Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Dog vomiting - what to do?

Options
FanOfFanboys
FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
So nothing new in his diet. He is on a raw diet, mostly chicken for the meat. 

Few weeks ago he had diarrhea for two nights (only at night, of course when I am trying to sleep) but no issues since.

Well last night he threw up three times in house before I was finally able to get him outside. Don't think he threw up again, did not see any in yard. Oh that is best part: he only EVER gets sick in the house and on my carpet. Never on kitchen floor, never in yard. Always in house on carpet. 

Well today he seems fine so I make him some rice, whole egg, plain greek yogurt, and peanut butter. Mixed together and fed him that. He ate, drank a bowl of water, and then laid on carpet. I went for a bike ride, probably half hour or so I was gone. When I come back he has vomited in house again, everything that he was fed. While I was getting stuff to clean that he vomits again on carpet. 

I just put him outside but I have no idea what to do here. Do I go couple days not feeding him? Do I feed him something different? Is he eating too fast and that causing the issue? 

Otherwise he seems completely normal. Energy level is the same. He plays with kid, went for walk and short run yesterday. Sunday he swam in pond and did some retrieves. 

But that is at least 5 vomits in last 21 hours, assuming he did in house only and none in yard. 

Any and all thoughts?
Boom

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    I'm sure smarter people than I will wade in here...but raw chicken? Hells Bells I would puke more than your dog does. Has he been wormed recently? One of our guys was 8 years old and fed dried food all his life but I happened to see what I will not describe here tonight and got him right in to the vet the next day! Speaking of vets...has he been in recently?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • 30yearegger
    Options
    Take him to the vet!
    Easley SC Go! Tigers
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Take him to the vet.  He may have pancreatitis,  Pancreatitis can kill a dog.  Scooby the Wonder Dog just had a bout of this.  Vomiting and water poop for about half a day.  Then lethargy, wouldn't drink, wouldn't pee, wouldn't walk.  Two days in the hospital with an IV of antibiotics and pain killers took care of him.
    The Naked Whiz
  • dldawes1
    dldawes1 Posts: 2,208
    Options
    No pics...it didn't happen.

Seriously, I hope it is a quick recovery. If mine gets sick it tears me apart.

Donnie Dawes - RNNL8 BBQ - Carrollton, KY  

TWIN XLBGEs, 1-Beautiful wife, 1 XS Yorkie

I'm keeping serious from now on...no more joking around from me...Meatheads !! 

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    @RRP‌. ..I'm pretty sure he meant the pup was on a raw diet with chicken being the protein.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Maybe he wants to have kids one day and thought he was getting fat. :P

I would usually cut food for a day and ease back in with cooked chicken and rice. Since you feed raw, take em to the vet.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    I'm with Ron on this one. Our dog is 14 years young and has battled a sensitive stomach for most of it. Bet told us that dogs need a stable diet of the same thing and that varying that diet can cause trouble. We've had good luck with science diet sensitive stomach food.
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Has he gotten into any apples, cherries or peaches lately? The fruit's ok (I think), but the seeds/pits contain cyanide which is of course, fatal if enough is eaten. Mine ate half an apple core I left within reach the other day/ Spent the next day throwing up, like yours, on the carpet. Which is when I found out about the cyanide. The following day he was fine.

