Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The XXL Does Eggist

Comments

• Elde
    Elde Posts: 148
    They had one at the PNW Eggfest yesterday, and a team was cooking a suckling pig on it.  Darned good pig, but yeah - unless I hit the lotto, I'd want another large or a brace of mediums to expand my collection instead.
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    I already have multi eggs so I HAD to add the big boy to the family. And now oozing forward to the mini max
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    The Ace Hardware in Decatur, GA (Intown Ace Hardware) has the XXL for sale. The price tag reads $4,999.99.

"You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• nolan8v
    badinfluence,

I think you will enjoy the new addition to the family.

"You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Is the XXL close to the same price everywhere? They are going for $3,700 here in Jacksonville. They had 2 of them at one location toward the Julington Creek bridge in Jax and they must of sold one because now they're down to one. Fact is the LBGE is still the most popular size. I personally wouldn't buy the XXL as you could buy 4 LBGE or 3 XLBGE for the same money here and have the ability of multiple cooks at multiple temps. But, obviously there is a market for the XXL. And those who purchase them will surely enjoy their BGE journey the same as the rest of us do.
    What was included for 3700.00? Hope everything.
    Hopefully some lube...
    Boom
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    @badinfluence‌ & @FanOfFanboys‌ $3,730 is Egg only. $4,695 Includes Egg, PS, nest and delivery to home (roll up to garage or porch so long as it is a flat surface) per this dealer. Again for the $$$ me, myself & I would not buy it for the reasons I already listed. However, I hope whom ever does take that plunge enjoys their new XXLBGE (which I'm sure they will).
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Cremon
    Cremon Posts: 21
    DMW said:
    @badinfluence I think it's the huge price delta between the XL and XXL. The jump from L to XL is not a 3x increase in price like the jump from XL to XXL.
    It's a whole lotta clay in that XXL.  I'd imagine they have to be real careful with that thing too while they make it.  Has anyone that has seen it noticed if the thickness of the shell is greater on it?  I'd be afraid of cracking that with any kind of movement other than wheeling it around on a patio.
    Marietta, GA

Big Green Egg XL, 
    Cheap char grill for quick grilling
    110,000 BTU outdoor propane burner with an 18" Chinese wok.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    I wonder how much the plate setter weights. The XL is heavy enough. I am going to go check it out at the store this week.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • nealcr1
    nealcr1 Posts: 198
    @badinfluence‌ what is the eta on delivery? And congrats.
    Mini Max, Medium BGE, Large BGE, Lodge Cast Iron Sportsman, Digi Q II, Woo 2, AR with Oval setup
  • badinfluence
    I was told 2 to 4 months they are hoping the 2 months. That was 2 weeks ago when I placed the deposit and thanks
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • badinfluence
    Update. The 2 to 4 months was way off. Dealer called today will have the xxl next week.

Clinton, Iowa
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Cool! I'm excited for you. Looking forward to your first posted cooks.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • badinfluence
    Thanks. Depending when it gets to my dealer might have it Mon or tue. If not will have to wait till the following week. Darn work....it's always interfering with my fun

Clinton, Iowa
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777
    Just wondering why everyone is haters of the new xxl? I seem to remember the same thing when the xl came out and how many now have one.
    I don't think the price delta between a large and an XL was near the difference between the XL and XXL.  The way I look at it is that you can buy at least 2-3 XL's for the price of one XXL.  2-3 XLs gets you between 35 and 100% more grid space than one XXL.  Also with multiple cookers, you have the option of cooking different things at different temps.  The only rational use for the XXL is if you need to cook something that physically cannot be fit into an XL or separated and cooked on 2 XLs.  I'm pretty sure we aren't going to see anywhere near the number of XXLs over time as we did with the XL.  It's not hating.  It just doesn't make any sense for the average person. I don't think it even makes sense for a restaurant unless they think that the wow factor of the size will draw more customers.  I can't imagine a restaurant is going to be willing to spend two to three times the money just for a 35% gain in grid space.
    The Naked Whiz
  • Serial Griller
    Serial Griller Posts: 1,186
    Just throw in a whole bag of lump,paper bag and all and light the bag to start :))
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Naked,

I spoke with a dealer who is buying one thinking more xl's will sell, says it makes the xl seem like a large.
    Good point I think.
    Seattle, WA
  • badinfluence
    I do agree and did also state before I don't need the xxl I want it
    Was it expensive. ..yes do I need the different temps to cook....got that already
    am I excited to get it...you bet
    and as far as lump goes yes I know it will take a full bag but so does the meat monster

Clinton, Iowa
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,188
    wow, I posted a link about komodo kamado and it got flagged for approval before it shows up.  weird BGE ....
  • The Naked Whiz
    The Naked Whiz Posts: 7,777

wow, I posted a link about komodo kamado and it got flagged for approval before it shows up.  weird BGE ....
    That happens on all sorts of posts.  I can't figure it out. Sometimes, I cut and paste the exact same text of a post and report, and it works.

The Naked Whiz
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    SMITTYtheSMOKER Posts: 2,668
    edited June 2014
    I am impressed with the easy effort of the dome on the XXL.  They have it engineered to be lifted with little effort.  Much beefier springs, same hinge design as XL.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• nolan8v
    I've had posts flagged that referenced BGE.

Strange things happen here sometimes..

Post again and hope for the best.
    Chris Rose 

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    It was surprisingly easy to lift the dome on the XXL with my left (not dominant) hand. So easy that I didn't think about the weight until someone asked me "easy to lift?"
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • erniemcclain
    erniemcclain Posts: 505
    We cooked on one this past weekend at the Nebraska Cattleman's Ball.  We were cooking samples to sell eggs not feeding the 4000 people at the Ball.  I know we have pictures and will try to get them posted by a fellow egger, but let me try to clear up some things:
    1. The lid is not heavy to lift.  Actually, I think the XL is heavier.  Must have done something with the springs or how they engineered the mechanism. 
    2.  It weights 460 lb w/o the nest.  Four guys, one empty XXL egg and we moved it on a pasture.
    3.  MSRP is $3,995
    4. We had a bunch of wings, a prime rib and tri-tip kabobs on with lots of room left. 
    5.  Made a wonderful batch of DO Chili on the XXL. 

Come on TK.  Get the pictures up.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    edited June 2014
    @erniemcclain‌ - are these the pics you're referring to? http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/1520450#Comment_1520450

Perhaps TK @tkleager‌ is a step ahead of you? :)
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Here is the XXL at dealer next to a small and mini. The other one is me next to it. I'm 6' and 275 lbs, just to give you a reference of how big it is. The reason the lid is easy to lift because of 2 springs, not one. Sorry, meshe'd up order.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    I've reconsidered, I may purchase an XXL si I can BBQ 2 children at once.
  • badinfluence
    Huh. Don't look so big to me. But guess I will see on Tuesday when mine shows up at my dealer. Might have to get even more excited when they make a xxxl

Clinton, Iowa
  • Sailor71
    Sailor71 Posts: 35
    @badinfluence‌ & @FanOfFanboys‌ $3,730 is Egg only. $4,695 Includes Egg, PS, nest and delivery to home (roll up to garage or porch so long as it is a flat surface) per this dealer. Again for the $$$ me, myself & I would not buy it for the reasons I already listed. However, I hope whom ever does take that plunge enjoys their new XXLBGE (which I'm sure they will).
    I don't want to cause friction here but for that kind of money I would step up to my Dream Komodo Kamado
  • Jaymet73
    Jaymet73 Posts: 24
    That XXL is huge!!
  • jllbms
    jllbms Posts: 381
    Profiled in the June Food and Wine Grilling.
    Kemah, TX