Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ninja Ultima Blender

hondabbq
hondabbq Posts: 1,980
Looking at getting a new blender. Anyone have one? Good bad?

Comments

• Vitamix wet and dry container. This thing would grind a golfball.
    Easley SC Go! Tigers
  • jerryp
    jerryp Posts: 232
    I have a Vitamix. It will change the way you cook. Couldn't say a bad thing about it, other than cost.
  • Farbuck
    Farbuck Posts: 276
    Obscenely expensive but unbelievable - Vitamax 5200.

You could liquify cinder blocks

Two Large Eggs; Too Little Time

Newtown Square, PA
  • hondabbq

Thanks guys. Don't want to spend $700 on a blender.

• 4Runner
    4Runner Posts: 2,948
    Ninja works great for us.
    Joe - I'm a reformed gasser-holic aka 4Runner Columbia, SC Wonderful BGE Resource Site: http://www.nakedwhiz.com/ceramicfaq.htm and http://www.nibblemethis.com/  and http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2006/02/recipes.html
    What am I drinking now?   Woodford....neat
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    I have a Vitamix and use it all the time.  It is expensive.   Other eggers have  Blentec, again $$, but say good things about that too.  SIL has original Ninja and loves it.  It comes down to $$ and what you want to do with the blender how often you use, and longevity.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Firemanyz
    Firemanyz Posts: 907
    Vitamix all the way!!!! My wife wanted one and my responce was your crazy if you thing I'm going to spend $500 on a blender when we have one that works and a new one in the box still. After a while I gave in, we used some bed bath and beyond gift cards (a 20% coupon brought it down to $400) and I traded done discover card rewards points for BB&B gift cards( u give the $40 in rewards dollars they give u $50 in GC). I came out of pocket $14 because I forgot to account for tax. ONE OF THE BEST PURCHASES EVER MADE. I make homemade tomato sauce and u don't even need to peel the tomatoes it blends them up. So give it a good look.
  • kdink
    kdink Posts: 336
    Look for a Vitamix demo they usually discount at those things.
    2 Xl's, MM and Forno Bello
    Pizza Oven in Bergen County, NJ
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I have a blendtec. Just under 400 at Costco.

Search "will it blend". It pulverizes everything.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    I have been without a blender for over 10 years. Didn't use the one I had then. Will never understand why anyone would want to spend even $200 on a blender, much less the stratospheric prices of the Vitamix et al. Even if I could, there's no way I would! 

If I ever do get another one, it will likely be a $20 used one off of CL. If it dies, I can buy 20 more and still not spend what a Vitamix costs. It's okay if it won't blend cinder blocks. Really. 

I actually have been thinking about one for making salad dressings. Surely a $20 Hamilton Beach or Oster can turn some avocado and cilantro into a paste, no? My $1 stick blender can. :)

All that said, I have seen Vitamixes on CL for $200. At least $150 more than I'll ever spend, but if you're considering a $200 Ninja, you might want to see what's available.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Hibby
    Hibby Posts: 606
    Vitamix Pro 750 and Pro 200. If you ever get the chance to compare them in person, you'll figure out how to justify the additional cost. You did it with the egg.
    I cook. I eat. I repeat. Thornville, Ohio
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Vita Mix for 9 years. Its the only appliance I use everyday other than my coffee maker. Mom has the Ninja, no comparison.
    Dearborn MI
  • KenfromMI
    Carolina the cheap ones can't do what the Vita Mix does so that comparison isn't accurate. To each there own I guess. I make green smoothies everyday for breakfast, I use it for everything from bread crumbs to pestos to making fresh fruit Ice cream or Frozen Yogurt. I haven't really used my food prrocesor since buying it either. The blade is so fast if you want you can drop in fresh vegetables and blend it until its hot enough to eat as a soup warmed only by friction. I also have an Omega Juicer too to supplement. It's and investment like the egg. I could buy 6 Char Broils for the price of an egg and just throw them out too. Nothing cooking or kitchen related is a waste of money in my book.
    Dearborn MI
  • SidZer0
    SidZer0 Posts: 45
    Yup...Vitamix.
    Jax, FL
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Ken, thanks for the examples. I was pretty sure the Vitamix would do stuff I have no interest in. As will a juicer, especially a juicer. All I want to do is make some salad dressing. No smoothies, no ice cream, no frozen yogurt. Hell, I've never HAD a smoothie and I don't even want to crush ice! Like I said, I haven't had ANY blender in 10 years, and didn't use the one I HAD! For health reasons, I need to make my own salad dressings now (or do without)... but none of the rest of that stuff.