Bottom line, I know there is at least one vet on the other forum, but most of us are not. Take him there.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    First off for those that don't understand raw diets or have never been exposed to it. It sounds absolutely crazy but, this is "Fact" one of the best diets for canines. It has many befits and those that oppose it are out there as well. But, that is a different subject all together.
    First things first and that is getting to a Vet for cultures and blood work. Although raw is one of the best diets for a canine we opted to go with Blue Buffalo. You may not have changed the diet but, your dog may have got into a plant, root, etc which could also cause these symptoms or could be more serious. And unless your dog is trained in food refusal is it possible someone has given him/her bad things to eat or laced with bad stuff. I realize it's a reach but, it has and does happen. Go to your Veterinarian you owe it to them.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Another possibility is food allergy.  But if you haven't added anything new, that's unlikely.
    Options
    Take him to the vet, let them run some labs on him.  Hopefully it's nothing too serious. I had a dog that got a massive infection in it's intestines and stuff, lots of necrotic tissue inside once they opened her up for surgury, she had to be put down.  The vets commented that they were amazed how happy and normal she acted for how messed up she was inside.  Please don't let your dogs' happy behavior make you decide against seeing a vet.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• FanOfFanboys
    Options
    RRP said:
    I'm sure smarter people than I will wade in here...but raw chicken? Hells Bells I would puke more than your dog does. Has he been wormed recently? One of our guys was 8 years old and fed dried food all his life but I happened to see what I will not describe here tonight and got him right in to the vet the next day! Speaking of vets...has he been in recently?
    He has been on raw diet almost a year. It is an excellent diet. Wild animals don't have stoves ha. 
    I think I am going to take him first thing in the morning. 
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    Has he gotten into any apples, cherries or peaches lately? The fruit's ok (I think), but the seeds/pits contain cyanide which is of course, fatal if enough is eaten. Mine ate half an apple core I left within reach the other day/ Spent the next day throwing up, like yours, on the carpet. Which is when I found out about the cyanide. The following day he was fine.

Bottom line, I know there is at least one vet on the other forum, but most of us are not. Take him there.
    That is an interesting idea. I do have a apple tree, forget which kind of apple, in my backyard. Last year he was a puppy so never went to that side of yard. Might be option that he did eat one. 
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    Another possibility is food allergy.  But if you haven't added anything new, that's unlikely.
    nothing new added by me. Only alternative is he get into something. 
    Boom
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    Plus a bunch for taking him/her to the vet.

When we had a sick dog, plain white rice was a pretty good starter to get the back on her feed, nothing mixed in, just a bit of rice and see if that stays down.  
    But the vet is the way to start.
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Gives some factual info on raw feeding.
    Dr. Becker Discusses Raw Food Diet (Part 1): http://youtu.be/Qx2YIIpF4cc
    Dr. Becker Discusses Raw Food Diet (Part 2): http://youtu.be/TJPToVsJj-c
    Dr. Becker Discusses Raw Food Diet (Part 3): http://youtu.be/Pn1F7AsmEkw

Something all dog owners should know. We lost our Sire import because he didn't like the location of a Sago Palm so he dug it up and chewed off the root ball which killed him. Subsequently I tell people this story so they educate themselves (all of our Sago Palms are now out of harm's way but, unfortunately to late).
    http://www.1stinflowers.com/articles/poisonous-plants-for-dogs.html
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited June 2014
    Options
    FanOfFanboys said: Carolina Q said: Has he gotten into any apples, cherries or peaches lately? The fruit's ok (I think), but the seeds/pits contain cyanide which is of course, fatal if enough is eaten. Mine ate half an apple core I left within reach the other day/ Spent the next day throwing up, like yours, on the carpet. Which is when I found out about the cyanide. The following day he was fine.
    Bottom line, I know there is at least one vet on the other forum, but most of us are not. Take him there. That is an interesting idea. I do have a apple tree, forget which kind of apple, in my backyard. Last year he was a puppy so never went to that side of yard. Might be option that he did eat one. 

No e
    xpert by any stretch, but I think the dog has to bite into the seed or pit for the cyanide to become a problem. If he swallows one whole, maybe not so serious. 

But I am not a vet!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Options
    Giardia. Take him to the vet.
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    My dog developed allergies as she aged. Any blood in the vomit?

The vet instruction was to reduce the diet to plain rice for five days or so. If there is no more reaction, start introducing other food. Start with boiled plain chicken. Do that for a few days. If any of the new foods elicit a response you know where the allergy lies. You literally add one more ingredient at a time per five days.

If the vomiting continues and it's just rice, something else is going on.
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• nick_banich
    nick_banich Posts: 110
    edited June 2014
    Options
    I'm no dog expert just love my little guy to death. I'd call the vet or rush to a clinic. The cash it costs wouldn't outweigh losing the little weirdo. Probably nothing but I'd rather have an expert tell me that....

Raph will only throw up on carpet or well climb on top of me and do it. I wouldn't not feed him - that can cause ulcers and him throwing up even more.

About a year and a half ago he was throwing up foam for a day and then had the c&*ps all weekend. Took him to the vet they gave him some liquid medicine we had to force down his throat twice a day. Also we took him off his dog food and SWMBO made him rice carrots and chicken for every meal. I think we also put him on benadryl as the vet wasn't sure if it was an ulcer, allergies, or something else. He was fine after a few days. Was really scary though.
    -Large BGE since 6-13
    -Indianapolis, IN

• FanOfFanboys
    Options
    My dog developed allergies as she aged. Any blood in the vomit? The vet instruction was to reduce the diet to plain rice for five days or so. If there is no more reaction, start introducing other food. Start with boiled plain chicken. Do that for a few days. If any of the new foods elicit a response you know where the allergy lies. You literally add one more ingredient at a time per five days. If the vomiting continues and it's just rice, something else is going on.
    No blood, just the food that he had eaten. The viscosity of vomit always makes me gag though, thankfully someone else cleaned it up for me. And Stanley Steemer will be at the house tomorrow to clean my carpets. I have a weak stomach for that stuff
    Boom
  • jmcnutt5
    jmcnutt5 Posts: 88
    Options
    I would just take the dog to the vet.  It could really be anything.  As an example, we gave one of our dogs a ham bone to chew on one time and long story short, she swallowed little pieces of bone and it made her sick in the form of vomitting and diarrhea.  Took her to the vet and found out it has worked its way into her colon.  The vet left us with the impression it would be alright but she died in the middle of the night.  It was explained to us later those bone fragments ruptured her colon letting toxins into her body.  And to make matters worse, she had a litter of pups that were a couple of weeks old.  We managed to keep them alive but it was a tough lesson learned about giving a dog a bone to chew on. 
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    edited June 2014
    Options
    I wouldn't not feed him - that can cause ulcers and him throwing up even more.
    Until a vet sees him, we won't know.  Scooby the Wonder Dog had pancreatitis and any food or water would increase the seriousness of it.  They gave him an IV to rehydrate him because even drinking water would stimulate the pancreas and make it worse.  So really, until a vet sees him any action or inaction might be right or wrong.

But you are right about money being no object for many of us when it comes to our pets.  Scooby the Wonder Dog is now worth $2000 more than he was about 2 weeks ago.  :) It was well worth the money, both because we love him and he should still have a few good years left, but curiously enough, he had been slowing down and having weakness in his back legs for months.  They diagnosed it as a combination of arthritis and nerve irritation at the base of his spine.  He comes out of the hospital, and boom, he is now like he was 6 months ago, no leg weakness, a lot more eager to go for longer walks.  We imagine the pancreatitis must have been annoying him all that time and building up to the day when all went wrong. 
    The Naked Whiz
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    Surely you know who to call.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Options
    Take him to the vet. If was you child you'd take him/her to the doctor .
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options

Surely you know who to call.

I see what you did there
  • fence0407
    fence0407 Posts: 2,236
    Options
    Vet, no food for 24 hours since last throw-up/diarrhea episode. Cooked rice to ease back into it. 

Watch what he might eat outside...my dog has a sensitive stomach, but we found out he was eating the wild mushrooms or something out in the yard when we weren't watching and he was pooping and throwing up blood. Scary, but followed the above and he is as good as new.
    Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
    Cumming, GA  

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    We got lucky... I guess our boys picked it up when they were just pups, they both go to the nearest sink when they are going to get sick most of the time if they can. We would pick them up as pups and take them to the sink to make clean up easier.

Hope your dog is okay @FanOfFanboys‌

Here are my guys this morning, took them to get haircuts. Bach & Mozart

• hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    Options
    Why are you even asking what to do here? Why isn't he at the vet already? Any pet owner worth his salts would take care of his pets in an expedited manner.
  • FanOfFanboys
    edited June 2014
    Options
    hondabbq said:
    Why are you even asking what to do here? Why isn't he at the vet already? Any pet owner worth his salts would take care of his pets in an expedited manner.
    @hondabbq because it was like 9 something at night, my 4 year old was asleep in bed, and my vet was closed. are you f^^king done being condescending? next time i want to ask a question on here I will get your permission first. 
    Boom