Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pizza Fail»»»sort of

So I had some pizza dough balls I had frozen a few months back. I let the dough defrost and rise while I was at work today. Got home and cleaned out the egg w/ my shop vacuum (been a while and I've had a few L&S, 2 or 3 Spatchcocks etc etc. Found fire grate, fire box and fire ring are all cracked (Dang). Immediately took multiple photos and called my dealer. They tried to tell me I had to turn in the broken products before they could process it. Say what?! That dog don't hunt I told the guy and asked (actally more or less told him I'd provide detailed pics and they could process my warranty claim). He put me on hold and quickly returned and said no problem bring them the pics. Plan on doing this tomorrow (I took quite a few shots and also doc scanned all my receipts and the BGE checklist sheet which shows the serial #). No biggie that's why we have a warranty (it will get taken care of). Anywho»»»» loaded up lump and lit. Started stretching the first pie and ring ring my on call phone. Go to retrieve the message and 4 more calls back to back come in. Needless to say I snuffed out the egg & tossed the dough into the circular file cabinet (fortunately I hadn't built the pies yet). Then hauled a$$ 1.5hrs away to my service call. I have 3 more frozen dough balls in the refrigerator now defrosting and maybe I'll be able to do that tomorrow. Happy Egging y'all :-Dimageimageimage
LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL

Comments

• grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    You recently do a clean burn? Sure is pearly white
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited June 2014
    @grege345‌ nope I just did a Spatchcock and afterwards let it roll at about 700 but, not completely wide open. Just enough to burn off some of the L&S crustys (barely had any lump left so it only ran maybe a hour). I don't typically do "clean burns". A) don't like wasting lump B) it gets plenty clean when baking pizza. IMHO.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • grege345
    grege345 Posts: 3,515
    Agree with A and B
    LBGE& SBGE———————————————•———————– Pennsylvania / poconos

• NPHuskerFL
    Update: I went to my dealer Hagan Ace Hardware 1022 Blanding Blvd. Orange Park, FL 32065
    Emailed the pics, they filled out their warranty form and they boxed up a new fire ring, fire box and CI lump grate. I was there for maybe 30 minutes total. These guys rock!!! If your ever in the area visit any of the Hagan Ace Hardware's but, this one in particular. Ask for Nate. :)
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Randy1
    Randy1 Posts: 379

The fire ring and firebox on both my larges have cracked and had to be replaced. I guess it is very common.  IMO you would be miles ahead to get a High-que grate. I always found my self cleaning the holes out in the BGE fire grate to get airflow.

Maumelle, Arkansas
  • NPHuskerFL
    edited June 2014
    @randy1 I've yet to have a issue getting high temps &/or stabilizing for a L&S. I don't even have a wiggle rod. I typically stir lump and lite it. And about every 6th or 7th cook depending on lump usage I'll shop vac out the entire thing. I understand the High-que allows for even less restriction but, like I said I haven't had an issue regarding this. All the replacement parts will remain in the box until the cracked ones get so bad they are no longer usable (I've seen guys here with cracked fire rings & fire boxes be able to use them for a year or more). FWIW
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Randy1
    Randy1 Posts: 379
    edited June 2014
    @NPHuskerFL‌ "if it ain't broke don't fix it". I was really struggling the egg not getting enough air. I am leaving the damaged fire ring and fire box in the egg until they can't be used as well. We shall see how long that is.
    Maumelle, Arkansas