Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Chicago Visit

A number of years ago you helped me with BBQ places in Atlanta, and someone suggested the only good restaurant - Fox Brothers.

Looking for help again as my first visit to Chicago is coming up in 2 weeks.  Any suggestions for BBQ?  But for importantly places that Chicago is famous for such as hot dog, pizza and steak? Getting out of meetings early both days so I will have time to get a taste of Chicago.

Thanks,
Howard

Comments

• jerryb78
    jerryb78 Posts: 215
    Lou Malnati's for pizza.  They have several locations around town.
    LBGE
    Menasha, WI
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    The chefs from Next and The Purple Pig just recently won James Beard awards.  They are both in Chicago.  I haven't eaten there, but that award is usually well-deserved.
    edited June 2014
    The chefs from Next and The Purple Pig just recently won James Beard awards.  They are both in Chicago.  I haven't eaten there, but that award is usually well-deserved.
    Next can be really difficult to get into.  They sell season tickets at the beginning of the year (there are 3 dinners that run for 4 months each) and I think they pretty much sell out.

Next is the same ownership is Alinea, which is a pretty amazing experience if you want to drop the $$$.

(and Next is also excellent, FWIW).
    NOLA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    @buzd504 - yeah, I noticed that when I read their FAQ.  hahah....maybe craigslist?
    @buzd504 - yeah, I noticed that when I read their FAQ.  hahah....maybe craigslist?

It seems like they would have to hold back a few spots for contingencies that occasionally become available to the public.  That seemed to be the case when I went (my sister lives up there and gets the season tickets).
    NOLA
  • bakoque
    bakoque Posts: 50
    Was in Chicago for a convention last year and had a good breakfast at Wild Berry Pancakes and ate at Webber Grill Restaurant.
  • For BBQ check out Smoque.  I believe it is on Pulask.  Longman & Eagle is a great place for brunch...killer food and a great bar full of whiskeys.  Doug's hotdogs is the trendy place for hotdogs and sausages and after years of blowing peoples minds with his dogs/sausages/duck fat fries (weekends only I believe) he is closing up shop soon so this may be your only chance.  As someone else said, Lou Malnati's for deep dish, The Girl and the Goat, Naha, Au Cheval...I could go on and on and on...
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    This TV show, WGN Sunday at 10:00PM CDT I think, covers some of the best eating in Chicago. The Italian beef stands thru to gourmet sit downs, but the emphasis is on casual friendly dining. Any place listed here, there are hundreds, is good to really good. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • yankeefan
    yankeefan Posts: 42

For BBQ check out Smoque.  I believe it is on Pulask.  Longman & Eagle is a great place for brunch...killer food and a great bar full of whiskeys.  Doug's hotdogs is the trendy place for hotdogs and sausages and after years of blowing peoples minds with his dogs/sausages/duck fat fries (weekends only I believe) he is closing up shop soon so this may be your only chance.  As someone else said, Lou Malnati's for deep dish, The Girl and the Goat, Naha, Au Cheval...I could go on and on and on...

Please do go on and on with just a couple more, please. Scheduled a later flight just to stay in town an additional 5 hrs.

Appreciate it!

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I go to Gibsons for steak, there are a number good steak places though.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Les Nomades, Avec, Blackbird.  If you just want a nice glass of wine and some cheese and chocolate and people watching check out Eno in the Intercontinental Hotel.  Come back and check out a show at Second City.  Kuma's for burgers.  Café Ba-Ba-Reeba for a fun dinner of tappas.   Bavettes or Chicago Cut for steaks.  Belly Q for an Asian (Korean?) BBQ.  Topolobambo (spelled?) for Mexican.  I haven't been there since Chef Morimoto took over Japanais but I hear that is stellar. Great, great food city.
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    +1 on Second City they always have great shows.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • The last time the Mrs. and I were at Second City was a couple of years ago and this one girls was just a standout...now she is doing Weekend Update on Saturday Night Live (Cecily Strong).  Great talent there all the time though.

• ShadowNick
    ShadowNick Posts: 533
    Crisp for blow-your-pants-off Korean fried chicken. Literally; I have pants that don't fit anymore after eating there regularly.
    Pentwater, MI
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    edited June 2014
    Honey 1 BBQ and Lem's cook w. the classic Chicago aquarium smokers.

Publican Quality Meats isn't BBQ, but the charcuterie is real good. Some of the best sausage I've ever had.

