Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fifth Pizza Cook Experiments

Options
Tried three things this weekend. Pizza directly on the stone like the four previous times. Pizza on the stone using parchment paper. And pizza on the stone using a pizza screen.

Parchment paper edges caught fire even though they weren't hanging over , went out but crust was not as good as directly on the stone.
Pizza screen, toppings burnt before crust was done.

Thinking directly on the stone is the only way to fly.
Dearborn MI

Comments

• bud812
    bud812 Posts: 1,869
    Options
    I pull the paper out after about 2 min. & have no problem.

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Never leave parchment under a pie, unless you are cooking on the big white/SS clock in the kitchen. After 3-4 minutes, use the parchment to rotate the pie and pull it. 
    +1 with @bud812
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    KenfromMI said:
    Tried three things this weekend. Pizza directly on the stone like the four previous times. Pizza on the stone using parchment paper. And pizza on the stone using a pizza screen.

Parchment paper edges caught fire even though they weren't hanging over , went out but crust was not as good as directly on the stone.
    Pizza screen, toppings burnt before crust was done.

Thinking directly on the stone is the only way to fly.
    I tried paper a couple of times, pulling it out after a short time, Not for me. The crust just isn't as good. Tried the screen too. Dough stuck to it!! So, I'll stick with old faithful... a (very) little semolina on my wooden peel, assembling the pie on the peel and launching it onto a preheated, raised stone. Never sticks, never a problem. Works every time. Great crust.

My peel with semolina...

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    I don't have Semolina but I've been using corn meal. The only reason I tried parchment was to have several pizzas all ready to go and only have one peal. I also removed it after a few minutes but when I did the crust got a funny color that doesn't happen when I leave the parchment paper out all together. I just brushed off the corn meal in between pizzas so it wouldn't get too burned. 
    Dearborn MI
  • SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    No paper needed , cornmeal the peel heavy and it will all transfer
    Seattle, WA
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    The problem I'm having is if the pizzas are made in advance and lined up how do you transfer them to the peel without them sticking to whatever surface you have them on to keep cooking them as fast as possible?
    Dearborn MI
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    KenfromMI said:
    The problem I'm having is if the pizzas are made in advance and lined up how do you transfer them to the peel without them sticking to whatever surface you have them on to keep cooking them as fast as possible?

Only way I can see is parchment paper. I usuauuly build as I go. Have my dough balls laid out on a floured surface, pat down to discs and let them rest til its their turn. Then toss, place on a lightly floured peel, build and launch. If you have all your ingredients laid out building a pie gets pretty quick with practice. I have 2 peels so I can start buiilding the next one just before the current pie is ready to come out. If you are doing thin crust at around 700* dome they go pretty quick.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    Thats why I experimented with parchment paper this week. I'm wondering if there is a high heat parchment paper or if it all the same.
    Dearborn MI
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    edited June 2014
    Options
    Parchment is like a condom, utilitarian, idiot proof & safe but never quite the same.  Learn how to use your peel
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • SkinnyV
    Options
    I did an 8 pizza cook for the party, trick is going fast and making the pizza on the peel before in the oven.
    I was running the egg and oven it was great, done pizzas went in a warmer once 4 were ready set em out.
    If you pre make em , parchment is the only way I think.
    Seattle, WA
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    I do use my peel but I guess some of you don't get my point. One pizza can be on the peel at a time. You then need that said peel to remove the pizza from the stone. Then if no pizzas are already ready there is a huge lull in the pizza cooking process. When you are feeding 12 people like me the other night one 14inch pizza isn't even enough for one piece each from the first pizza. My peel is fine and it is composite so when I remove the pizza I use the underside and use the underside to cut my pizza on I just removed without dulling my pizza cutter.  I'm just looking for a way to have another pizza ready to go on the stone immediately without it sticking to my cutting board etc from sitting too long.
    Dearborn MI
  • SkinnyV
    edited June 2014
    Options
    That's what I meant above, I made pizzas on peel as they go in, u need to be fast. I used my egg and oven so made the egg one put it on, come back make the oven one slide it in etc. Oh and to pull them off you don't need a peel really so you can have that pizza ready to go once you pull another.
    See my note above I waited until about 4 were done and then pulled those from a warmer, and served while 2 others came out. Its very possible.
    I put all pizzas on my granite and cut them so no peel was used, and could be used for cooking.
    I fed 15+ easily all loved it.
    Seattle, WA
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    So u just slide it directly on a cutting board or something?
    Dearborn MI
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    And actually that was for Zippy. My peel is great and I use it well. I think its much better than a wood one actually.
    Dearborn MI
  • Zippylip
    Zippylip Posts: 4,768
    Options

KenfromMI said:
    I do use my peel but I guess some of you don't get my point. One pizza can be on the peel at a time. You then need that said peel to remove the pizza from the stone.
    No, I recommend you pick up a few screens, they have a duel function - one, you remove the finished pie from the stone with it & two, you briefly cool the pie on it (elevate it off of any surface, anything will do, dough rising pan, kitchen aid mixer bowl, oven rack, flower pot...), anything to keep the bottom of the pie from trapping heat which will end up steaming the crust & ruining the texture (turns it more bready than crispy pizza doughy).  This is why all pizza that arrives at your front door in a box from even the best pizza place blows ass, it's not the same product that came out of the oven once a screaming hot pie comes into contact with a restricted air flow surface.

See pictures:

Cooling on the rack:

So in chronological order, build your pie on your peel, slide it onto the egg, while that's cooking build you next pie on your peel, remove finished pie from egg with screen & onto elevated surface while instantaneously sliding the next pie onto the stone (which is pie-less for maybe 6 seconds if you do this right), repeat. 

Works for 2 pies or 22.
    happy in the hut
    West Chester Pennsylvania
  • KenfromMI
    Options
    Thats what I was looking for, great idea, thanks, Ken
    Dearborn MI
  • anzyegg
    anzyegg Posts: 1,104
    Options
    Now that's a pizza... Wonderful and must taste fantastic I'm sure... Great tips.
  • Hoov
    Hoov Posts: 264
    Options
    @Zippylip‌ that pizza from your photo looked great. I usually use one of your dough recipes (the "stage 2" recipe if I have time for the cold rise). Are you still using the same dough recipe?
    - Proud owner of a Large BGE
    - Norman, OK
  • mcmac
    mcmac Posts: 496
    Options
    Man, you guys are killing me with these pizza pics.
    XL BGE -  Med BGE - Mini BGE - Traeger Pellet Grills

Hillsboro OR
  • tridogdude
    Options
    @KenfromMI  @SkinnyV and @Zippylip   This has to one of the most helpful and informative posts I have read while on this site. Thanks. Bookmarked right next to a **** ton of other informative posts from this site. 

Totally agree with @mcmac about you guys killing me with these pizza pics.