Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pancakes on the egg

Anyone done pancakes on the egg? It's seemingly a good weekend morning egg possibility. Suggestions on how you do or would do it? I have a large.

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,887
    Many times - got a griddle? or if you want to step up then the GriddleQ is a great toy to add to your toy box!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    A CI big skillet will work to.  Even done crepes on the egg.  BTW make your own batter, cheaper and fresher tasting than the box.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited June 2014
    @Austin Egghead
    Talladega Nights: "I love really thin pancakes": http://youtu.be/ZDqXbk_ThH0
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Love me some pancakes on the baking steel!
    Flint, Michigan
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    French toast works on the griddle as well
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Did bacon and eggs on a Lodge griddle this week.
    imageimage
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • laserdoc85
    laserdoc85 Posts: 577
    edited June 2014
    My pancake batter drips down through the grate and messes up the charcoal. I gave that up along with trying to scrabble eggs :)
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Laserdoc, someone had to bring it up.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Lol. Stove only item for me.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Could never see the point of cooking most breakfast items on the egg. Pancakes? Eggs? French toast? What do you gain? I can't imagine they would taste appreciably different, not after such a sort time. Do 'em on the stove and you're done in a few minutes. On the egg, you're done in a few minutes - plus the hassle of and waiting for the lump to be ready! Why bother? Or is it another one of those... "Because I CAN" things? 

I'll never know cuz I'll never do it. Even if the power's out, I'll just skip breakfast.

Plus, you're more likely to overcook your eggs. 
    :D

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Thanks all for the comments.

Part of the reason for the inquiry is to help unburden the wife by helping outside. The kitchen is largely her domain and the egg is largely mine. My kitchen is also small. The heat produced by the kitchen stove must be overcome by cooling air from HVAC. The potential mess and/or clutter also is outside. I cook bacon on the egg for that reason, primarily. I also like to have choices. And I don't like to go hungry if the only way to prepare food falls through. Those who are prepared are more prepared than those who are not.
  • Tjcoley
    I do it to enjoy a beautiful morning outside (weather has to be right for this) and time with the family while cooking. We get everything together and take it outside. While I'm cooking, starting with bacon and sausage, then moving on to the french toast and eggs, we hang out on the patio together, let the kids run around in the yard, drink a mimosa or two and just enjoy the start of the day.
    Keeps the bacon spatter off the kitchen stove. And I'm outside. Outside is better than inside when the weather is right.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    I haven't, but that's mostly because the BGE high wore off before I got to it.

My rule with cooking is use the best tool for whatever I'm cooking. If my son wants pancakes, I heat up my griddle and make my batter from scratch. From the request to his first bite is about 20 minutes.

The egg isn't always the best tool folks!
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Tjcoley
    I agree the Egg is not always the best tool. It's just a couple times a year, on the perfect morning weather wise, I enjoy cooking breakfast outside. May not be the most efficient, and I wouldn't do it all the time. But it can be the most enjoyable once in a while.

Thanks all for the comments.

Part of the reason for the inquiry is to help unburden the wife by helping outside. The kitchen is largely her domain and the egg is largely mine. My kitchen is also small. The heat produced by the kitchen stove must be overcome by cooling air from HVAC. The potential mess and/or clutter also is outside. I cook bacon on the egg for that reason, primarily. I also like to have choices. And I don't like to go hungry if the only way to prepare food falls through. Those who are prepared are more prepared than those who are not.

I can see that...makes sense. The kitchen is also my domain, so I have free reign. I'm pretty stoked that our new home will have a gas range and a convection oven! :D
  • cazzy
    Tjcoley said:

I agree the Egg is not always the best tool. It's just a couple times a year, on the perfect morning weather wise, I enjoy cooking breakfast outside. May not be the most efficient, and I wouldn't do it all the time. But it can be the most enjoyable once in a while.

I would totally do it if I was camping. Maybe one day the kids will force us to go camping. Lol
  • Focker
    Focker Posts: 8,364
    I like the slight campfire flavor of a griddled breakfast.  Kinda nice to start the day off with the smell of coffee and lump.
    Brandon
    Quad Cities
    "If yer gonna denigrate, familiarity with the subject is helpful."

• @Focker‌ ,

The food looks wonderful. Now I'm hungry.

I must have a griddle like that. Perfect. Brand? Source? Size egg?

Thanks!
  • cazzy

@Focker‌ ,

The food looks wonderful. Now I'm hungry.

I must have a griddle like that. Perfect. Brand? Source? Size egg?

Thanks!

http://bakingsteel.com/shop/baking-steel-round-16/
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    That's not a baking steel. It's a Griswold #16 bailed griddle. I have the same one as @Focker‌.
  • DMW
    Focker said:

I like the slight campfire flavor of a griddled breakfast.  Kinda nice to start the day off with the smell of coffee and lump.

Looks great, I can never get my egg rings to work right. Either silicon or metal. They always seem to leak out underneath.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• cazzy

That's not a baking steel. It's a Griswold #16 bailed griddle. I have the same one as @Focker‌.

Well ****...I should have opened his pic. I'm certain he has a BS so I just figured it was his BS.
  • I wouldn't bother with the pancakes and French toast and eggs, but grilled breakfast sausage is wonderful cooked on the egg.  Much better than skillet or griddle fried. 

Little Rock, AR

• jonnymack
    jonnymack Posts: 627
    Interesting, I would think it would be a hassle to do breakfast on the egg.  Especially...ahem...eggs since they are so time sensitive and need constant attention.  Not sure I'd ever try it this way but certainly an interesting read.  
    Firing up the BGE in Covington, GA