Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous Vide Steak

Options
Got a Sansaire Sous Vide circulator for my birthday. Bought 2 prime fillets. Sealed them using my Foodsaver and then put them in a container with the Sansaire set to 56* C for 1 hour 45 minutes.  Removed the steaks from the bags, patted them them off to remove any moisture and then seared them in a pan on the Mini. Searing was for about a minute per side. Seasoned with salt and pepper following the sear. Next time, will do maybe 30 seconds longer to get deeper crust but, still a perfectly cooked medium steak. Plate shows meat before veggies were platted.

LBGE and Mini

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Nice. I tried SV steaks once, but I think I need to sear them on a skillet or something like you did.

I know you like lamb - SV rack of lamb is pretty damn good.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    Springram said:
    Got a Sansaire Sous Vide circulator for my birthday. Bought 2 prime fillets. Sealed them using my Foodsaver and then put them in a container with the Sansaire set to 56* C for 1 hour 45 minutes.  Removed the steaks from the bags, patted them them off to remove any moisture and then seared them in a pan on the Mini. Searing was for about a minute per side. Seasoned with salt and pepper following the sear. Next time, will do maybe 30 seconds longer to get deeper crust but, still a perfectly cooked medium steak. Plate shows meat before veggies were platted.

Based on your picture, I would think I would want either a much longer sear time, or maybe crank the heat much higher for your sear to get a darker crust without the heat penetrating and over-cooking your already cooked interior.  I'll have to say, your picture is making me think I don't want a Sous Vide cooker.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Springram
    Springram Posts: 430
    Options
    @Zmokin - I agree about not getting the crust that I wanted. I tried using a pan since I was after a crust without the grill marks. The pan was just not hot enough. The sous vide cooker did its job. Always the next time......

Springram
    Spring, Texas

LBGE and Mini
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Looks good! 

With SV, you have to do basically the same thing as you do with a reverse sear - under cook at bit then blast it with as much heat as you can so you don't raise the temp over where you want it.  I pat dry with a towel after SV, even let it air dry and cool down a bit, then blast with heat to sear.  The faster the sear, the less the overall heat rise.  Although you can get the same sear longer at 400 as you can in a shorter time at 700 F.
    Options
    The advice given here is good and I agree.  Hotter fire, let the meat cool a bit before cooking, etc.

I would add that I SV steaks about 125-126 which is about 7 degrees cooler than you did.  I also don't go more than an hour or so because I think there is a textural change in tender meat if you get to the 1.5 hr mark or so.  Just my experience and opinion.  It's all a personal learning experience.
    Dallas (University Park), Texas
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    cssmd27 said:
    The advice given here is good and I agree.  Hotter fire, let the meat cool a bit before cooking, etc.

I would add that I SV steaks about 125-126 which is about 7 degrees cooler than you did.  I also don't go more than an hour or so because I think there is a textural change in tender meat if you get to the 1.5 hr mark or so.  Just my experience and opinion.  It's all a personal learning experience.
    Good advice.  Springram was shooting for medium, I believe, and you might be shooting for medium rare.