Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

small egg hi Temp

In the past I read about small eggs not getting up to hi temps.I've never tryed to get mine over 500 until today. I stopped at 700 and it was still climbing.

Comments

• wmcguire93
    wmcguire93 Posts: 53
    By reports I have read, it seems like a hit or a miss.  Some people say they have bottom and top vents wide open and can't get much above 350.  Others don't seem to have a problem.

I for one have a small with a stock grate that reaches 600 plus with no effort.
    Texas Aggie transplanted in Georgia
    Large BGE, Small BGE, more accessories than I'm willing to tell the Mrs. about.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    I've noticed that if you lock it in at a lower temp, it then takes quite a bit to get it to climb again. If I just leave the vents wide open after the fire is established, it has no problem reaching high temps. Not sure if this is real or not, but the last time I reverse seared a steak it didn't want to seem to climb after the roast stage without assistance from my shop vac. The other day I fire it up to do some grilling and it had no problem climbing straight to 550* with no effort.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    The small performs vastly different than my other four eggs. It's an airflow issue. I bought the base and dome for my medium from another forum member. He could not get it to high temps. Bge replaced his dome and base, but not the fire ring or box. They were undersized, leaving a gap around them. I bought a fire ring and box from bge for it, and they had a snug fit. That medium is an inferno now. My small has the same issue he had, the ring and box have a gap around it so air does not always draw through the fire like I want it to. It makes the small sluggish, big time. I have plugged the gap with foil, and that helped a ton. So the many people that say they have small problems, I believe them. They likely know what they are doing, but their small requires a lot of adjustments to make it take off to high heat. Most of the time the lack of high heat doesn't matter. Now when I want high heat, I fire up the medium, that thing gets hot, very fast.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    The small has taken on a legend of its own - that's for sure! I am in the camp that loves it and whether I want to limit it at 325 or let her rip to 775 I have no problem! The issue of why some will and some won't makes no sense. I just know I love my small BGE and it gets about 65% of all my cooks! BTW I never use a daisey or any other restriction on my dome, but I do control the temp by the bottom vent only!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • tcampbell
    tcampbell Posts: 771
    The small performs vastly different than my other four eggs. It's an airflow issue. I bought the base and dome for my medium from another forum member. He could not get it to high temps. Bge replaced his dome and base, but not the fire ring or box. They were undersized, leaving a gap around them. I bought a fire ring and box from bge for it, and they had a snug fit. That medium is an inferno now. My small has the same issue he had, the ring and box have a gap around it so air does not always draw through the fire like I want it to. It makes the small sluggish, big time. I have plugged the gap with foil, and that helped a ton. So the many people that say they have small problems, I believe them. They likely know what they are doing, but their small requires a lot of adjustments to make it take off to high heat. Most of the time the lack of high heat doesn't matter. Now when I want high heat, I fire up the medium, that thing gets hot, very fast.
    You are right about the medium it will get really hot and do it fast.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    @RRP‌ is your SBGE your "designated baking" egg? I recall you stating sometime back you have one egg for baking only.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    My small has a gap around the fire box and ring, gets to temp without a problem.  The max I've had it is 600 with the OEM grate.  Need to throw the high-que grate in there to see a significant change?  I really do not understand the need to go past 500-600 in the small, but what the hell.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• RRP
    edited June 2014
    @RRP‌ is your SBGE your "designated baking" egg? I recall you stating sometime back you have one egg for baking only.
    my Medium egg is my baking egg and no, it has never had meat cooked inside...besides all that...it has never been over 350 degrees nor had wood chips and actually at 11 years old is still tan inside!
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    @RRP‌ Well at least I recollected you had an official baking BGE :D
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • RRP said:

The small has taken on a legend of its own - that's for sure! I am in the camp that loves it and whether I want to limit it at 325 or let her rip to 775 I have no problem! The issue of why some will and some won't makes no sense. I just know I love my small BGE and it gets about 65% of all my cooks! BTW I never use a daisey or any other restriction on my dome, but I do control the temp by the bottom vent only!

I use my daisy for low and slow, but any other cook over 300 i just use bottom vent. And I LOVE my small.

Little Rock, AR

• RRP
    @RRP‌ Well at least I recollected you had an official baking BGE :D

LOL...you get the cigar!
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    edited June 2014
    I have pegged the thermo but only by mistake. I have had the HighQ from day one so I only guess that made a difference. I agree with @dmw that it does seem to stall out once an established fire has been built but if I let it go from the beginning it will get hot fast

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.