Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT: Baltimore Food and Fun Recommendations

Options
Are any of y'all from Baltimore? I am flying out Sunday afternoon and will be there until Thursday morning. We are staying at the Hilton on Pratt street near Camden Yards, and won't have a car.
What places must we try? Where's worth getting a cab or taking a bus? What must we see?
Gadsden, AL
Twitter: @matalexander

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Take in an O's game. Camden Yards is one of the nicest parks in baseball. Poe's gravesite is about 5 blocks from you if you are into that. The B&O Railroad Museum is great too. The National Aquarium is fantastic and there is always something going on in the inner harbor. Ft McHenry is nearby as well. If you want to try Baltimore Pit Beef, you'll have to go out of downtown to Chaps or Pioneer. Alewife is a neat bar that's a few blocks away with all craft brews. Good food. Faidleys for crab cakes or Orbrykis at BWI(if you're landing there, it's behind security.
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    Cinghiale is a nice Italian place near Fells Point. They do their own charcuterie.

The Helmand is an excellent Afghan restaurant in Mt Vernon. Make reservations.
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    Options
    IBID to what Eggcelsior wrote.  Over at the inner harbor there was one of the best places to get Chesapeake bay crabs...It was a dive, but the crabs were magnificient.  We use to hold our team meeting there every friday nite .  Don't know if still there Eggcelsior might though. 
    If you want a hike or take a cab ride over to Little Italy....there is some fine Italian food to be had in Bal'more.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    If you have kids with and they like zoos, the Baltimore one is pretty good.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • that_dude_Dave
    Options
    I'm going to Baltimore on Wednesday to surprise an old Army buddy for his 40th birthday. I already got us a couple tickets for Thursday nights game, I'm excited! 
    St. Louis Barbeque Society certified competition judge

XL and MiniMax
  • chainsaw19
    chainsaw19 Posts: 257
    Options
    Faidleys for crabcakes. Lots of nice places to eat in Fells Point.
    Large BGE Middletown, MD
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    One of the best restaurants in the country- think it was called Charleston. Get the tasting menu
    Greensboro, NC
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    Wolfpack said:

One of the best restaurants in the country- think it was called Charleston. Get the tasting menu

Yep. It's called The Charleston. Low country cuisine. I haven't been but I've only heard good things.

I think Austin Egghead is thinking of the old Orbrykis location. It shut down in 2012 and they only have the airport site now. Captain James Landing is near the harbor and has good crabs. Another place is Costas Inn near Dundalk.
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I travel a lot for work and have eaten in many great restaurants all over the country (luckily not on my own dime) but this one was memorable. Give it a try but as a warning the tasting menu wasn't inexpensive.
    Greensboro, NC
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Charleston is fantastic, the best fine dining in the city. For me, Woodberry Kitchen is close, and has a much more relaxed vibe, if you'd prefer that. Definitely worth a cab ride.

I agree with the rest of the activities recommended above. Camden Yards is absolutely worth a visit, it was the first of the new stadiums, and still one of the best. The National Aquarium is also a must do in the area. Fort McHenry is also really nicely redone and worth a visit. If you're traveling with kids they have a fun Junior Ranger program, last time we went my daughter got to bring home her badge.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• ads75
    ads75 Posts: 391
    Options
    Camden Yards is a great stadium. I've been to Alewife, that is also a nice bar with good beer. You can take a water taxi from the Inner Harbor to Fells Point, nice bars and restaurants in that area, not sure on the weekday schedule though.
    Large BGE, Mini BGE
    Morgantown, PA
  • dawsonhull
    dawsonhull Posts: 105
    Options
    Another vote for the Helmand. Also Isabella's in Little Italy for some great pizza. There's an Ethiopian restaurant downtown called Dukem which is good. Nice bistro in Federal Hill called Reggie's. Check out Lexington Market crab cakes. And for dessert - Vacarro's in Little Italy.

For entertainment - we loved to just sit on top of Federal Hill and look over the Harbor.