For something different, Sun Wah BBQ's Peking Duck is good. Belly Q for a Korean-ish style. Lao Sze Chuan in Chinatown has some dishes that will burn you down, but are so tasty you can't quite stop eating the food.

Ton of great places to eat in Chi. The 20 Michelin 1 star retaurants are approachable in terms of getting a seat and not destroying your wallet. The "Bib Gourmand" places I've visited were definitely worth the time.

Have fun!
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    +1 for Crisp.

Chicago Q has outstanding BBQ.  I had the Kobe beef ribs.  The best I've ever had (I lived in Memphis for 6 year).

I would also recommend Jake Melnick's for burgers, wings, and beer.

I like Lou Malnati's and Giordano's for pizza.

Chicago Cut and Gibson's are my favorite for steaks.

Weber Grill is ok IMHO, but much better places to eat in the city.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• Here's the run down:

Burgers: (in order of excellence)
    (1) Au Cheval
    (2) Kumas and Kumas Too
    (3) DMK

Steaks: (No Order)
    Bavettes
    Mastros
    Chicago Cut
    David Burkes

Pizza:
    Lou Malnatis (Get the sausage deep dish)
    Pizanos (Best thin crust)
    Genos
    Uno and Due

Other must go places
    Eatly is interesting - fantastic beer selection too
    Hot Dougs
    Doughnut Vault
    Avec
    Publican
    Frontera

Large BGE, Chicago, IL
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990

check out Emilio's for Tapas.  it is very good, reasonable prices, great Sangria. sit out side. 

it's on Ohio. near Michigan.

XL   Walled Lake, MI

• +1 for Lou Malnatis
    Steve
    Outside of Appleton, WI - MBGE, LBGE
  • ShadowNick
    ShadowNick Posts: 533
    edited June 2014
    LincolnPark_Egghead  LP here too!  nice to know I'm not the only egger in the neighborhood!

I'd definitely put Giordano's high up on the deep dish pizza list.  I work across the street from Geno's East and will happily walk a couple blocks to go to Giordano's instead.

Pentwater, MI
  • GaryLange
    GaryLange Posts: 418
    I like Giordanno's for there Stuffed Pizza, Portillo's for Hotdogs, Al's #1 for Beef Sandwiches or if they have one a Combo Beef and Sausage. Having lived and worked in Chicago I have my favorites. One other place that would kick your taste buds is Jim's Original Maxwell Street Polish, 1250 S. Union Ave. Chicago, Illinois. Take my word as a big fan you won't be sorry you had this Polish Sausage Sandwich.
  • All,

Took me a while to get back on but wanted to thank everyone for their suggestions.  Had a great foodie tour of Chicago as we went to 5 restaurants in 2 days :-).  

Weber Grill - had to visit.  Burger was good, just salty, would go again but ask for dry rub on one side.  

Lou Malnati's - was very disappointing as everyone suggested we go there.  Got the Chicago Classic, sausage was like rubber, rest just tasted okay.  Would try again with more ingredients see if its better.  

The next 3 were sooo good.  
    Jim's Original - great tasting Polish sausage with Spanish onions.  The grilled version taste really held up well even with the mustard and onions.  Serrano peppers were hot!  Fries are free and actually had a good standard taste, ate them all.

Hot Doug's (which is closing in Oct.) - waited on line for 35 minutes, but well, well worth it!  Chicago style hot dog was amazing, the dog, tomato, pickle, relishcelery salt and poppy seed bun all worked so well........wow!

Giordanno's - by far the best place!!  Since Lou's was disappointing I had try another place so stopped here before the airport.   Was going to eat one slice and leave, ended up eating 3.  Had The Special with onions, peppers, shroons, and sausage.  Just couldn't stop eating it!!  And the cheese was soo good, not salty like lotta places do.  Wish I was able to take it home for the family to try.

Thanks again to all!
    Howard  
  • @yankeefan I'm sorry you had a bad experience at Lou's. I guess the sausage patty is a little rubbery but I never thought much of it because it worked well given the rest of the pizza. Good call on Jim's and Hot Doug's. 
    Large BGE, Chicago, IL
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Lincoln Park here as well.

2600N
    1000W

I don't eat a lot of deep dish but Lou's has always been my go to. Sorry it didn't work out.

Hope you enjoyed the city and the best weather time of the year!
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited August 2014
    Sorry about your Malnati experience. I may have heard people say they prefer a different brand, but never that Lou's was BAD.

As for the hot dog, I would have a hard time eating one that was dressed as a salad! :D

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut