Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - How to spot fake BBQ

I think we mostly all know these, but it was a fun read anyway

http://www.thrillist.com/eat/nation/7-ways-to-spot-a-fake-bbq-spot

Pentwater, MI

Comments

• henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    I'll add to the list, and as I travel I see it everywhere..."world famous". Doubtful that anyone out of that county has heard of it.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    henapple said:

I'll add to the list, and as I travel I see it everywhere..."world famous". Doubtful that anyone out of that county has heard of it.

There was(is) this dump near school that's name is Dannys. Directly under the name was "World's Best Hamburger in Town".

It was a Chinese Restaurant. I never ate there.
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    I was excited that Billy Sims (retired Detroit Lion) was opening up a BBQ about a half hour away from my house. BBQ is pretty scarce in Michigan , good BBQ is even more elusive. Before I could try it I read a review that he uses liquid smoke and there are no smokers on the premises. Glad I saved my money by reading that review before going there. A place that has gotten a lot of attention in Detroit is Slows BBQ. It got voted in the top 10 in the country a few years back. It's ok, not great. They over smoke their ribs and won't baste them even upon request. I think they get a lot of attention because they opened up in a neighborhood that shut down in Detroit when Tiger Stadium closed and it turned into a ghost town. Good food and a good beer selection but hardly in the top 10. There are some steak house style BBQ places but they aren't worth much either. Zingermans Roadhouse in Ann Arbor actually uses the huge smoker like the one pictured in the article. Their chef actually won several James Beard awards and he actually has a BBQ platter of three of his winning meat combos. Only complaint there and it's just a personal preference. He likes his BBQ more spicy than I do and really doesn't offer a sweet sauce. Like Big Bob Gibson said, judge your neighborhood BBQ restaurant by the size of their wood pile out back.
    Dearborn MI
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Not a perfect indicator, but if the 'Q is served on china, probably not good. Or, 'Q is not the specialty.
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    KenfromMI said:
    I was excited that Billy Sims (retired Detroit Lion) was opening up a BBQ about a half hour away from my house. BBQ is pretty scarce in Michigan , good BBQ is even more elusive. Before I could try it I read a review that he uses liquid smoke and there are no smokers on the premises. Glad I saved my money by reading that review before going there. A place that has gotten a lot of attention in Detroit is Slows BBQ. It got voted in the top 10 in the country a few years back. It's ok, not great. They over smoke their ribs and won't baste them even upon request. I think they get a lot of attention because they opened up in a neighborhood that shut down in Detroit when Tiger Stadium closed and it turned into a ghost town. Good food and a good beer selection but hardly in the top 10. There are some steak house style BBQ places but they aren't worth much either. Zingermans Roadhouse in Ann Arbor actually uses the huge smoker like the one pictured in the article. Their chef actually won several James Beard awards and he actually has a BBQ platter of three of his winning meat combos. Only complaint there and it's just a personal preference. He likes his BBQ more spicy than I do and really doesn't offer a sweet sauce. Like Big Bob Gibson said, judge your neighborhood BBQ restaurant by the size of their wood pile out back.
    Been to Zingerman's a couple of times. When I was there, they were using a standard midsize smoker, but had a few of almost the same size nearby.

Didn't try their 'Q, but much enjoyed what I had. On one occasion, the chef was working the line. Good lord, he was fast! Still don't understand how he and his crew could manage to serve a place that seat maybe 350, and has a line out the door.
  • Ktim
    Ktim Posts: 364
    Good post Ken.Thanks.
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Gdenby, I peaked under the lid of that huge smoker on the side of the building and it was in use. You could smell the food cooking as soon as you pulled in the lot. Maybe that is used for big smokes or big parties that book the patio room.
    Dearborn MI
  • vapilotda
    vapilotda Posts: 22
    edited June 2014
    There was(is) this dump near school that's name is Dannys. Directly under the name was "World's Best Hamburger in Town". It was a Chinese Restaurant. I never ate there. </div Are you talking about Danny's in Waldorf? We used to stop there in high school in road trips to Philly for trips with the crew team. We loved that place in the day as kids. Ha can't speak for it now but remember being shocked when we found it to be a Chinese restaurant. They do serve burgers.
    large and XL BGE in Richmond, VA