Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Flying with a Thermapen?

DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
For those of you that have flown somewhere and cooked. Have you taken your Thermapen with you? If so, can you have it in your carry on, or will TSA take it and claim it could be used as a weapon? Not sure I trust packing it in checked baggage...
They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    That is a good question, I travel all the time and they have tried to take a cork screw from me. I had to go back to the car as I didn't want to loose that one, it was a gift.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @DMW‌
    You can not take it on board. It must go in you checked baggage.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Cremon
    Cremon Posts: 21
    They will confiscate it if you try to take it on the plane.  That's a loss of $100, not some bic lighter or a pocket knife.  Like SGH said - check it in your baggage.
    Marietta, GA

Big Green Egg XL, 
    Cheap char grill for quick grilling
    110,000 BTU outdoor propane burner with an 18" Chinese wok.
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    I'm certain that they would not let you through security if they found it. On the other hand, TSA is pretty inconsistent from one airport to the next so, they're just as likely to not find it or think to look at it. I would not take the chance though... put it in a checked bag.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    I would say that they would not let it through. Not because "it could be used as a weapon", but more because they are uncertain about it. 
  • DMW
    Thanks guys, now I need to decide if I'm willing to risk it in my checked bag. That was my assumption.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    I have a friend that is a TSA Agent. I sent her a picture and explained what it is. I will let you know how she responds. 
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    What is the risk of checking it?
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• Eggbertsdad
    Eggbertsdad Posts: 804
    I would say that they would not let it through. Not because "it could be used as a weapon", but more because they are uncertain about it. 
    If it's an egger working at the airport you can guarantee it will get confiscated.  :P
    Sarasota, FL via Boynton Beach, FL, via Sarasota, FL, via Charleston, SC, via The Outer Banks, via God's Country (East TN on Ft. Loudon Lake)
  • DMW
    What is the risk of checking it?
    Having it go missing or getting damaged. Even if you pack it well, if your checked bag gets hand checked, chances are fairly high that the re-packing job won't be done the same. One bad toss of the bag and that's a broken LCD.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• pescadorzih
    pescadorzih Posts: 926
    If you're worried about it getting damaged, get a small waterproof box at WM for like $6 and put it in there with some bubble wrap.
    I travel quite often for business and haven't lost anything in 20 yrs. I almost always check my bags, unless it's just an overnighter.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • Big_Green_Craig
    Big_Green_Craig Posts: 1,578
    My TSA agent said that she would not allow it. However, it would be up to each agent on a case by case scenario. 
  • hondabbq
    hondabbq Posts: 1,980
    What is the difference in checking or trying to sneak it through. Either way in your mind it seems you cant win. The less likely option of this mission going array is if the checked bag doesn't get tossed. Bringing it through the front door will likely see it confiscated. Just check it.
  • DMW
    I won't be trying to sneak it on, that's for sure. I like bubble wrap in a waterproof box. Thanks @pescadorzih
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• TexanOfTheNorth
    DMW said:
    I won't be trying to sneak it on, that's for sure. I like bubble wrap in a waterproof box. Thanks @pescadorzih
    Try duct tapping it to your ankle; under your sock. Don't forget to shave the area first, otherwise, you'll be in some pain when you arrive at your destination and remove the tape.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    if you are going to an eggfest, no need to take it. they will be plenty of temp units around to borrow. 

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • DMW
    @tjv Not an eggfest, here's what I'll be cooking on. I'm sure I'll be missing my eggs.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• TexanOfTheNorth
    Not sure that's going to fit under the seat in front of you or in an overhead bin.  ^#(^
    Not sure that's going to fit under the seat in front of you or in an overhead bin.  ^#(^
    :)) That was a pic from last year. It's at my BIL's place in Nor Cal. It's an old really heavy tank of some sort that was converted to a smoker. It hadn't been fired in at least 20 years. I cleaned it out and did a full on clean burn first. Had to fabricate a firebasket and do some work on the shelving. It's leaky, but I finally figured out that if I closed the draft door all the way on the bottom (doesn't close tight) and close off the top draft (not in the picture) almost completely, I could keep it around 250-275*. I have a few ideas on how to improve it this year.

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    edited June 2014
    @DMW‌ if it's leaking out of small holes grab some hvac heavy duty foil tape.
  • DMW
    @BYS1981 It's mostly leaking around the door. I think the same thing will work, really needs some sort of gasket material. Also, the bottom draft door is not a slider, but rather a swing open door. I'm thinking I might be able to rig something with the foil tape and aluminum foil.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA