other than those on this forum, people are generally too lazy to cook anyway.

Phoenix 
    I made a new homemade rub this weekend that is different from the "secret" rub. I'll share it fully. 
    Member since 2009