Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - My Daughter Finally Picked a School.

She's a Wolverine!

She loved Texas Tech. and the State of Texas in general, but in the end I think I made a difference.  I advised her to stay in the Great Lakes State so she wouldn't get gouged with out-of-state tuition and graduate with a large debt around her neck.  She only has so much money that we saved for her and she is responsible for anything above that.  GO BLUE!!!!

Flint, Michigan

Comments

• gpsegg
    gpsegg Posts: 427
    Congratulations and good luck to her! A great school.
    George
    Palm Beach Gardens, Fl and Blairsville, Ga.
  • Bustersdad
    Bustersdad Posts: 311
    Congrats...my son is a Wolverine as well.
  • Gadfly
    Gadfly Posts: 121

Maybe we should start an OT thread on where our kids to go school.

me,

Son in University of Washington: Computer Science

Daughter in University of Chicago: Medical School

• Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Congrats to your daughter
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Go blue. My son is a senior in Ann arbor. Marching band
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501
    Plus Fred she will still be fed at home. How could she in her right mind leave Egged food. 
    Good school.  My nieces and nephew from Flushing went there. All doing very well in life.

Go Blue!

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• When it comes to my food, next to myself, my daughter is my harshest critic.  She doesn't like it if the food tastes "too eggy".  Most of the time that means it has too much smoke for her taste, but sometimes with just lump she says it's too eggy.  When she likes it, then I really got something!
    Flint, Michigan
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    If she doesn't like that tar taste don't use Royal Oak. >:)
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • TonyA
    TonyA Posts: 583
    A college education is what you make of it. She's wise to leave the debt behind.
  • mgoblue0484
    mgoblue0484 Posts: 148
    Your daughter is a smart young woman!

GO BLUE!

Fairfax, Va

• Aviator
    Aviator Posts: 1,757

Strong work, Fred, Our daughter is at the same crossroads. We have decided to go at MCATs and are carting her to ATL and back every week.

Large and Small BGE, Blackstone 36 and a baby black Kub.

Chattanooga, TN.

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    My middle son will be a wolverine in the fall. Aerospace engineering major.
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    My dad was accepted to Michigan, but his family couldn't afford it. He went to Wayne state instead.
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Congrats!!! You should be a very proud Stone Age dad!
  • stevesails
    stevesails Posts: 990
    Make sure you fill out your fafsa. Michigan can get cheaper than a lot of schools. They have lots of money to give away
    XL   Walled Lake, MI

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Congrats! Going to a "BIG 10" school. ;)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • My parents both graduated from The University of Michigan and none of their kids went there.  I graduated from Eastern Michigan and my brother and sister graduated from Michigan State (OH HORRORS!).  Most of my nieces and my nephew attend or graduated from Michigan State.  My Mom was very moved when my daughter told her Grandma she was going to Michigan! 
    Flint, Michigan
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,704
    Congrats!

And hey - my wife is a Spartan :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Congrats Fred.......good for her and good luck to her.  I think she would have loved Tech, but that out of state tuition can be a deal breaker.  Finding that out as we're starting to look at schools for our oldest who will be heading that direction in a couple of years. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• mokadir
    mokadir Posts: 115
    Nice school, almost up there with Penn State! Nothing like in state tuition at a great university.
    Delaware Valley, PA Large BGE, CGS adjustable rig, iQue110, High-Que grate
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Congrats, nice to have them away at school yet close enough to still be at home. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • TexanOfTheNorth
    TexanOfTheNorth Posts: 3,951
    edited June 2014
    The State of Texas' loss will be Michigan's gain. Good luck to your daughter as she embarks on this next phase of her life!

BTW, missed having the Flintstones here in Toronto yesterday.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Well, "spa-Peggy" is kind of like spaghetti. I'm not sure what Peggy does different, if anything. But it's the one dish she's kind of made her own.
    Awesome! What is she planning to major in?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Awesome! What is she planning to major in?

That was the kicker in my plan. She wants to be a teacher. My anti Texas Tech point was "You can get that degree ANYWHERE. In-state is much cheaper and you can leave Michigan when you get a job."
    Flint, Michigan
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,823
    I'm sure you're very proud of her Fred, on multiple levels. Michigan is one of the "public Ivies" and with good reason.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SteveWPBFL
    SteveWPBFL Posts: 1,327
    Here's how I think it works (I was born in Ypsi, grew up in G.C. BTW and graduated from 'Larry Tech' in Southfield so know EMU, UM, etc. pretty well from back in the 1970's anyway). Based on experience with my kids going to college IF the applied-to out-of-state-school WANTS your kid (is not a 'superstar') they will extend some sort of token-amount scholarship that includes IN-STATE tuition rate (unless they are private, of course). The WANT is based quite a bit and maybe primarily on SAT score. GPA and no. of clubs in and class placement and all that stuff seems to be secondary. If your kid's SAT score will boost their average then 'come on in'! If it is about the same or lower then, well, sure, if you really WANT to come here you can but you'll have to pay the out-of-state rate. Just me. But hey, I have an EGG!
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    I Lived in Lubbock for years and TTU is a great school but the out of state tuition is outrageous. In state tuition at Tech is higher than out of state her at UNM in Albuquerque.
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Here's how I think it works (I was born in Ypsi, grew up in G.C. BTW and graduated from 'Larry Tech' in Southfield so know EMU, UM, etc. pretty well from back in the 1970's anyway). Based on experience with my kids going to college IF the applied-to out-of-state-school WANTS your kid (is not a 'superstar') they will extend some sort of token-amount scholarship that includes IN-STATE tuition rate (unless they are private, of course). The WANT is based quite a bit and maybe primarily on SAT score. GPA and no. of clubs in and class placement and all that stuff seems to be secondary. If your kid's SAT score will boost their average then 'come on in'! If it is about the same or lower then, well, sure, if you really WANT to come here you can but you'll have to pay the out-of-state rate. Just me. But hey, I have an EGG!
    Our high school sends Michigan about 10 kids a year.  They were tighter on out-of-state merit aid than prior years.  Maybe they figured out our area will pay the $$.  My son is doing AFROTC.  Without it, I couldn't justify the price and he would have gone somewhere else. 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.