Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Ribs Low and Slow for a change.

Options
SGH
SGH Posts: 28,791
Decided to slow things down a little today. Just a few beef ribs rubbed with salt, white pepper and cayenne. Going to cook at 225 degrees and lay down a very heavy smoke. Using a combination of Stubbs charcoal, Royal Oak Lump and wood. When up to temp and stabilized will convert the big unit to just wood.Will post more pics as the cook progresses. I didn't use my egg today because I really want to put the smoke to them. Just a note. The smoke you see here is not what you want. It will produce bitter results. When the big unit is dialed in and holding temp I will post a pic of what type smoke that you want. Hope y'all enjoy my friends. :D

imageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

Comments

• SGH
    Options
    Decided to go with a water pan so I can really put the wood to it without having to fight the temps.
    imageimageimage

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    Ribs are prepped and seasoned. Smoker dialed in at 225 degrees. Loading them up.
    imageimageimageimage

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    For those interested the pics here is what your smoke should look like. You can lay this smoke to meat for untold hours without causing a bitter taste. I have done it for over 24 hours on carcasses, splits and the very large primals with no ill affects. I have even got away with it a few times on some of the subprimals. I don't recommend trying it for that long on the subs.

imageimageimage

Status- Standing by.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Can't wait to see the final result, looks good so far.
    Options
    @nolaegghead‌
    As always I thank you my brother.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    For any that may be interested here is my fuel of choice along with oak wood. The 3 combined produce a outstanding flavor. When time permits I use the very same on my egg .
    The smoker decided it wanted to burn clean at 250. Who am I to argue?
    If you wonder why I add lump and charcoal here is the reason. I can buy lump and Stubbs by the pallet and it's cheap. Helps save on wood. I get excellent results using this combination.

imageimageimage

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    Two hours of heavy smoke. It's time to wrap with some top secret ingriedants.
    imageimageimageimageimageimageimage

Status- Standing by.

• anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Very nice setup
  • SGH
    Options
    @anzyegg‌
    Thank you my friend. It makes things a lot easier on a old wore out man.

Status- Standing by.

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Options
    They look fantastic! Can't wait to see the finish
  • SGH
    Options
    The finished product. 2 hours in open smoke. 2 hours and 18 minutes in foil with Stubbs beef marinate for moisture. Heaven on a stick. Hope y'all enjoyed my post.
    @DMW How do you like what I have done with the foil plating? Just messing with you brother!

:D
    imageimageimage

Status- Standing by.

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Looks great to me. There are some things that don't belong plated nicely and rather should be eaten as soon as possible. This is one of those!
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    Options
    @DMW‌
    I agree whole heartily my friend. Hence the foil pan. As always thanks for your kind words my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,943
    Options
    Whoa! Those have already fallen off e bone. Looks great!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Raideregg
    Raideregg Posts: 33
    Options
    Thanks for all the details and photos.  I too am looking to supplement my Egg cooking.  Love the smoker.
                      Raideregg
    I Like Big Eggs and I can not lie!
    XXL,XL, L and MM
  • SGH
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina‌
    Thank you my friend. Actually I tore them trying to position them for the pic. My hands don't work so well anymore. Nerve disorder in both hands.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @Raideregg‌
    Thanks for the kind words my friend. Glad that you enjoyed my post. I hope out Raiders tighten up this year.

Status- Standing by.

• hapster
    Options
    I just licked my phone. I hope mine turn out close to that tomorrow.
  • SGH
    Options
    @hapster‌
    Thank you brother. I have no doubt that yours will be awesome. I would like to offer you some photography advice to help you out my friend. ;)

Status- Standing by.

• cajuncook
    cajuncook Posts: 99
    Options
    Where do you get beef ribs for $2/pound?
    Live on beautiful Lake Hartwell GA
  • Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Awesome @sgh !! Thank you for posting your process.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • hapster
    Options
    SGH said:

@hapster‌
    Thank you brother. I have no doubt that yours will be awesome. I would like to offer you some photography advice to help you out my friend. ;)

Advise away... Always open to learning new things, esp about photography

:)
  • SGH
    Options
    @hapster‌
    You got to know I'm kidding brother. Your photos are in a league of there own.

Status- Standing by.

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Enjoyed the post- you bring a wealth of info and thanks for sharing
    Greensboro, NC
  • SGH
    Options
    @Mattman3969‌
    Thank you for your kind words my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @Wolfpack‌
    Thank you for the compliment and your kind words my friend.

Status- Standing by.

• SGH
    Options
    @cajuncook‌
    Brother I get them from many places. SAMs, Winn Dixxie, Walmart, Rouses, Piggly Wiggly, The Butcher Block just to name a few. Beef is much cheaper down my way.

Status- Standing by.

• hapster
    Options
    SGH said:

@hapster‌
    You got to know I'm kidding brother. Your photos are in a league of there own.

I do my friend... But, I really do my best to stay open to learning new things about new and familiar interests just the same everyday. I can always improve...

Thank you for the nice compliment :)
  • SGH
    Options
    @hapster‌
    You do understand that was meant to be funny. I could not offer you any useful advice on photography. Wouldn't even try my friend. I'm using what you recommended brother.

Status- Standing by.

• hapster
    Options
    SGH said:

@hapster‌
    You do understand that was meant to be funny. I could not offer you any useful advice on photography. Wouldn't even try my friend. I'm using what you recommended brother.

Totally... My sense of humor is in fine working order, the more sarcasm the better :)

That's what it's all about; sharing our knowledge, skills, or gifts to help elevate everyone's game