Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pyrophoric charring? Or, Why did my house bur down?

Options
Egged yesterday am. Cooked 3 lbs of party wings, 2 pounds of thighs, a 2 pound lamb roast, 3 lbs of burgers and 2 lbs of carne asada. Never went above 375, ran the egg from 8:00 to 11:00 am, put the ceramic cap on, shut the vent, and went to the Rockies - Dodgers game. Rained like a mother. Got home around 4pm., rained for another 4 hours, including raining on the egg. Went to bed at 9. At 1:30 am woke to a loud crash and a jet engine like WOOSH. Grabbed the Glock and a flashlight and wheeled out of bedroom. Got 15 feet and realized something was terribly wrong, it was way too bright and way too loud. Wheeled back to the bedroom, woke my wife and got my dogs moving towards the door, which was towards the fire which was now very busy destroying my living room. Got the wife and one dog out, and my 13 year old female ran back to the bedroom. Figured if I had to we could get out the bedroom window so went back after her. Grabbed here off the bed and sprinted as fast as a guy in a brace (knee surgery 10 days ago) can go. Got out with my family and a pair of boxers. [URL=http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t169/spaightlabs/?action=view&current=fa3e5985a60be4ff48b241a0b41c8621_zps55872e78.jpg][IMG]http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t169/spaightlabs/th_fa3e5985a60be4ff48b241a0b41c8621_zps55872e78.jpg[/IMG][/URL] The view from the side yard. My living room. Wife said it felt like 150 degrees when she went out - I never noticed the heat. [URL=http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t169/spaightlabs/?action=view&current=9685b05f41e7bd7e2bbedca289c3c2ad_zps5f9270d5.jpg][IMG]http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t169/spaightlabs/th_9685b05f41e7bd7e2bbedca289c3c2ad_zps5f9270d5.jpg[/IMG][/URL] The dining room [URL=http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t169/spaightlabs/?action=view&current=fa3e5985a60be4ff48b241a0b41c8621_zps55872e78.jpg][IMG]http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t169/spaightlabs/th_fa3e5985a60be4ff48b241a0b41c8621_zps55872e78.jpg[/IMG][/URL] Got back in this morning. Guns safe in the gun safe. Got my laptop with pictures and our wedding photos. That's about what's left between the fire and the smoke, but I have what's important. Near as the Fire Investigator can tell the egg table is where it started. 14 hours after I shut it down. After 2 inches of rain...no compromise in the ceramic of the egg as near as we could see... Gonna be without a house and egg for 6 to 8 months. The egg is going in a metal table and on the concrete patio next go around.

Comments

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Can't view pics :-(
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Wow!!! Glad you and your family got out in one piece. Sorry about your home but again glad everyone got out.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Glad y'all got out safely. That's horrible and unbelievable all at the same time. You would think the rain would've extinguished the smoldering table. Yep get a SS table or a nest. Terribly sorry to hear about the damage to your home. But, like you said you saved the most important (All of your family).
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • JenniferEgger
    Options
    Holy crap!!!  I'm not able to see the pics, but thankful you got out safely!  I haven't even used my egg yet, but this is making me glad I'm going the nest route.  I am SO sorry!!!!

LGE in da house.

Bucks County,  PA

• PNWFoodie
    PNWFoodie Posts: 1,046
    Options
    Horrible news, but glad you're is safe.
    XL, JR, and more accessories than anyone would ever need near Olympia, WA
    Sandy
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Thankfully all are safe. Terrible thing to happen. How close to the house was the Egg? Interesting statistics on house fires from grills. Most caused by gassers. http://www.usfa.fema.gov/downloads/pdf/statistics/v11i1.pdf
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    I'm a little frazzled I guess - I will figure out the posting issue in the am. Thanks for the well wishes.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Sorry to hear about the loss and glad everyone made it out safely. Sound's almost exactly the same as my neighbors grill deck fire. They thought someone was breaking into their house when they heard glass shattering. The heat of the fire caused the windows to crack. They were able to get everyone out but lost every material item except for their wedding photos. Count your blessings. Could have been much, much worse.
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    So sorry to hear this and glad everyone is alright. My Large cracked and started my egg table on fire a couple of months ago fortunately I was sitting next to the egg when I noticed the table smoldering. 

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Options
    Glad you ok
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    Glad to hear you and family (the dogs) are ok. I too had a table to catch fire last year I was very lucky that I found it when I did. I was cooking boston butts and I had to small drip pan, grease drippings fueled the fire in egg. I now have a SS table with 2 holes cut in it large on left med. on right. Good luck with replacement, I am glad to hear everyone is OK. 
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    Options
    Wow! I'm glad everyone is OK. 

The only time I get major flare ups is when I cook burgers and go to flip them. But when the fire gets going it's something else. 
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Not good, trust all will work out in the end. 
    Take care. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    Sorry to hear. You know I passed by this post numerous times thinking it was one of those titles that was a joke or once you clicked it was something different. I'm glad you and your family are ok and I wish you the best. I have never went through that experience myself but know others that have. I know they were devastated and I wish you the best to rebound and land well.
    Dearborn MI
  • Ktim
    Ktim Posts: 364
    Options
    Stay strong brother.