Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bone-in chicken breasts

Options
What is the best method for cooking bone-in chicken breast?

Comments

• CeeGeeW
    CeeGeeW Posts: 113
    Options
    375 raised direct
    Pull at 155.  
    Let rest to 160
    Los Angeles, CA
  • bweekes
    bweekes Posts: 725
    Options
    CeeGeeW said:
    375 raised direct
    Pull at 155.  
    Let rest to 160
    +1
    Ajax, ON Canada
    (XL BGE, MED BGE, La Caja China #2, and the wife's Napoleon gasser)
  • Elde
    Elde Posts: 148
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Don't forget to brine - adds flavor and makes the cook much more forgiving.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,893
    edited June 2014
    Options
    I know you just wanted info on how to cook but may I offer up this simple, but really delicious recipe for using bone in breasts?

Country Style Chicken Kiev

This is my adapation to cooking this very tasty meal on a BGE. Hope you enjoy it as much as Pat and I do.
    Ingredients:
    • ¼ Cup bread crumbs
    • ¾ Cup butter - melted
    • 2 Tbs freshly grated Parmesan cheese
     • ¼ Cup white wine
    • 1 tsp basil
    • ¼ Cup chopped green onion
    • 1 tsp oregano
     • ¼ Cup chopped fresh parsley
    • ½ tsp garlic salt
    • 2 whole bone in chicken breasts
    • ¼ tsp kosher salt

Instructions: Combine bread crumbs, Parmeasan cheese, basil, oregano, garlic salt and kosher salt. Dip chicken pieces in the melted butter then roll in bread crumb mixture. Set remaining butter aside. Place chicken skin side up in a shallow 2 quart casserole dish.

Cook indirect using two fire brick laying flat to place your dish on. Cook at 375° dome for 50-60 minutes. To the remaining butter add wine, green onions, and parsley. Pour over the baked chicken after the intial 50 to 60 minutes and bake for another 3 to 4 minutes. Yields 4 delicious servings
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Ktim
    Ktim Posts: 364
    Options
    Looks like a great recipe @RRP. I am going to try it soon. Thanks!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I cook just a little hotter at 400 raised direct. But I cook everything at 400 8-}
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Mickey said:
    I cook just a little hotter at 400 raised direct. But I cook everything at 400 8-}
    400 is the sweet spot for most meats.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys