Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Roast Chicken, Cast Iron Seared

Options
I'm going to try this.  From http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/09/dining/a-new-breed-of-roast-chicken-cast-iron-seared.html?_r=4&
A Good Appetite

A New Breed of Roast Chicken, Cast-Iron Seared

Splayed Roast Chicken With Ramps: Melissa Clark demonstrates a different way to roast a chicken.

By MELISSA CLARK
Published: May 4, 2012

DOES anyone really need another recipe for roast chicken?

Probably not, but I collect them anyway, trying out each permutation with the zeal of the obsessed. Would this one give me crispier skin, a juicer breast or more soft and supple dark meat?

Usually the answer is no.

But every once in a while, I find a keeper, a fresh approach to that age-old technique that does yield a better bird. This recipe is one of them.

It’s really not a whole new recipe unto itself, just a few tweaks on a classic: chicken roasted in a hot cast-iron skillet.

The premise of the original technique is that by heating a cast-iron skillet in a 500-degree oven, then placing the bird in the pan so its thighs make contact with the surface, the dark meat will finish cooking at the same time as the white. This is because the thighs, which are instantly seared by the cast iron, get a jump-start on the breast, which is not seared and cooks more slowly, staying moist.

I’ve tried it and it works very well. And it’s one of the easiest ways to roast a chicken if you own a cast-iron skillet large enough to hold the bird (an inexpensive 12-inch skillet works well and is not a bad thing to have on hand, anyway).

My change is to splay the chicken’s legs, spread-eagling them. This exposes more of the dark meat to the searing pan, cooking the bird more quickly and, I think, that much more evenly. (Don’t confuse splaying with spatchcocking, which means cutting out the bird’s backbone; all you do here is snip the skin and pull the legs away from the body.)

I also keep the oven at 500 degrees for the entire cooking time, which ensures crunchy, shiny, mahogany skin. If you have time to salt the chicken a few hours ahead and store it uncovered in the fridge, which allows the skin to dry out a bit, it gets even crispier.

I’ve made splayed roasted chicken a half-dozen times, and with a 4 ½-pound bird it takes about 45 minutes. A three-pound bird will cook even more quickly, in about 30 to 35 minutes.

A plump, moist, juicy chicken with a crisp skin is a poem of a meal on its own, needing no other embellishment.

But that never stops me. Here, I added ramps, sweet garlic and salty capers to the bottom of the pan. They quickly caramelize into a bright oniony sauce that’s lovely with the succulent meat. It’s a rare bird indeed.

Comments

• Elde
    Elde Posts: 148
    Options
    I do something like that with my turkey on Thanksgiving (learned it from Julia Child years ago) and it works pretty good.  At least with the turkey, you still want to brine though.

A huge trick to crispy skin is to get it dry before cooking - I usually let my turkey air dry for up to 24 hours in the fridge.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Let me know how the episiotomy goes.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Only necessary if it's a very large egg.
    Options
    Ok, you now have my attention my friend. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• nolaegghead
    Options
    So I asked SWMBO to pick up a couple small yard birds.... she was, as we say here, "makin' groceries".

She comes home and tells me the smallest chikken was over 7 pounds. So she only got one.  Crap, I think, I hate big birds, they're as tough as leather.

Anyway, I cook it up using the method here  The dark meat finished faster, so I pulled it when the breast was at 145F at the lowest. 

Had low expectations based on my history with big bakers, but it was maybe the best chicken I've ever eaten.  Made some gravy with the giblets, wings, neck.  Seared, added wine, seasoning, cooked for an hour and a half. 

I did dry the skin pretty well pre-cook, and it was damn near perfect post cook.  I noticed the CI pan catches all the grease and it kinda fries the bottom of the chicken.  Heaven.  I would recommend.  Cook until the breast is 150 at the coolest, then let it rest uncovered for 15 minutes.   Unbelievable.  I'm changing my opinion about large birds.
    Options
    Oh yeah dawlin, we at Schwegman's!
    Kemah, TX
  • jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    Options
    Oh yeah dawlin, we at Schwegman's!
    Kemah, TX
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    I'll give this a shot. It'll be a changeup vs the norm of raised grid Spatchcock. Nice @nolaegghead‌
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    edited June 2014
    Options
    I can just see charring some onions in there along with the chicken!

A little OT, but I am always banging the drum for turning the thighs OUTWARD on a spatchcock. That way the heat is not hidden from the thick dark meat and it cooks more evenly with the breast meat--meaning it's at 180° when the breast is at 160°. No more pink goo near the bones.
    Judy in San Diego
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Sounds great. Gonna have to try this one. So where are your pics?

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• nolaegghead
    Options
    @Griffin - I was too hungry and we had company over.  I can take a picture of some of the leftovers.....
    Options
    I can just see charring some onions in there along with the chicken!

A little OT, but I am always banging the drum for turning the thighs OUTWARD on a spatchcock. That way the heat is not hidden from the thick dark meat and it cooks more evenly with the breast meat--meaning it's at 180° when the breast is at 160°. No more pink goo near the bones.
    Judy, agree. 

This CI pan method actually cooked the dark meat a little faster than expected.  If anything, I'm going to keep the legs tucked in.  The pan is in contact with the legs and the thighs while the breast meat is elevated a bit.  Fat renders and you get a pan fry situation.  The sound of frying is wonderful.  After eating this bird, I'm redefining my definition of done for breast meat.  150F is glorious.  Dark meat is still fine at 180F plus.
    Options
    I usually cook chicken in CI because of the fond. After degreasing, it makes a fantastic sauce with little more than stock.
    Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Always looking for different ways to cook chicken. Sounds delicious! Thanks for posting!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options
    Pardon my ignorance, never heard of ramp. If I don't find it, is there a reasonable substitute?
    canuckland
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    They're wild grown garlicky green onion-like plants.  You could use green onions or leeks with garlic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allium_tricoccum
    Options
    Thanks nola.
    canuckland
  • wbradking
    wbradking Posts: 351
    Options
    Come over to my back yard and you can have all the ramps you want!
    Franklin, TN
    Large BGE+PSWoo2
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    @Canugghead - my pleasure.  This method really works well - you can get creative with the pan vegetables.  I didn't use any last night, but I made a gravy.

@wbradking - I'm envious!  I only have weeds. (*sniff*)
    Options
    Well, I found fiddleheads and now have those growing in my yard. Guess it's time to go foraging for some ramps too. I like leeks, onions and garlic... ramps should be great!! :)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options
    I have garlic chives growing like weeds, woohoo!
    canuckland
  • PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Well, I found fiddleheads and now have those growing in my yard. Guess it's time to go foraging for some ramps too. I like leeks, onions and garlic... ramps should be great!! :)

I really liked that video - love that he cautions not to take too much!
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • radamo
    radamo Posts: 373
    Options
    I have an old cast iron skillet up on my attic that I have to locate.  This looks like a great way to get a chicken perfect.  Thanks @nolaegghead!
    Long Island, NY
  • Little Steven
    Little Steven Posts: 28,817
    Options
    Pollo al mattone

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaegghead
    Options
    Postmortem fractures to increase bone flavor....love it.
    edited June 2014
    Options
    beteez said:
    That is how I prep for the rotisserie with root veggies underneath, and one of several reasons for the mancrush. lol
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• itsmce
    itsmce Posts: 410
    Options
    I have a smaller CI skillet on hand, but I think I need to purchase a 12" one.  This looks/sounds great!
    Large (sometimes wish it were an XL) in KS
  • CarolinaCrazy
    Options
    I do a roast chicken in the oven and I lay the spatchcocked chicken over scalloped potatoes - the chicken fat cooks into the sliced potatoes and they are amazing.

Going to have to try that on the BGE.

1 LBGE in Chapel Hill, NC
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    @nolaegghead‌ did you deglaze that pan? Oh yeah!
    Food Network Hotline: http://youtu.be/4wr2Nh8Pf2A
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL