Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Rockwood

DMW
DMW Posts: 13,832
I know its been mentioned plenty before here. Here's my story.

I was at the Dizzy Pig store a few weeks up and picked up a bag of Rockwood. Today I cleaned out my XL completely and filled with Rockwood and some oak chunks. I noticed a distinct clink of the chunks when I dumped it that was a bit different. Just fired it up for a chuck roast that will go on in a few hours (don't feel like lighting and stabilizing in the wee hours) and a few minutes after plugging the electric starter in I noticed a "nice" smoke smell. I went to see if perhaps one of my oak chunks was against the starter. Nope, the Rockwood just smelled this good from the get go. Oh, and it was lit in 4 minutes flat. Usually takes 7 or 8. No nasty white smoke at all. I think I'm sold. @henapple I think you may be on to something with the Royal Oak hate.
They/Them
Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker

Comments

• DMW
    On another note, finally found that $-@%+$ spider whose web I have been walking into when checking my eggs. He won't be doing that again.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    I'm sold on Rockwood and Ozark... I do like the slightly easier handling of the 10# bags of the OO
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @DMW‌
    I have not tried it myself yet. Looking forward to your thoughts and opinions once you have cooked with it. It's got a huge following here on the egg forum and I'm sure for good reason. If you give it two thumbs up I'm trying it brother.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• I've yet to try rockwood. I can buy OO at harps for 5 bucks and some change. Are they pretty similar?

Little Rock, AR

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I am half way through my first bag of Rockwood, it is the real deal i had the same results as @DMW. Also, there was ver little ash after my cooks.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    @Biggreenpharmacist‌ ...I get oo at that price. Not enough of a difference for the money. I like Rockwood and Ozark Oak. I use OO almost exclusively. If I could get Rockwood at 50 cents a lb....
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    hapster said:

I'm sold on Rockwood and Ozark... I do like the slightly easier handling of the 10# bags of the OO

Not sure about your area but where I am buying RW I can get either 10 or 20lb bags. It is higher by the lb for the smaller bags.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • I just love OO. Its hard to believe it could be that big a difference in it and the others I've tried, but I'm sold on it.

Little Rock, AR

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    hapster said:

You like a smaller bag?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    I just tried Ozark Oak last week for the first time. I actually do like it more than the Royal Oak that I have been using for about 3-4 years. So then on Sunday I ordered 100 lbs of lump from Firecraft, 40 lbs of Ozark Oak, and 60 lbs of Rockwood, got delivered on Tuesday (love free shipping)  Looking forward to trying them both with my usual recipes.
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • SGH
    I hate to jump in on y'all's thread. But of the two which is preferred if both are available. Ozark Oak or Rockwood?

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I have not tried OO or Rockpenis.  None that has been sent to me arrived, and they aren't sold here.  Sadly, I'm in a Flintsones world.  Except my car has a floorboard.  I almost killed a dinosaur when I was sober.  Oh. The human. ity.

PS - I'm pretty wasted.  So I'll probably have to leave the forum in shame in the morning. That's the way it's working out so far.
    @nolaegghead So glad you joined this thread. It was way too tame.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731

I have not tried OO or Rockpenis.  None that has been sent to me arrived, and they aren't sold here.  Sadly, I'm in a Flintsones world.  Except my car has a floorboard.  I almost killed a dinosaur when I was sober.  Oh. The human. ity.

PS - I'm pretty wasted.  So I'll probably have to leave the forum in shame in the morning. That's the way it's working out so far.

Send out an apology email like @henapple.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • DMW
    Oh, and I'm cheating tonight.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• SGH
    @DMW
    I would not have believed it without seeing it.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    @DMW
    I would not have believed it without seeing it.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    I don't know why that double posted. Sorry

Status- Standing by.

• Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    I have 2 bags of Rockwood setting in the garage waiting for me to finish burning through RO I have left in the egg. Looking forward to try it out.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    @henapplepie I know you and I go way back.  I heard April Wine playing when we first met a Salado, I don't know if it was real or in my head.  There was a mirror ball, and a fog machine.  I was in slow motion. And we connected. 

You hate Obama.  I'm not crazy with everything he's done.  Especially appointing the head lobbyist Tom Wheeler http://www.theguardian.com/world/2013/may/01/obama-tom-wheeler-fcc to the FCC.

I hate that he does bad stuff. But I forgive you for hating the good stuff.  We're all Americans, and we need to stick together 

How's that, @caliking ?

SGH said:
    I hate to jump in on y'all's thread. But of the two which is preferred if both are available. Ozark Oak or Rockwood?
    Thats why I ordered both. Doesn't exactly sound like you can go wrong with either. I was happy with Royal Oak, but can't hurt to try a new lump, at about $10 per pound.
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • SGH
    @ads75‌
    I have heard so much good about them I'm going to give them both a try myself. Thanks for the input my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    I like Rockwood better than OO, but it's a fine line.  I wouldn't kick either of them out of bed.
    NOLA
  • hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    henapple said:

hapster said:

You like a smaller bag?
    Easier toting it up to the deck, and the smaller bag fits easier in the trash can that I use to store my lump and smoke wood out by the egg.
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Both Rockwood and OO have been great for me in comparison to others. What I have learned however is that other brands will work given enough burn off time and the right circumstances.
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • We could have just one thread in this forum if it was "Is Ozark Oak or Rockwood better than Royal Oak if all your cooking is done on a fiberglass replacement gasket instead of the Adjustable Rig or the Platesetter"
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Just used the last of my 4 year ago purchase of RO. I have switched over to OO And Rockwood. Like them both especially for baking......
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,276
    Intentionally waited til the AM to post as it was "a dark and stormy night" last night...WRT Rockwood and OO I find Rockwood to be more "smoke neutral" than OO.  Beyond that, they both behave about the same.  If picking one over the other, then it would be Rockwood.  FWIW-
    And here's a link to a site where you can order different lump charcoal and get to the $100 mark and the shipping is "free":  http://www.firecraft.com/category/hardwood-charcoal Have a great day!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    You are correct underwater man, Rockwood is more smoke neutral and is my preferred for baking buttermilk pies and custards (smoke taste is always more pronounced on the second day).  I like OO for bread baking and all other pies and pizzas.  For all other cooks whatever is opened is used.  
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited June 2014
    Dat spider....ewwwwwwww!  Did you scream like a girl when you saw it?  I sure as hell would have. 

Then I would have grabbed the Map torch and probably caught the door on fire making sure I got him. 
    >:)

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg.