Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Country Style Ribs......

Hey guys! Grabbed some country style ribs at the store today and was curious about the best ways to cook them. Didn't know if you guys cooked low and slow or at higher temps? Indirect, raised direct? What internal temp? Foil for tenderness? How long do they usually take. I actually bought them for supper for one day next week so I would like it not to be a several hour ordeal. Give me your suggestions, tips, etc. thanks!!

XL Egg Owner Since Dec 2013 - Louisiana

Comments

• Elde
    Elde Posts: 148
    They're cut from the butt, so I usually cook them the same way - low and slow.  (Though they'll cook faster than a full butt due to the higher surface/mass ratio.)  The big thing to be careful of is they can dry out easily due to that higher ratio too...
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Low and slow, if you want to speed it up some smoke them first and then add them to a foil pan with a braising liquid and cover with foil instead of increasing temperature.
    Dearborn MI
  • GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    I have cooked them a lot before having the egg. I always cooked like a chop or steak on webber. Always been tender and flavorful.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @corey24‌
    There are 2 different cuts of country style ribs. One cut from the butt and one cut from the loin area. Depends on which cut that you have. The ones cut from the butt do very well cooked low and slow. The ones from the loin I cook raised direct with spectacular results. Hope this helps my friend.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• corey24
    corey24 Posts: 386
    Ok. Would you say indirect at 275 is a good temp? If so, how long might this take? What internal temp 190-200?

• SGH
    If they are butt cuts cook them indirect at 275-300 degrees to a internal of 195 and they will be awesome.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• corey24
    @SGH I have no idea which ribs I have. Package just says country style ribs.

• SGH
    edited June 2014
    Those are from the loin area. You can cook them either way. I prefer raised direct. It's fast and produces outstanding results. I posted a cook 2 nights ago where I cooked some at 600 degrees raised direct. I recommend 400 raised direct flipping every few minutes until done. Just how I like to do them my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    The ones from the butt will look more like a pork steak.

Status- Standing by.

• corey24
    Thanks @SGH.

• SGH
    @corey24‌
    You are more than welcome my friend. Enjoy those ribs.

Status- Standing by.