Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pyrophoric charring? Alternate title: why did my house burn down?

Comments

• BigWader
    BigWader Posts: 673
    Man, and here I am just getting my outdoor kitchen built with, yep, wooden tables. I have an XL and a Medium. The furniture is all custom built with will have granite working surfaces. I am now concerned about the fire hazard. To that end, I goggled up some egg table images and a lot of what I see are wooden tables that don't have a lot of clearance between the egg surface and the wood. My eggs are sitting on cement pavers that should provide adequate insulation for the bottom of the eggs. How much clearance should I have between the egg and the wood?
    I am for sure going to get a fire extinguisher to have out there. Any advice on this would be much appreciated. 
    Most seem to be going with a paver AND a table nest so there is a riser between the paver and the bottom of the egg.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I think what may have happened is shelf below the egg heated up and was smoldering for hours and hours after the egg was shut down.  You want an air gap under the egg, which there was, although small, looked like 1" angle iron, but you also want a cement block or something under that to be a heat sink for the radiant heat.  Maybe @spaightlabs could clarify.

I had my egg on a big square pizza stone with no air gap and it charred the shelf.  I now have it on the green ceramic feet on a 18" square by 1.5" cement block.
    Very sorry to hear of your loss, but very happy to hear everyone is okay. Stuff can be replaced, and if you are like me, you will come out on the other end stronger and smarter. Best of luck with the insurance claim and the rebuild. Feel free to contact me if you have any questions about the process. It is still surprisingly fresh in my mind 8 years later.

Streaming good vibes your way.
    Chris
    DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    I think what may have happened is shelf below the egg heated up and was smoldering for hours and hours after the egg was shut down.  You want an air gap under the egg, which there was, although small, looked like 1" angle iron, but you also want a cement block or something under that to be a heat sink for the radiant heat.  Maybe @spaightlabs could clarify.

I had my egg on a big square pizza stone with no air gap and it charred the shelf.  I now have it on the green ceramic feet on a 18" square by 1.5" cement block.
    Thanks.  That would make sense as the rain would not have put this out since the smoldering area was likely sheltered by the egg itself.

Ugh.  Still really scary to read.  Again, glad everyone is well.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    We had a thread a while back. https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1149539/heat-and-wood-tables
    Use a plenty of air gaps everywhere. Nothing will "probably" happen but when it does. Notice the picture with the burnt shelf.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951

It would be interesting to know, but probably impossible to do so at this point, if a crack developed in the base and allowed an ember to fall through. Also, I seem to recall that @Centex determined that he had a fire that resulted from something (plastic) touching his base. Doesn't sound like that would have been the case hear due to both the rain and the time it took for the fire to ignite.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    So glad you got everyone out safely. I gotta rethink my setup - hate to learn at your expense, but thanks for posting this so we can all see what needs to be made safer..
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.

Afton, VA
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843
    I had a nest for a while and a friend gave me a table that I've been using lately. I was on the edge about it since the last few cooks the table top was really hot, and the screws 12 inches away were really hot to the touch. There's a lot of space between the egg and the top (almost 2 inches around), but the hot screws were really making me think twice about it. Now with this post, I'm going to put it back the nest.
    Dunedin, FL
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Echoing here what others have said - you indeed were lucky to get your family out of there! Very scary indeed!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • RAC
    RAC Posts: 1,688
    Glad everyone is okay and sorry to hear about the loss of your home!

Ricky

Boerne, TX

• BRush00
    BRush00 Posts: 367

Wow - absolutely scary.

Glad everyone's out safe and sound.  And as a Dog owner/lover myself - maybe I'm the only one - but good on you for rushing back in to get your 13yo pup (and having an escape route in mind while doing it haha)

Like other's have suggested here, I was actually just talking to my wife last night about the 3-5 year "deck plan", I think I will be revising the "deck plan" into a "brick patio plan"...

[Insert clever signature line here]
  • bicktrav
    bicktrav Posts: 640
    That's terrifying.  Glad you made it out safe.  Somewhat baffling as to what could have caused a fire in rainy conditions after the egg had been properly shut down.  The heat transfer theory seems the most likely, but even that's bewildering considering the rainy conditions.  What kind of air gap did you have between the paver (or table) and the base of the egg?
    Southern California
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    oh man, I'm so sorry to hear this.  So glad, everyone is safe.  

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Mainegg
    Mainegg Posts: 7,787
    So glad you and the family are ok! And as said soo glad you went back for the four footed baby. Not the smartest move for sure, but I would have done the same thing. Double kudos for being in a knee brace. Hope everything is ok with that. Hug your wife and dog... The rest can be replaced as hard as it seems right now.
  • Not much you can do. Looking at cooking pictures from the WOK people makes me cringe sometimes. I pointed out my concerns one time for the person's safety and got flagged by some bozo for being off topic.
    cazzy said:
    Very glad your family got out okay. Dodged a bullet for sure. Ultimately, I honestly have to say the forum failed you bro. Had I really looked at this picture, I would have told you your table needed more room to breathe.  Sorry man. :(

Gittin' there...
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    So sorry to hear about the fire.  Very happy that you and your loved ones made it out safely.

I've been kicking around the idea of a table for my XL. Your post ensures that it stays in the nest on my concrete patio.  Thanks for sharing.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Man very sorry to hear that. Our house burned down when I was a child and it was horrible.
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    cazzy said:
    Very glad your family got out okay. Dodged a bullet for sure. Ultimately, I honestly have to say the forum failed you bro. Had I really looked at this picture, I would have told you your table needed more room to breathe. image Sorry man.
    Cazzy, I would be careful with that set-up as well.  The pressure points could cause the bottom of the ceramic base to crack and you could have a big fire on your hands.  take that for what its worth.  The BGE table nest is the best way I have seen to safely support the Egg while in a table. JMO

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• nolaegghead
    @smittythesmoker - that's not cazzy's, that's the egg that started the fire in this thread.
    edited June 2014
    Not much you can do. Looking at cooking pictures from the WOK people makes me cringe sometimes. I pointed out my concerns one time for the person's safety and got flagged by some bozo for being off topic.
    cazzy said:
    Very glad your family got out okay. Dodged a bullet for sure. Ultimately, I honestly have to say the forum failed you bro. Had I really looked at this picture, I would have told you your table needed more room to breathe.  Sorry man. :(

Your handle is "FearlessTheEggNoob" and you're cringing   =))
    Dunedin, FL
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490

Wow, what can I say.  my thoughts and prayers go; out to you for the scary moments you dealt with and the cleanup/aftermath you're dealing with right now.  But, at the same time, it could've been much worse-so I am thankful for your sake that everyone got out safely.

the past can't be changed but the present will certainly shape your future.

• SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    @smittythesmoker - that's not cazzy's, that's the egg that started the fire in this thread.
    I missed that, I would suspect that the pressure points could have caused a crack now or later.
    Thx for reeling me back in.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• Zmokin
    Zmokin Posts: 1,938
    cazzy said:
    Very glad your family got out okay. Dodged a bullet for sure. Ultimately, I honestly have to say the forum failed you bro. Had I really looked at this picture, I would have told you your table needed more room to breathe. image Sorry man.
    Cazzy, I would be careful with that set-up as well.  The pressure points could cause the bottom of the ceramic base to crack and you could have a big fire on your hands.  take that for what its worth.  The BGE table nest is the best way I have seen to safely support the Egg while in a table. JMO
    That looks like glowing embers in the bottom of the egg to me.  Am I mistaken?  Cuz I never have glowing embers like that in the bottom of my egg.
    Large BGE in a Sole' Gourmet Table
    Using the Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter,
     and a BBQ Guru temp controller.

Medium BGE in custom modified off-road nest.
    Black Cast Iron grill, Plate Setter, and a Party-Q temp controller.

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Look again from time to time....
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Zmokin said: Cuz I never have glowing embers like that in the bottom of my egg.
    I have burning embers in the bottom of my cookers all the time.  FWIW, it looks like a crack is already started at the bottom left of the vent opening.  

The Naked Whiz
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    cazzy said:

Cazzy - please do not In any way blame yourself for this, absolutely not a forum let down at all. There was no failure at the base of the egg,no cracking at all. Not sure if the paver cracked and allowed the bottom of the egg to heat the wood underneath or what? May never know...
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    @nolaegghead‌, the angle sits on a 2 inch thick concrete paver. I am wondering if that paver cracked and allowed heat infiltration to the framing below?
  • nolaegghead
    @nolaegghead‌, the angle sits on a 2 inch thick concrete paver. I am wondering if that paver cracked and allowed heat infiltration to the framing below?
    I couldn't tell what that was.  That should have been pretty safe.  Was the egg broken postmortem?  375?  That is not that hot.
    edited June 2014
    @nakedwhiz‌ , wow, I never noticed that, good eye. I will check that to see if it is a crack or a scratch. Thank you to all for the well wishes. All order descends from chaos. We shall overcome.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136

@nakedwhiz‌ , wow, I never noticed that, good eye. I will check that to see if it is a crack or a scratch.

Looked like a scratch to me...

Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....