Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tips on grilling Cobia

Options
Son in law and Daughter went deep sea fishing in the Gulf yesterday and brought back some Cobia and shared some with us. Never grilled this breed of fish before looking for tips on how to: Time , temp, etc. Would this be a fish that you can do on cedar planks ?? Thanks guy's and gal's.

Opelika, Alabama

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    First off Cobia is a delicious fish and we will hopefully be landing a few off the Atlantic Coast here in North FL fairly soon with some pogies, cut bait or squid. That being said make sure to remove the blood line as it's not a pleasant taste. I like mine CI pan seared with blackening seasoning or a nice lemon pepper. Enjoy.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Oops it didn't post my entire post»»»»I like CI running at 500℉-600℉ with a drizzle of EVOO or your choice of oil or clarified butter in the pan. Roughly 1-2 minutes per side depending on thickness of filet. IT will be roughly 145℉-150℉ but, you can pull slightly early to allow for carryover cooking.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Buckdodger
    Buckdodger Posts: 957
    Options
    Thanks for the info NPHuskerFL...gonna try it for dinner tomorrow. The guy at the dock said to marinate in butter over night, hope that works out. We have some blackening seasoning and that sounds like the way to go.  

Opelika, Alabama
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @Buckdodger‌ there are a lot of recipes out there for this. Broiling, baking etc. This is one fish I personally would not deep fry. Post your cook pics. I'm anticipating you'll have terrific results. B-)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Buckdodger
    Options
    @Buckdodger‌ there are a lot of recipes out there for this. Broiling, baking etc. This is one fish I personally would not deep fry. Post your cook pics. I'm anticipating you'll have terrific results. B-)
    Plan is to do it CI skillet on the LBGE, will post pic's if the cook is a success. 

Opelika, Alabama
  • Buckdodger
    Options
    Oops it didn't post my entire post»»»»I like CI running at 500℉-600℉ with a drizzle of EVOO or your choice of oil or clarified butter in the pan. Roughly 1-2 minutes per side depending on thickness of filet. IT will be roughly 145℉-150℉ but, you can pull slightly early to allow for carryover cooking.
    Followed this info to the letter. Used a CI skillet to braise and finish. Seasoned with Prudommes salmon seasoning...meat was white and flaked apart with a fork. Thanks again to my BGE bud in Middleburg Fla. Forgot to take a pic, but believe me it happened! 

Opelika, Alabama
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    Thanks for the PM brotha! Sounds like ya did it up right. Glad your family enjoyed it (that's what it's all about). Next one catch some pics. Something tells me you'll be doing another one in the future ;-).
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Buckdodger
    Options
    Thanks for the PM brotha! Sounds like ya did it up right. Glad your family enjoyed it (that's what it's all about). Next one catch some pics. Something tells me you'll be doing another one in the future ;-).
    Have enough for 2 more meals...will try to talk them out of some of the Snapper they caught. One Snapper weighed in at 25 #, never heard of one that big. Also they were only allowed to keep 2 Snapper. That limit is new to me. 

Opelika, Alabama