Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

2 7 pound pork shoulders on MBGE?

I have a LBGE but will be cooking a pork shoulder or two on a MBGE in a few weeks.

Wondering if based on someone's personal experience it is possible to cook two 7 pound pork shoulders Turbo at the same time on the MBGE? I thought I read at one point it was possible to stand them straight up to fit on a Medium and use metal skewers to hold them together and keep them upright during the cook.

Any insight is appreciated!
·

Comments

• SGHSGH Posts: 13,645
    Wish I could help my friend. I have the large and have never used a medium. Maybe others can help. Good luck.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

Arsenal-Just a small wore out and broken down Weber kettle. No other means to cook at all.
    ·
  • I have only done one at a time on my MBGE, but two side by side would be pushing it. I would put them on the cold grill to see if it will have clearance to close or not. If not, then it would be standing them on end with skewers like you're saying. I don't know how I would do fat cap placement though...
    Steve
    Outside of Appleton, WI - MBGE, LBGE
    ·
  • Ragtop99Ragtop99 Posts: 1,347
    They should fit.  It doesn't matter if they start out touching each other.  They generally shrink enough to open up a gap.  If not, it's just like cooking one larger piece. 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
    ·
  • BYS1981BYS1981 Posts: 1,950
    edited June 2014
    I've done 2 8lb bitts side by side with no issues on my medium. No need to place them on for a cold run, they fit. You can put wood skewers in between, but they're unnecessary.

Also no need to stand them straight up, in fact they likely won't fit straight up. Careful of the dome thermometer touching the meat.
    ·
  • Thanks so much everyone
    ·