Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How did you get started cooking??

Mattman3969
Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
Was it because of your mom/grandmother, out of necessity or something else? Mine was necessity. While I was single I was also broke and usually to buzzed to drive, so if I ate I had to cook and it usually was on the cheapest webber kettle. I think I paid like $69 for it.

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.

Comments

• hapster
    hapster Posts: 7,503
    Started shortly after I realized if I was hungry, I'd better cook since both my parents worked. Probably started around 10 or so, all inspired and mostly taught by mom
  • It was because of my mom.  First dish I tried to copy was her lasagna.  Still after 40 years I can't make it as good as hers.  But this taught me at an early age that you can prepare better food at home than in most restaurants.

Damascus, VA.  Friendliest town on the Appalachian Trail.

LBGE Aug 2012, SBGE Feb 2014

• Rusty Rooster
    Rusty Rooster Posts: 1,239

As a boy scout 50+ years ago. :-)

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Never had to cook for myself until I was in college. I'm an old farm kid and my Mom was  and still is a great cook. I didn't start REALLY cooking until I got my egg in July 2011. Now I do most of the cooking in my house. 
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    My wife bought me my first grill about 10 or so years ago. A gasser but it served its purpose. After that got an ECB then another Weber gasser then a WSM 22.5" then the break through a PM I worked with gave me a small egg he didn't use. No direct family was much into cooking but now my parents have 2 eggs.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Started before I was a teenager, just because it was fun.  Still do by far most the cooking in the house.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Mattman3969
    Cool stories. Both my grandmothers were excellent cooks and each in a different way. I still find myself trying to copy some of their cooks. My mom cooked to satisfy my dad's taste and that was way over cooked, but he liked so that was what mattered and honestly I didn't know the difference till I started cooking myself. I know do most of the proteins for the family get togethers and this has changed how mom cooks. She sends me pics of steaks with some pink still in the middle which is kinda fun.

analyze adapt overcome

• Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    Mom was a less than stellar cook, but there were six of us kids and we never went hungry. Dad was a equal parts briquettes and lighter fluid griller, and I remember the food fondly. I even recreate the foil wrapped burned skin potatoes on the Egg once in a while. Love the taste. After getting married, Mrs. TJ and I shared the cooking based on who got home from work first, and I did the basic grilling on the gasser, Weber for a time, and even fooled with a bullet smoker for a while. I did not become obsessed until I got the Egg. If I'm home, I now do 90 percent of the cooking, most on the Egg.
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    I always did the "grilling" which included drying out the meat on the Weber. My wife went back to school at nights so I had to take over the entire cooking task. Started enjoying the planning and execution. Started watching the foodnetwork (mostly Alton Brown). We invited another couple over for pulled pork off the Weber Kettle. Spent 12 hours adding and subtracting briquettes and could not stabilize the temperature. My friend said if you like to cook low and slow you've got to get a Big Green Egg. The rest is history!
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • Morro Bay Rich
    Morro Bay Rich Posts: 2,227
    In the Cub Scouts.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,463
    Cool thread!

I could heat spaghetti sauce and hot dogs thru college and my first assignment in Dayton, OH.  My tastebuds opened up, however, with all the TDYs all over the world.  Then, my second assignment was to Albuquerque, and I fell, hard, for New Mexican cooking and chiles.  Started learning to cook from PBS and way too many cookbooks.  My folks came to visit, I made them enchiladas with homemade chile sauce and homemade tortillas, and Dad was scraping the roasting pan for the scraps.  
    w00t!  
    It's been a constant growth ever since, the Egg being the latest (actually, no, my sausage-making is the latest).  
    This beats couch-viewing NASCAR.  It does.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• KennyLee
    KennyLee Posts: 806
    edited June 2014
    Not that I'm a supreme chef and really don't do much in the kitchen, but really got into grilling because of my love for hunting and the outdoors.  I spend quite a bit of time in the hunting camp (though not as much as I used to), and got tired of eating hot dogs and peanut butter sandwiches.  Nothing like a really good steak, smoked brisket or grilled fajitas and some cold beer at deer camp under the stars. 

LBGE

Cedar table w/granite top

Ceramic Grillworks two-tier swing rack

Perpetual cooler of ice-cold beer

• Rzeancak
    Rzeancak Posts: 193
    fore me i found that i can recreate meal after i ate it. My mom would bring home left overs or purchase a doggie bag to bring home and ask "Do you think you can make it"  Plus i like trying to guess the spices.  I find restaurants today don use good spices or herbs,  it salt or butter an if they use spice its steak spice or greek spice.  for me i us oils and acids, mixed in with herbs.
    A child can ask questions a wise man can't answer!!!
    Canada
    Large @ Small BGE 

• Mattman3969
    That sounds like a fun game @rzeancak. I do that from time to time if I find something I really like at a restaurant.

analyze adapt overcome

• Bayarad
    Bayarad Posts: 313
    When I decided in college 30 years ago that I liked to eat good food!
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    The first adult meal I made for myself was grilled pork chops, baked beans and grilled pineapple. I was about 20 years old, and up to that point, I had subsisted on sandwiches, cereal and spaghetti. I made the decision that I was now a grown up, and should eat like one. I fired up the propane camping grill on my apartment patio, and cooked the chops hot and fast. By sheer luck, I took them off at the right time and they turned out perfect. After about 15 more years, some world travel to appreciate other cultures and cuisines, a wife who could cook herself (thereby raising the bar on my own cooking), two boys and two years of big green egging and I finally feel like I know what I'm doing.

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• Rzeancak
    Rzeancak Posts: 193
    That sounds like a fun game @rzeancak. I do that from time to time if I find something I really like at a restaurant.
    Mattman3969 another fun thing to do is get your wife or friend pick 4 to 5 items (spice, condiment or anything they want)  and you make a meal using the things they selected.  You select the meat and side long with the cooking style you want.  It really sets off the creative side.  we got the idea from watching my wife favourite show "Chopped on the food network" 
    A child can ask questions a wise man can't answer!!!
    Canada
    Large @ Small BGE 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I like to eat cooked food.
    My step father cooked breakfast at church on Saturday for the workers. I cooked the omelets at 10 years old. My kids still rave over my scrambled eggs. Ive always cooked. Spent time with the gasser and a stick burner. I really got into it after the egg. When I'm home...I cook. Sher-bear is an excellent, country girl cook. Old school. Between the two of us we can wrangle up some grub.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    A year in the freshman dorms was enough. They didn't make Indian food and I was done with eating Captain's Casserole. Sat my mom down and wrote all of her recipes into a notebook. That was 20 years ago. I'm almost happiest when I'm cooking. And I miss my mom a lot when I look up her recipes to cook.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Your family is great...until I called your wife your sister. I tried to explain Tennessee.....
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Mom made sure I could at least cook eggs. Then, in scouts, learned to burn food over fire. After graduation, was shown how to make re-fried rice, saving me from a diet of beer, chocolate chip cookies and canned tuna. After marriage, me and the wife pretty much split cooking duties, so I learned how to make lots of things in an electric skillet and a slow cooker. Kept trying to make BBQ ribs. When Mom died, family dinners fell to us. My wife was an indifferent cook, so I took up most of that. After a few years, I found I really liked cooking, Also, got an Egg. Woo-hoo!
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    I could cook some basic stuff before heading off to college. Chili, spaghetti, grilled cheese, eggs, etc. After about a month into my sophmore year and my first apartment, I was tired of frozen pizzas, mac n cheese and chicken nuggets and frozen dinners, so I started teaching myself to cook. Junior year got my first grill, an Old Smokey and that started the grilling and bbq. It's amazing what you can put out on a cheap grill once you learn it and understand it. I still want to get an Old Smokey for nostalgic sake.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• GeorgeS
    GeorgeS Posts: 955
    Mom and Dad split the summer between 8-9th grades. My sisters went with Mom and I went with Dad. We moved in with my grandmother for about 6 months and I learned a lot from her in the evenings. I grew 6" and put on 20 some pounds that summer in a major growth spurt. Dad and I moved out on our own and he worked a **** ton of hours to make ends meet. The only responsible thing to do was to pick up the house chores. He was an awesome soup and stew guy but not much else. I learned really quickly to cook for myself and him. I was a better cook than him within a year. Even learned to fry fish after I got caught skipping school and lied to him about it. Cleaned a whole five gallon bucket of crappie that night by myself and then had to wake him up in the middle of the night when I was done so he could show me how to cook some up for dinner.
    Bristow Virginia XL&Mini One of the best feelings in life is watching other people enjoy the food I cooked!