Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

2 7 pound pork shoulders on MBGE?

Options
I have a LBGE but will be cooking a pork shoulder or two on a MBGE in a few weeks.

Wondering if based on someone's personal experience it is possible to cook two 7 pound pork shoulders Turbo at the same time on the MBGE? I thought I read at one point it was possible to stand them straight up to fit on a Medium and use metal skewers to hold them together and keep them upright during the cook.

Any insight is appreciated!

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    Wish I could help my friend. I have the large and have never used a medium. Maybe others can help. Good luck.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• stevethegreat
    Options
    I have only done one at a time on my MBGE, but two side by side would be pushing it. I would put them on the cold grill to see if it will have clearance to close or not. If not, then it would be standing them on end with skewers like you're saying. I don't know how I would do fat cap placement though...
    Steve
    Outside of Appleton, WI - MBGE, LBGE
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    They should fit.  It doesn't matter if they start out touching each other.  They generally shrink enough to open up a gap.  If not, it's just like cooking one larger piece. 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    edited June 2014
    Options
    I've done 2 8lb bitts side by side with no issues on my medium. No need to place them on for a cold run, they fit. You can put wood skewers in between, but they're unnecessary.

Also no need to stand them straight up, in fact they likely won't fit straight up. Careful of the dome thermometer touching the meat.
  • randerson1126
    Options
    Thanks so much everyone