Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The XXL Does Eggist

Well the XXL is in KC now. Here is a photo of it next to my BGE dealer at Smokin On The Summit in Lee Summit , Mo. My dealerLarry is not a small guy, but the XXL makes him look that way.
XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Lord have mercy! That thing is a monster!

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Still trying to think "WHY".
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Bayarad
    Bayarad Posts: 313
    You could slow smoke a suckling pig or a whole hog on that with no problems!
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    No way you could fit a whole hog on there. Unless that hog was very young.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    Mickey said:
    Still trying to think "WHY".
    Competition cooking would be my only guess.......and actually I can see it being successful in that regard.  Only other thing would be if you were in the catering biz or something similar and always cooking BBQ for large groups. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @DMW‌
    I didn't want to be the one to say it. Glad you did.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Transporting that thing to comps would be no small feat.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • badinfluence
    badinfluence Posts: 1,774
    Cut the hog in two place the front half over the rear half to protect the ribs and loin from overcooking is how I'm going to do it..hut will still only fit a 60 to 80lb hog I'm betting but will see when mine comes in.
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • DMW
    Cut the hog in two place the front half over the rear half to protect the ribs and loin from overcooking is how I'm going to do it..hut will still only fit a 60 to 80lb hog I'm betting but will see when mine comes in.
    Then that's not whole hog, but rather 2 half hogs. ;)

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • badinfluence
    Sure it is. 1 whole hog cut in half
    1 XXL BGE,  1 LG BGE, 2 MED. BGE, 1 MINI BGE, 1 Peoria custom cooker Meat Monster.

Clinton, Iowa
  • CoolBees
    CoolBees Posts: 32
    What are the dimensions of the cooking surface?
  • nealcr1
    nealcr1 Posts: 198
    I think it is 29 inch surcface
    Mini Max, Medium BGE, Large BGE, Lodge Cast Iron Sportsman, Digi Q II, Woo 2, AR with Oval setup
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    If you were taking that thing to a comp, you would need an air ride trailer to haul it and a crane to pull out the fire box! Lifting the grid out will likely be a two-man job. That thing is just crazy big. I hope to see on full of goodness sometime soon.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Actually they used a fork lift at the Athens fest. Our Athens fest host cooked on one, it is huge, requires a 20# bag of lump to fill! has very large cooking real estate and the food cooked tasted as good as any other egged food.
    As an individual I don't see the need, but if I owned a restaurant it would be a part of my cooking arsenal.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Cremon
    Cremon Posts: 21
    That beast is huge.  Great for a restaurant I am sure.  I'd hate to be a caterer and have to travel around town with that thing.
    Marietta, GA

Big Green Egg XL, 
    Cheap char grill for quick grilling
    110,000 BTU outdoor propane burner with an 18" Chinese wok.
  • They had one at the austin eggfest. Maybe if you absolutely needed to cook something whole on an egg that you couldn't fit on an XL. Otherwise multiple eggs would be better in my mind even in a comp. Wonder how much the fire box weighs if you wanted to do a full cleanout before a low and slow.
    Gittin' there...
  • badinfluence
    What my egg rep said was about 550 lbs now I don't know If that is just the egg or with the egg and fire box and all. And no I won't be hauling it to a comp as I have a cooker for that already.

Clinton, Iowa
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533

They had one at the austin eggfest. Maybe if you absolutely needed to cook something whole on an egg that you couldn't fit on an XL. Otherwise multiple eggs would be better in my mind even in a comp. Wonder how much the fire box weighs if you wanted to do a full cleanout before a low and slow.

Agreed. Multiple eggs would be cheaper and allows you to cook different temps for different items. There is no way I'd get the XXL.
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Its bigger then 29" across, more like 39". The XL is 24" and the XXL is bigger then 5" larger. It is a massive egg.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    not the best for a restaurant, heavy lid to continually open an close, plus no real way to control or maintain temps when grilling multiple plates over a lunch/dinner rush.  For bbq, electric smokers easier to use and get past city health codes.   

the success of the cooker will be seen next year.  Right now dealers are buying to have one on the floor.  Just wonder how many will still be on the floor come end of summer.  

Maybe we need to get a pool together on how soon before one shows up on craigs list for sale........lol

t

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • DMW
    Its bigger then 29" across, more like 39". The XL is 24" and the XXL is bigger then 5" larger. It is a massive egg.
    http://www.biggreenegg.com/features/xxl-is-a-big-hit/

29.25" diameter grid. 5.25" larger diameter than an XL. 672 sq in cooking area vs 452 sq in on XL. For that kind of money I'm buying multiple eggs. Now if I had a whole family of eggs and had the space and extra cash and my mortgage was paid off would I add an XXL? Maybe...
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• badinfluence
    Let's face it nobody has a need for a xxl this is a want. I wanted it so I ordered it. How often I will use it I don't know

Clinton, Iowa
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Is the XXL close to the same price everywhere? They are going for $3,700 here in Jacksonville. They had 2 of them at one location toward the Julington Creek bridge in Jax and they must of sold one because now they're down to one. Fact is the LBGE is still the most popular size. I personally wouldn't buy the XXL as you could buy 4 LBGE or 3 XLBGE for the same money here and have the ability of multiple cooks at multiple temps. But, obviously there is a market for the XXL. And those who purchase them will surely enjoy their BGE journey the same as the rest of us do.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • MrCookingNurse
    MrCookingNurse Posts: 4,665
    I dont see much use at all, anyways, it needs bigger casters!

XLBGE 
  • I see lots of reasons to get an XXL, mine's bigger, chicks dig it, it fits my ego..................
  • badinfluence
    Just wondering why everyone is haters of the new xxl? I seem to remember the same thing when the xl came out and how many now have one.

Clinton, Iowa
  • Philly35
    Philly35 Posts: 858
    Jumbo size pizza! Imagine the flashback!
    NW IOWA
  • DMW
    @badinfluence I think it's the huge price delta between the XL and XXL. The jump from L to XL is not a 3x increase in price like the jump from XL to XXL.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• badinfluence
    Ok I can see your point about price. I am still pretty pumped to get mine when it comes in though seeing as I have yet to see one in person so I'm hoping I'm not disappointed.

Clinton, Iowa
  • badinfluence

Is the XXL close to the same price everywhere? They are going for $3,700 here in Jacksonville. They had 2 of them at one location toward the Julington Creek bridge in Jax and they must of sold one because now they're down to one. Fact is the LBGE is still the most popular size. I personally wouldn't buy the XXL as you could buy 4 LBGE or 3 XLBGE for the same money here and have the ability of multiple cooks at multiple temps. But, obviously there is a market for the XXL. And those who purchase them will surely enjoy their BGE journey the same as the rest of us do.

What was included for 3700.00? Hope everything.

Clinton, Iowa