Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What to cook, what to cook... (Father's Day...please advise!)

Options
Here's the challenge:

I'm hosting 22 people on Father's Day.  This includes 14 decent eaters, two kids under 6, and six people who won't eat as much as the rest. Four of them are "sometimes" vegetarians who won't eat beef, but can usually be found sneaking a bite or two.

Normally, I make pulled pork; it's good, and people adore me.  The usual. But this year, I'd like to add something else.  I have a Large, and will be getting a Small TOMORROW (!!!EXCITEMENT!!!)  What should I do?  I'll probably still make some pulled pork, somewhere in the 12-14 lb range (two separate butts, because I love it so...) but I'm looking for something to add and could use the insight of my Egghead community.

Thoughts:
Ribs? (Could do them on the Small while the Large is porking)
Spatchcock a couple chickens while I FTC the pork?
Fish?
Chicken kebobs?  Tuna kebobs?
Something vegetarian?

This site always has great ideas-- thank you in advance for helping me make up my mind!
--------------------------------------
30 miles west of Chicago, buried deep in the suburbs.

LBGE (May 2011), SBGE (June 2014) and a growing pile of accessories.

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    A good sized crowd. When I was a kid, prob'ly up till 10 - 11 years, nothing was better than hot dogs. PP is hard to beat for feeding a big batch of people. Few items in most markets are as big, 'cept turkeys, and that doesn't seem appropriate to me. I'd be inclined to go w. kebabs in addition. Any number of marinaded meats and vegetables can be cooked quickly, and if its not too much of a hassle, people can choose their own batch. Recently, I learned that the kind of cheese called in India paneer, and in Mexico queso blanco/fresco can be grilled. I tried some paneer, which is curdled w. lemon juice instead of vinegar, as is used for the queso. It can be marinaded (I used yogurt w. garam masala and other things) or coated with stuff like sesame seeds or bread crumbs. Good sized chunks will hold together on a skewer, and brown up nicely without melting. Nice for those who refrain from meat. Grilled pineapple for dessert. Mmmm.
  • mark11
    mark11 Posts: 55
    Options
    I'm doing pulled pork and we're making a pile of BBQ hamburgers on Saturday that will be in the Egg in a big foil pan for Sunday's dinner.
  • pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    Options
    Pulled beef
    Toronto
  • DominicMagestic
    Options
    What Pantsypants said - easy peezy http://www.greeneggers.com/index.php?option=com_recipes&Itemid=71&func=detail&id=431 Once you go pulled beef you will do it again and again - can do day before
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
    aka Frank from Houma eggin in Corpus Christi
    Geaux Tigers - Who Dat
  • damnedhooligan
    Options
    Not sure if Tri-Tip is available in your area but I would do that. As for vegetarian options, you could do the veggie kabobs or BBQ grilled Tofu: http://www.earlsgonewild.com/pdf/barbequedtofu.pdf

XL BGE with adj rig & woo2

• bonemuse
    bonemuse Posts: 53
    Options
    Thanks all for the suggestions... I think I'm gonna do some chicken satay or kebobs with veggies, or the barbeque tofu! 

~TK~
    --------------------------------------
    30 miles west of Chicago, buried deep in the suburbs.

LBGE (May 2011), SBGE (June 2014) and a growing pile of accessories.

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Wings are good for a group.
    NOLA