Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Boston Butt Inauguration

Options
My wife just bought a boston butt that weighs in at a little over 8lb....I'll be using that for my first real long & slow cook....also just received my two bags of 35lb of Fogo lump.....Seems like perfect timing to me....any suggestions as to how to prepare the butt prior to cooking?
Berlin, Maryland

Comments

• Elde
    Elde Posts: 148
    Options
    Rub it with a little Johnny's, or a rub based on Alton Brown's recipe (substituting Johnny's for the salt), then wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and let it set overnight.  Or just rub it with a little salt and pepper, then wrap, etc...
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    I don't remember the the details ofthe last I did but a bottlr of Mexican Coca cola was involved. I found it in the 'search' feature here.It was fantastic
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    I quit doing overnight rubs years ago after reading a Karen Putnam book and how she competed. I can't tell a difference between overnight or an hour on the counter at room temperature other than no stinky fridge when you open the door. LOL You can use a mustard slather if you want, cheap yellow works fine before the rub is put on. Once again not needed though. The beauty of pork butts is they are damn near impossible to screw up. You can let them ride with no additions or you can poke, spritz, and inject etc. If you decide to foil to speed the process up I foil around 165ish internal and pull at 200. Usually FTC to cook other items but that's not necessary either. My first 4 cooks on my WSM 8 or 9 years ago were butts, they really require no work at all. Good luck and enjoy....... A real simple good pork rub is on the Slap Yo Daddy website and you should already have all the ingredients in your cupboard. Just look for his all purpose rub recipe.
    Dearborn MI
  • rbdaniel
    rbdaniel Posts: 1
    Options
    The last two I did I mixed a small bottle of apple juice and about a cup of apple cider vinegar.  Filled the juice bottle back up for the next day.  Injected the butts the mixture then rubbed and let sit for 5 or 6 hours.  Smoked them overnight at 225 for about 10 hours.  They were at around 165 the next morning when I wrapped them in foil.  Then poured about a half cup of the apple juice vinegar mixture into each foil wrapped butt. Left them on the egg for about another 3 hours until they reach 200. Let them sit in a cooler four about an hour.  OMG, they were so moist and just fell apart.

• Elde
    Elde Posts: 148
    Options
    rbdaniel said:
    Then poured about a half cup of the apple juice vinegar mixture into each foil wrapped butt. Left them on the egg for about another 3 hours until they reach 200. Let them sit in a cooler four about an hour.  OMG, they were so moist and just fell apart.

I've done something like that, except using (homemade) Lexington style 'dip' in place of the cider vinegar.
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    I use a finishing sauce sometimes as I pull the pork. It's a recipe I got from a guy on Virtualweberbullet.com. It really is nice and you only use a little bit. Goes great with or without BBQ sauce. My sister in law liked it so much she didn't even use any other sauce. 
    Dearborn MI
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    Tried to post it but is says it has to be approved first.
    Dearborn MI
  • Ktim
    Ktim Posts: 364
    Options
    .I use Chris lilly`s injection and rub. here are the recipes.                                                                   For the injection                                                                                                                  3/4 cup apple juice       
    1/2 cup water
    1/2 cup sugar
    1/4 cup kosher salt
    2 T. worcestershire sauce
         For the rub
    1/4 dark brown sugar
    1/2 white sugar
    1/2 cup paprika
    1/3 cup garlic salt
    1/3 cup kosher salt
    1 T. chili powder
    1 t. oregano leaves
    1 t. cayenne pepper
    1 t. ground cumin
    1 t. black pepper

I inject the pork the night before cooking. I stabelize the Egg at 225 indirect, rub the butt.Sometimes with  mustard or not. Put the butt on and let her go for about 16 hours for an 8 pound until IT is at least 196 up to 202 take it off, let it cool till I can handle it then pull it.I do not add sauce but that is your choice.
                    Good Luck brother.                                                                                  

• Ktim
    Options
    Sorry, It did not post right,don`t forget the apple juice notice on right side. :-S
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    My father in law did Chris Lillys and really enjoyed it. Unfortunately I wasn't down in S.C. visiting at the time so I have to take his word for it. I know on the virtualweberbullet.com site some felt it was too salty.

Dearborn MI
  • Ktim
    Options
    I did not think so but that`s just me. Thanks for the input.
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    I inject my Briskets but haven't felt the need to inject my butts. They are very flavorful and juicy without. One day I'll give it a whirl. I actually had this recipe book marked and sent it to my Father In Law and he made it and I still haven't LOL
    Dearborn MI
  • Ktim
    Options
    They are good not injected, but it is another step in the process that I enjoy.
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    Ktim said:
    They are good not injected, but it is another step in the process that I enjoy.

Do you need to inject the night before? Could you just inject right before setting on the grill?
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    I've used the Chris Lilly's injection several times. I haven't noticed a difference between injecting the night before or an hour before. If you have time, I think it's worth it. In my opinion, the leftovers are better from an injected butt. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Decot
    Decot Posts: 12
    Options
    How do you keep constant heat overnight without adding more fuel? How much fuel do you use for this?
  • Smokinpig
    Options
    For your first butt I would keep it simple. Simple rub applied just before putting it on the egg and let it roll. I use kosher salt and black pepper only. I also use hickory chunks sometimes I will toss in some applewood. I would skip all the mustard and injections for the first go round.

LBGE Atlanta, GA

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Simple

Dizzy Dust

Refridgerator overnight

Period
    New Albany, Ohio 

• THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    Also agree with @Smokinpig on the Hickory Chunks (3) and Apple (chips). 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• SeahawksEGGHead
    Options
    I agree with the simple approach.  I did a 6lb butt this last weekend, rubbed it and let it sit unwrapped in the fridge for 24 hours.  I overnighted at what turned out to be 237.  Since it takes longer to cook anything in Colorado, mine took about 14 hours to get to IT 201, but it pulled apart beautifully.  A tad dry, but the sauce cleared that up right away.  Keep in mind pork take sugar based rubs very well.  Good luck.
  • Decot
    Decot Posts: 12
    Options
    I never have to buy hickory chunks. I use dropped hickory nuts from my trees and residual pieces from squirrel cuttings.
  • Dillonjm
    Options
    @rsterman Good luck with the cook! I just did my first one yesterday and loved it!
    Backyard BBQ Dude
    1 L BGE - 1 Minimax - 1 Recteq

Northern VA
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Decot said:
    How do you keep constant heat overnight without adding more fuel? How much fuel do you use for this?
    Load the egg up to the middle of the fire ring or more and you will have no problem burning for 18+ hours. 

FWIW- I find there is no difference if you rub the butt just before or if you let the butt sit in the rub overnight.  I prefer to rub it just before while the egg is coming up to temp.  That way I don't have to find space in the fridge. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.