Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Party Que

Options
Ordered a Party Que and adapters for my BGE and my WSM today. Planning on using it occasionally and on overnight cooks only so I didn't get one of the expensive units. I also take my WSM to rustic camps etc with no electricity so I like that it is battery operated. Glad I waited as they just tottaly redesigned the Party Que. 
Dearborn MI

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    You'll love it. Get some rechargeables. Home Depot sells 4 pack system that works perfect
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    It doesn't say but the new one looks more weatherproof too , maybe not waterproof but looks tighter. 
    Dearborn MI
  • Cloom
    Cloom Posts: 21
    Options
    I had an Auber for my WSM but don't like how it doesn't have an open lid detect function. Does anybody know if the party que have this feature? I'm thinking of picking up a new model if it does, I only need it for low and slows overnight, don't need all the bells and whistles of some of the more expensive controllers like the digi que or flame boss.
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    I read something about the party que having that feature somewhere but can't remember where. I think maybe Naked Whiz did a review on the original model. Can't believe  they would make it worse.
    Dearborn MI
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    @Cloom The PartyQ does not have open lid detect. Unless it was added in the new redesign. I just power it off before I open the lid and power it back on about 15 minutes or so later. If I'm cooking something where I'm opening the lid a lot, I'm not using the PartyQ. I use it when I'm asleep or not at home.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Cloom
    Cloom Posts: 21
    Options
    DMW, thanks for the quick turn around, I used to power off the WSM when i would open the lid but did forget a few times which I think would get the egg way too hot and take a long time to cool off which I want to avoid. Trying to cool the Egg down is like trying to stop a freight train, its just so much more efficient than anything I used in the past. Really i was just looking for an excuse to get a new toy, without that feature I guess I'll jut buy a new adapter for my auber, also need a new pit probe for my old one that died. Unless anybody on here can convince me the merits of buying a new controller
    :)
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    Cloom, how would a lid open detector keep the temp from rising? What am I missing? I'm thinking of using it while I sleep on smokes that I know won't need to be checked for several hours like multiple butts, big briskets etc.
    Dearborn MI
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    I'll get my $139 worth out of it I'm sure.

Dearborn MI
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @KenfromMI‌ when you open the dome the convection temp drops therefore the draft induction motor kicks in. Unfortunately with the dome open you've just added oxygen and couple that with the blower once you shut the dome the temp will dramatically spike. At least that's what I would say @DMW‌
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • DMW
    Options
    KenfromMI said:

Cloom, how would a lid open detector keep the temp from rising? What am I missing? I'm thinking of using it while I sleep on smokes that I know won't need to be checked for several hours like multiple butts, big briskets etc.

Without open lid detection, when you open the egg, temp of the probe will drop, which causes the fan to run full tilt trying to get the temp back up. Since the fire in the egg hasn't changed, only the air temp at the probe, the fire goes crazy and overshoots. By the time the probe temp catches up the egg is over stoked.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    Ah, got it, thanks
    Dearborn MI
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    @DMW - yeah, that happens. So figure that into your time estimate.  It's not significant over a long low-n-slow unless you open excessively.  Once an hour average, I'd say not significant given all the other things like meat quality that can change the cooking rate.
    Options
    Glad to help. And really surprised I gave decent info considering my beverage choice for the past 1 1/2 hours and I'm on a conference call talking about deep buffers and hashing algorithms...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• KenfromMI
    Options
    Scotch here. LOL
    Dearborn MI
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    DMW said:
    Glad to help. And really surprised I gave decent info considering my beverage choice for the past 1 1/2 hours and I'm on a conference call talking about deep buffers and hashing algorithms...
    That's pretty advanced development.  I've written my own security hashes but I utilized Oracle's obfuscation tool kit and did a little of my own obfuscation in an encode/decode function.
    Options
    I'm just drinking lol
    Dearborn MI
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    nerd and proud of it.  Hey!  Look, an algorithm!!
    edited June 2014
    Options
    @DMW‌ & @nolaegghead‌
    imageimage
    JK. SWMBO has informed numerous times that I'm a tattooed nerd :))
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    I don't see the shame in it, myself.  Is that booger?
    Options
    Yep. The infamous Booger :-P. Love that flick.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Hope you like it. Gave mine to Travis.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• DMW
    Options
    @NPHuskerFL‌ I wear my nerd badge with pride. :-B @nolaegghead‌ No development for me, we were tossing around ideas on why a network device was dropping packets that shouldn't have been dropped. The test was a fairly artificial contrived test IMHO and we were trying to figure out if there was enough randomness introduced in the source/dest adresses to effectively be distributed across all the fabrics effectively.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• Randy1
    Randy1 Posts: 379
    Options
    While we are semi-on the subject....which one is the best for showing grid and IT of the meat while cooking.....anybody?
    Maumelle, Arkansas
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    KenfromMI said:
    Ordered a Party Que and adapters for my BGE and my WSM today. Planning on using it occasionally and on overnight cooks only so I didn't get one of the expensive units. I also take my WSM to rustic camps etc with no electricity so I like that it is battery operated. Glad I waited as they just tottaly redesigned the Party Que. 
    Keep a set of lithium batteries handy in cold weather.  I really like mine.  No need to lug the BAB (big ass battery) from the garage to the deck if all I need is a little temperature control, lol!
    The Naked Whiz
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Options
    I can confirm that the original Party Q does not have open lid detect. 
    The Naked Whiz
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    Thanks, yeah I was wrong. I think you had mentioned something about it having a memory for something or maybe it was another review.
    Dearborn MI
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    Maybe one day I'll upgrade but with my WSM it locks in so well if I'm awake I won't use it. I just got my BGE in April and am getting more confident in my vent settings as well.
    Dearborn MI
  • Terrebandit
    Terrebandit Posts: 1,750
    Options
    I got the older one just before they changed it. I love mine and it works perfect. If I need to open the lid, I just turn the thing off. I turn it back on a couple minutes after I recluse the lid. The thing does the job and if you have a Maverick, you've got everything you need for far less that the fancy models.
    Dave - Austin, TX
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    I have three pit probe thermometers and one instant read.
    Dearborn MI