I'm not the OP, but it sounds like he isn't willing to go that $$$ route either. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• KenfromMI
    Carolina, what about a good immersion blender for you?. Mine came with a food processor attachment and a blender container. Makes great Vinaigrettes and you can blend soups etc right in the pot as well.
    Dearborn MI
  • Bustersdad
    Bustersdad Posts: 311
    We've had our Vitamix for nearly 20 years, still going strong
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    Have a ninja. Hasn't seen daylight in over a year. Get something with a square container. Cylinders don't catch anything against the blades.
  • JenGang
    JenGang Posts: 91
    We have the Ultima and haven't used it for much other than smoothies.  It's awesome but I really need to use it more for what it cost!

Jen

Lakeville, MN

• allsid
    allsid Posts: 492
    I love the ninja.  Pulverizes better then the cuisinart (almonds to almond flour).  For the price and value of the costco version, get a ninja and a small egg for what a VM cost-  Mine came with a large and small vessel.  If I had to get another, I would get one that had those items as well as the small blender bottle for vinaigrettes or smaller adult beverages-

Proud resident of Missoula, MT
    https://www.facebook.com/GrillingMontana
    http://grillingmontana.com
    https://instagram.com/grillingmontana

Check out my book on Kamado cooking called Exclusively Kamado:
    http://bit.ly/kamadobook

• hondabbq
    allsid said:
    I love the ninja.  Pulverizes better then the cuisinart (almonds to almond flour).  For the price and value of the costco version, get a ninja and a small egg for what a VM cost-  Mine came with a large and small vessel.  If I had to get another, I would get one that had those items as well as the small blender bottle for vinaigrettes or smaller adult beverages-

I went to Costco and purchased it last night. It came with 3-20 oz drinks cups, 64 oz food processor bowl and 72 oz pitcher. Made a smoothie for breaky today. Need to pick up some more supplies today at the store. Cant wait to do fresh fruit instead of frozen.
  • KenfromMI
    I pick fresh fruit when It's in season, use as much fresh as possible and freeze the rest. Much better than the store bought already frozen stuff..........Why not buy the Vita Mix and still buy a small egg? LOL 
    Dearborn MI
  • ReldtiCDN
    ReldtiCDN Posts: 142
    A friend at work has a Ninja his THIRD in 2 years. It works for him but he keeps taking it back to canadian tire for replacement. I have the blendtec and it does the job just fine it's a little cheaper than the vitamax but more than 3 ninja's.
    Brampton, Ontario

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    As many said, it comes down to cost and amount of use. I love my Vitamix like my Green Egg.
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    CNET has great, very in depth, review of like 6-7 blenders. Well worth skimming over. There is one, forget model, that was cheap but way overachieved. Can't recommend looking at that article by CNET enough
    Boom
  • Beagle1
    Beagle1 Posts: 37
    We have the Vitamix 300.  It certainly was expensive and we thought about for a good while before putting down $500, but its impressive and does everything it claims it can do.  I understand the Blendtec is another great blender.  We are completely satisfied with our purchase.
    Atlanta, GA and Watts Bar Lake, TN
    2 LBGEs
  • odie91
    odie91 Posts: 541
    Last time I was at Costco, I saw the Blendtec with a big rebate.   It's already $80 cheaper than the Vitamix to begin with, plus another $50-100 rebate (I can't remember the exact amount).   For that price, I would pick it over the Vitamix any day (I own a Vitamix).   Can't go wrong with either.... commercial restaurants and smoothie places pretty much strictly stick to those two brands.   If you go with the Ninja, just make sure to buy it at Costco so you can return it if the motor burns out (which it probably will within a few years).
  • hondabbq

CNET has great, very in depth, review of like 6-7 blenders. Well worth skimming over. There is one, forget model, that was cheap but way overachieved. Can't recommend looking at that article by CNET enough

Just read it and the article was about the ninja.
  • awm
    awm Posts: 181
    I bought a ninja, not the cheapest one but not the most expensive one. I brought it home and tried making protien shake. Yea it crushed the ice, but did a horriable job at mixing everything up. Needless to say I boxed it back up and brought it back.