Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Solar

Options
Doc_Eggerton
Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
edited June 2014 in Off Topic
Thought this might interest folks here.  This is part of our hurricane kit.  We learned well the year four came over our house and we went weeks without power.  This particular unit will charge a phone or Kindle, but is iffy for a laptop.  We really should get a bigger one for that.

Charges the phone in about 3-4 hours.

For any iPhone users, to save you frustration, the iPhone has a software glitch where it shuts down the charge function if there is fluctuation in the current, even if still connected to the charger.  With a solar charger that happens when a shadow (cloud, bird, whatever) crosses the panel.  By putting a battery charger in between the phone and panel you eliminate power fluctuations.  You can also charge the phone off the battery pack.

I exercise this every once in awhile to keep the batteries charged and remind myself how it works.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

Comments

• Griff2w2
    Griff2w2 Posts: 53
    edited June 2014
    Options
    I have one for my climbing and camping gear. Nothing worse than being halfway up a multi day without tunes. Also works great in a pinch if you leave your lights on. (You just have to wait like 24 hrs!)
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    Very informative post for us eggers. What is the brand name and where to buy? Thank you.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    http://www.goalzero.com

Goal Zero.  Buy on line.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    I see them at Costco from time to time. Sometimes even a road show.
  • Griff2w2
    Griff2w2 Posts: 53
    Options
    They work pretty well with a nice variety of sizes.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Mine won't charge a cell phone, but it does knock about $100 off our monthly utility bill.  Power goes out, the panels go out, and the standby generator kicks in. 
    Options
    Mine won't charge a cell phone, but it does knock about $100 off our monthly utility bill.  Power goes out, the panels go out, and the standby generator kicks in. 

Cool. In about 380 months you should break even
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    Options
    Neat looking device. When we lost electricity last December, we had to drive around a while in the car to recharge phones (and for heat).
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Options
    grege345 said:

Cool. In about 380 months you should break even
    Naw, it was $5K total out of pocket, so 50 months, just over 4 years.