Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's a good tilapia recipe?

Options
Kosko
Kosko Posts: 535
Picked up some tilapia tonight. I have never grilled tilapia and wanted some good pointers.
Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE

Comments

• RickyBobby
    RickyBobby Posts: 744
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Get ya some cedar planks ... soak them in water before your cook. Pat Tilapia dry and rub with butter. Season with Lemon Pepper seasoning. Place on cedar planks. Cook raised direct @ 450 for about 10min. Enjoy!
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    Options
    2 words

Fish Tacos
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I like a good Cajun seasoning and a screaming hot CI skillet. Flip after about 2mins and repeat till flakey. I got tired of losing my fish to the grid monster and started using cast iron and will never go back.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    edited June 2014
    Options
    IMO, tilapia is too lean to grill.  I'd stick with pan or deep frying but if you are intent on grilling I'd suggest something quick so it doesn't dry out too much.  I consider tilapia similar to perch or other, thin, white, light tasting fish and a very good vehicle for crunchy breading and tartar sauce.

A friend has a tilapia "farm" and several hundred thousand fish.  People don't raise tilapia because it's the best fish to eat, they raise it because it grows fast and has few requirements to survive beside water and food.  
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • RickyBobby
    RickyBobby Posts: 744
    edited June 2014
    Options
    gmac said:
    IMO, tilapia is too lean to grill.  I'd stick with pan or deep frying but if you are intent on grilling I'd suggest something quick so it doesn't dry out too much.  I consider tilapia similar to perch or other, thin, white, light tasting fish and a very good vehicle for crunchy breading and tartar sauce.

To each their own, but since I started grilling Tilapia ... I refuse to eat it any other way. It's excellent when grilled!
    My PitMaster IQ120 FREAKIN ROCKS!!!!!!! Current BGE arsenal: XL & MiniMax
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    gmac said:

To each their own, but since I started grilling Tilapia ... I refuse to eat it any other way. It's excellent when grilled!
    Which is why I started with IMO :)  I've just never been a fan of grilled fish in general and I find tilapia to be nothing special but if it's working for you, that's great.  Again, I don't really care for grilled fish at all so it's already got one strike against it for me.  The planks may be the difference that I'm missing.
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    I can see it on a plank like @rickybobby described but it is difficult (for me anyway) to do directly on the grid. You could also put a bed if lemons or orange slices on the grid and fish on top of that This is flounder but you get the point

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • ShadowNick
    ShadowNick Posts: 533
    Options
    Marinate in oil and mesquite seasoning, cook on cedar plank, cannot go wrong.
    Pentwater, MI
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    I like mine with salt, pepper, and sesame seed oil. After grilling I lay them over white rice and top with a coconut curry and top with cilantro and scallions. Yes farm raised Tilapia is nasty if you research it but so are a lot of other things too in the commercial farming industry. Butchering sick cows and pigs, green puss on meats washed off. If you research everything you will probably become an Organic Vegan LOL
    Dearborn MI
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Griffin said:

Preheat your egg.

Take Tilapia out of fridge.

Toss tilapia in the trash.

Find somethingg else to grill.

Honestly, after reading a few articles on tilapia, I wouldn't eat it or serve it to anybody I cared about, especially if it was from Asia or South America. If you like tilapia, don't google it. Somethings you can't recover from once you've seen 'em/read about 'em.

Yep, this.
    NOLA
  • aem
    aem Posts: 146
    Options
    gmac said:
    People don't raise tilapia because it's the best fish to eat, they raise it because it grows fast and has few requirements to survive beside water and food.  
    Tilapia = Toilet Trout
  • Cookbook_Chip
    Cookbook_Chip Posts: 1,299
    Options
    I can see it on a plank like @rickybobby described but it is difficult (for me anyway) to do directly on the grid. You could also put a bed if lemons or orange slices on the grid and fish on top of that This is flounder but you get the point 
    LOVE the lemon idea!
    Lovin' my Large Egg since May 2012 (Richmond, VA) ... and makin' cookbooks at https://FamilyCookbookProject.com
    Stoker II wifi, Thermapen, and a Fork for plating photo purposes
  • DominicMagestic
    Options
    Blacken it or do what Grffin said
    Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of congress; but I repeat myself - Mark Twain
    aka Frank from Houma eggin in Corpus Christi
    Geaux Tigers - Who Dat
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Oysters eat plankton, detritus, bacteria, and dissolved organic matter (like fish crap), but I find them delicious.
    Options
    Raw Oysters rock...........Hog Island Oyster Company, Tamales Bay California.
    Dearborn MI
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Oysters eat plankton, detritus, bacteria, and dissolved organic matter (like fish crap), but I find them delicious.
    Hooray for bivalves!
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    They swing it both ways!
    Options
    Griffin said:

Preheat your egg.

Take Tilapia out of fridge.

Toss tilapia in the trash.

Find somethingg else to grill.

Honestly, after reading a few articles on tilapia, I wouldn't eat it or serve it to anybody I cared about, especially if it was from Asia or South America. If you like tilapia, don't google it. Somethings you can't recover from once you've seen 'em/read about 'em.

Couldn't agree more. 
  • pantsypants
    pantsypants Posts: 1,191
    Options
    I blackened some lastnight and used Jalamango Sauce on it with diced tomatoes.

It was really amazing .
    If you are unaware what Jalamango sauce is search on the forum .
    The sauce was great with the fish .

Toronto
  • robnybbq
    robnybbq Posts: 1,911
    Options
    Tequila marinated fish tacos grilled.

Garnerville, NY
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Options

Get ya some cedar planks ... soak them in water before your cook. Pat Tilapia dry and rub with butter. Season with Lemon Pepper seasoning. Place on cedar planks. Cook raised direct @ 450 for about 10min. Enjoy!

This is almost how I do it. After 450 for 10 minutes though I throw away the fish and eat the plank.
    NW IOWA
  • nolaegghead
    edited June 2014
    Options

Options
    Skillet with floured and seasoned tilapia, butter, flambé with cointreau, add fresh orange juice and simmer till done (5 to 6 mins). Remove fish to warm plate and reduce pan juices to a pouring sauce.
    Tilapia may be all the things above but it absorbs other flavors efficiently. Serve with rice and sliced almonds.

Tony in Brentwood, TN.

Medium BGE, New Braunfels off-set smoker, 3-burner Charbroiler gasser, mainly used for Eggcessory  storage, old electric upright now used for Amaz-N-Smoker.

"I like cooking with wine - sometimes I put it in the food." - W. C. Fields

• Kosko
    Kosko Posts: 535
    Options
    Thanks guys for all the input! I think it may be a little time before I can egg again. I was cooking steaks at 750 and heard a loud pop! Looked and noticed my base cracked below the bottom vent! Now I am heartbroken! Just e mailed the mothership on the proper way to handle my warranty!
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    I had two loud pops but couldn't find any cracks, Thought it was the lump. Looked everywhere but underneath from the outside. I'll have to check.......Seems like they must be making them cheaper or something now. I thought these were much better quality when I bought mine.
    Dearborn MI
  • Bayarad
    Bayarad Posts: 313
    Options
    I marinate tilapia in Evoo, minced fresh garlic, fresh basil, salt and pepper, and fresh squeezed lemon juice for about 2 hours, then direct at 350-375 degrees on a maple plank for 12-15 minutes! I love the smell and taste you get from the maple smoke and the tilapia is delicious! I get that it's a bottom feeder but if it tastes good I'll eat it!
  • Bayarad
    Bayarad Posts: 313
    Options
    And a few tablespoons of a quality balsamic vinegar to the marinade as well will make all the difference!
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    Looks like you have a 50/50 chance LOL

Dearborn MI
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    Why won't this forum let me post websites?  Tried to post an article about 50% of Chinese Tilapia being raised on feces 
    Dearborn MI