Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Small Cooks on the XL

Options
dldawes1
dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
Just curious as to how everyone else handles cooking a couple steaks, a couple pork chops, a couple burgers, etc on the XL.  I have been thinking about getting a metal dividing ring to sit in the middle of the lump /firebox to isolate the fire to a small area when needing to cook a small portion.

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

My next thought is to go buy a small/MED egg to sit beside the XL.

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

Comments

• fruitguy
    fruitguy Posts: 303
    Options
    Currently only own an XL for our family. Wife and two young kids. Personally I just cook with a full load, when finished just close her up. Doing steaks, burgers, fish etc, I can cook about 4 meals before I need to reload. Because of this I have not looked into a lump reducing ring or other items. I am looking at adding a medium though. More to take to the lake, but I am sure I would use it when it is just the family.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    I bought a small egg. :D

But before I did, I would use the XL as normal and just snuff the lump out when done. Lump reducer and/or angle thingies from ceramic grill store are available. Not sure how long it would take to save enough lump to pay for those, however there are other uses for them as well.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • radamo
    radamo Posts: 373
    Options
    I only have an XL as well.  I had the same concerns about coal usage.  I noticed it is actually pretty efficient. I  now use the same routine for all.  After each cook I take a 1x2 and push the remaining coals around to get the ash to drop through and then refill with fresh lump.  Light in one to three spots depending on if it is a direct cook or indirect (indirect I light one spot).  Once done cooking I seal her up and let the coals go out.  

Works well, goes through coal at a controllable pace and always consistent.  
    Long Island, NY
  • bakoque
    bakoque Posts: 50
    Options
    I use a lump reducing ring from the Ceramic Grill Store and attached it to a Webber grate when I saw this post: http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1134280/lump-reducing-ring-for-the-xl
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options
    I use the CGS Lump Reducing Ring on my XL most of the time.  I'm not sure the reason is really to save lump.  The XL doesn't really use that much, as others have said.  I like it because if I'm doing a small direct cook, it takes less time for the lump to be lit.  It's pretty darn quick.  It works well with the Woo2 for searing also.  For a few steaks, chops, or spatchcock chicken it works great, even with veggies.  I've even used it on turbo ribs - it will easily go much longer than a couple hours at 350. 
    Santa Paula, CA
  • mimauler
    mimauler Posts: 136
    Options
    I'm there with "fruitguy" been doing it like that for years.  I would, however, consider the mini max to take to the beach. 
  • GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Options
    I'm with the other guys, just cook what your cooking and shut it down. No need to spend money on lump reducers. Just cap it and shut the bottom vent.
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1156105/this-is-crazy

Weber charcoal baskets? You could get those for about $15. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• corey24
    corey24 Posts: 386
    edited June 2014
    Options
    I bought the angle L brackets from the ceramic grill store and I would STRONGLY recommend those.  It lets you split the firebox any way you like.  You can cut it in half and use half for direct other half for indirect.  You can make 75% direct and 25% indirect. Tons of times I have direct cooked something over the fire and but a pan of vege's or corn or something else of indirect side.  You also have a spot for something that has gotten too much fire and is about to burn.  Drastically saves lump, still cooks great and I don't notice much if any time getting up to temp with less charcoal.  You get great airflow with less charcoal loaded.  Again, I would definitely consider this option.  I have loved it. I also preferred the brackets over the ring because I feel the give you more flexibility.  Go the CGS and check them out. 

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana

• r8rs4lf
    r8rs4lf Posts: 317
    Options
    I had the same issue with my XL until I recently added a M. I've used my XL one time for pizza since I got the M. The M gets about 95% of the cooks now a days. Get a smaller egg. You won't regret it.
  • rholt
    rholt Posts: 392
    Options
    Let me start out by saying I love my XL. I have the same family dynamic as you (wife and two small kids). Since I am a penny pincher I do the easiest thing possible. After each cook I stir the lump and then push it all to the back of my egg. Basically the lump for the most part stays where you put it. It also makes my XL more versatile by giving me direct and indirect zones. When my small stash of coal needs it I just dump in a little extra coal and pile it on the one side. It still heats up just as fast and I am not wasting unnecessary BTU's by lighting the entire bottom full of lump. Trust me on this one.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options

I have a Small and Mini so I don't do this often but the ANG-L brackets from the CGS store work well.  This was a raised direct cook with some rib tips.

XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Grillmagic
    Grillmagic Posts: 1,600
    edited June 2014
    Options
    I have a XL and the angle bracket as well and they work great. I often use them to direct and indirect at the same time.
    Chuck
    Dimondale , Michigan
    www.chuckkingcomedy.com
    Charlotte, Michigan XL BGE
  • EggSpinner
    EggSpinner Posts: 69
    Options
    I have an XL and use 2 fire bricks to split the fire box.  Cheap and it works well. Mostly use left over lump from previous larger cooks.  Did a brisket over a week ago and have used that same lump for 5 more quick cooks of an hour and a 1/2 or less and still have a little left.image
    Michael 

Winston Salem, NC

• stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Options

I have an XL  lump reducing ring,  I have used the ring 4 or 5 times in 4 years.  if I want a small load of lump or the fire localized to an area,  I just push it all to the from or rear before starting.  Don't think it is necessary. I wish I would have bought a bottle of Patron instead.  ,

I just close up the egg, and I usually get 4 or 5 cooks out of a load. 

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options

I have an XL  lump reducing ring,  I have used the ring 4 or 5 times in 4 years.  if I want a small load of lump or the fire localized to an area,  I just push it all to the from or rear before starting.  Don't think it is necessary. I wish I would have bought a bottle of Patron instead.  ,

I just close up the egg, and I usually get 4 or 5 cooks out of a load. 

Exactly correct.  Don't over analyze it, you won't burn any appreciable extra amount of lump lighting up the XL for a smaller cook than you would in a Large, Medium or Small.  Dividers and rings are a waste of money, I know from experience.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Cookinbob
    Cookinbob Posts: 1,691
    Options
    I have the lump reducing ring which I use often, but like others push to the back for direct/indirect. Works great
    XLBGE, Small BGE, Homebrew and Guitars
    Rochester, NY
  • avibug
    avibug Posts: 172
    Options
    I generally just light it the same even if I have a small cook but, like EggSplitter, have on occasion used fire bricks to concentrate the lump.  
    GATABITES Posts: 1,260
    Options
    I have the lump reducing ring. I use it from time to time. It works best for wok and searing right over the coal cooking. 
    XL BGE 
    Joe JR 
    Baltimore, MD
  • cortguitarman
    cortguitarman Posts: 2,061
    Options
    +1 on angle L brackets
    Mark Annville, PA
  • mark11
    mark11 Posts: 55
    Options
    I only have an XL and do the same as many here. I light the whole thing and snuff it out when I'm done cooking. Stir it up, add some lump and cook again the next time.
  • jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    Options
    I use a lump reducing ring $20 on a Large, and it works great! Keeps the side holes from getting plugged, so temp control is very easy.
    Kemah, TX
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    Just pile the coals on one side and cook over that. No extra metal needed. I do use my medium much more than my XL. Medium is a great size for most meals for 4 people.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    @STEVESAILS, DOC_EGGERTON.....I think I'll just continue to snuff and refill/relight.......it's easy !!!!!!

Thanks everyone for your input, all responses are greatly appreciated.

PS,

Rockwood lasts forever anyway  ;)

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !!