Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rutland Gasket - Stove Cement or Permatex

Options
It's time to replace my LBGE gasket and I had a question regarding which adhesive to use.

I purchased a Rutland Gasket Kit, which included the gasket plus a tube of stove cement.  The cement is rated for temperatures up to 2000 degrees Fahrenheit.  I also purchased a tube of Permatex ultra copper, due to the high recommendations and popularity I have read on other gasket replacement threads.  However, the Permatex packaging only rates the ultra copper up to 700 degrees.

Has anyone used the Rutland stove cement for a gasket replacement?  If so, how well did it work?

I ask, because the difference in temperature rating is so large of a gap.
Texas Aggie transplanted in Georgia
Large BGE, Small BGE, more accessories than I'm willing to tell the Mrs. about.

Comments

• tkleager
    tkleager Posts: 539
    Options
    @RRP would be the man to ask on this question.
    No Name City, just between Scottsbluff and Mitchell, NE   Crown!  More Crown!
    Egg: 1 Large with 18" BGE CI Grid, Plate Setter, Lg V-Rack
    Maverick ET-73 and Bear Paws
    Eggheads Everywhere Map
    Eggheads Everywhere Stat Sheet
    Barbecue is the answer, but while you’re waiting for the answer, sex raises some pretty good questions. – Woody Allen
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    RRP is the expert here. 

The cement that comes in that kit is made for metal surfaces.  It will fail on the ceramic.  Use the Permatex.
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Having sold over 1,200 Rutlands to eggers I think I can help you understand. The Rutland adhesive is a latex product and while it will work if carefully applied and under "perfect" conditions most people don't take that time and effort. It's open time is short and can not be adjusted once embedded and failure is a given result. Years ago I even quit selling it due to failures. OTOH while the Permatex has a lower temperature rating it has a longer open time and is easier for people to have success. I personally had one Rutland with Rutland adhesive that lasted me over 5 years, but I was meticulous on the application. OTOH I have a Rutland with Permatex which is now 9 years old and still in great shape. BTW another problem with Rutland is their adhesive has a shelf life and unless purchased from a retailer that frequently turns over stock you may buy a tube that is worthless. Go Permatex - you'll be happier.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Never used the Rutland adhesive. My Permatex has been there for nearly 5 years without a failure. Including 900° pizza cooks. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• wmcguire93
    wmcguire93 Posts: 53
    Options
    Thanks all for the input.  Sounds like a solid reason Permatex is so popular.  Ultra Copper it is!

• llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    Options
    Gasket on my LBGE has been fried for a few years. Where can I purchase a Rutland gasket? I'm in Albuquerque NM
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • wmcguire93
    wmcguire93 Posts: 53
    Options
    Amazon

I would search "gasket replacement" in the forum search bar and then read through the multiple threads regarding this topic.

As mentioned above, the forum member RRP is the resident gasket expert.  He replied to my original post, so chances are he might have recommendations on where the best place is to get one.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    ...chances are he might have recommendations on where the best place is to get one.
    Hahahaha. Yeah, chances are real good. He sells them! Jus send him a PM through the forum or wait for him to reply here.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options

...chances are he might have recommendations on where the best place is to get one.
    Hahahaha. Yeah, chances are real good. He sells them! Jus send him a PM through the forum or wait for him to reply here.
    LOL - and I hide from people so well...right? 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • fruitguy
    fruitguy Posts: 303
    Options
    Bought one from RRP, thumbs up here. He takes all the guess work out. Great service.
  • tksmoke
    tksmoke Posts: 776
    Options
    llrickman said:
    Gasket on my LBGE has been fried for a few years. Where can I purchase a Rutland gasket? I'm in Albuquerque NM
    RRP is the man!!  Very quick turnaround, gives you exactly what you need as far as length, very clear instructions, and the list goes on and on.  Highly recommended!!
    Santa Paula, CA
  • Letz4wheel
    Letz4wheel Posts: 236
    Options
    I did a high temp sear on my gasket the other day. I had RRPs gasket already on hand just for such a calimity. The instructions and gasket made it a cinch. I am ready for the burn again :)
    Southern Indiana
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Permatex for sure. The Rutland cement cures very quickly and is quite difficult to remove if you ever had to.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL