Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

CyberQ WiFi and iPhone/iPad

Options
Hi all - 
Just got a new CyberQ WiFi and did a terrific pork shoulder.  However, in ADHOC mode my iPhone and iPad keep losing the connection when the device is 20 feet away, on the counter, in my house.  Oddly, my laptop seems to be able to keep the connection.

I've upgraded to v1.7 and the problem still persists.  Anyone experience this issue or resolved it?

Muchas Gracias!

Comments

• JamesM
    JamesM Posts: 13
    Options
    I use infrastructure mode instead of Adhoc. My CyberQ is a long way from my wifi repeater and it works fine with no wifi dropouts. Probably uses the same transmitter for both modes.
  • skellis614
    skellis614 Posts: 75
    Options
    Agreed. Infrastructure is the way to go. 1.7 resolved some lingering issues for me.
    LBGE, Burgeoning Accessories
  • Charcoal_Addict
    Options
    Infrastructure mode is the best way to use the CyberQ Wifi. I find the adhoc mode is rather unreliable especially if your ISP is using a dynamic IP. Infrastructure mode requires an assigned MAC address for the CyberQ on your router preventing a loss of the connection.
    2x Kamado Joe Big Joes + Cyber Q Wifi + Themapen - Pizza Steel + BGE Paella Pan + BGE Ash Tools + Woo2 + Open Bar Fire Ring
  • dougbacker
    dougbacker Posts: 277
    Options
    I had the same problem with my first one. Call BBQ Guru and talk to tech support and they will fix you up. Sent me a new one with a return shipping label, No problems since. There customer service is the GREATEST

--------------------------------------------------------
    South Dakota
    KBØQBT
    Large BGE, 
    Mini BGE
    36" Blackstone Griddle
    Phoenix Gasser
    Cyber Q WIFI

And a deck box full of toy's

• Charcoal_Addict
    Options
    They definitely don't make doing firmware updates easy. They could have made a flash installed and a USB port to make the whole process less complicated.
    2x Kamado Joe Big Joes + Cyber Q Wifi + Themapen - Pizza Steel + BGE Paella Pan + BGE Ash Tools + Woo2 + Open Bar Fire Ring
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Options
    Gash what really is the point for a Wi Fi on this anyways? If I'm to busy that day that I can't sit out and cook I don't cook. Guess the world is getting even more busy to just relax and enjoy cooking
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • ShadowNick
    ShadowNick Posts: 533
    Options
    Adhoc mode creates a direct wifi connection between the cyberQ and whatever device you are using to control it (iphone, tablet, computer, etc) meaning your connection distance is limited by the combined power and sensitivity of the network card antennae on the devices.  They tend to be relatively weak on phones and tablets to conserve battery power, but stronger on computers and laptops.  Using infrastructure mode means all communication goes through your router with a much stronger antennae relay giving you far better connection reliability and range. (You phone/tablet talks to the router which in turn talks to the CyberQ)

My biggest gripe (and biggest caveat on infrastructure mode) with the CyberQ and the reason I will not get one is that it only functions in Wireless-b (802.11b) mode.  Due to the nature of wireless networks, even if you have a shiny new Wireless-ac or "n" router, connection speed and range for every device will be dropped to the lowest common wireless standard (the CyberQ in 802.11b mode) as long as it is on the network, losing out on the range and speed benefits offered by the more advanced standards (g,n,ac) that you are payed for when you bought that beefy new router at Best Buy.  Not saying this would be a problem for many people, most wouldn't even notice unless they are in a big house or are trying to stream from a room far away from the router.  But putting it in infrastructure mode will affect overall range and speed available to all devices on your router.
    Pentwater, MI