Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New large Egg - What to cook first?

Options
anzyegg
anzyegg Posts: 1,104
Love this forum and was wondering what would be best to cook first and break me in. I have no eggsperience other than reading these great posts and pics...I'll fool with the temps first but wanted to check what would work best. Of course I'd like not to mess it up too bad so the kids would eat...

Comments

• DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    If you have the time, pork butt for pulled pork. Its very forgiving if you are learning and miss your target temp a bit. And if you overshoot or undershoot when dialing it in, no big deal.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • anzyegg
    Options
    Thanks, that was something I was thinking about. Perhaps a 5 pounder....
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited June 2014
    Options
    +1 tis the time for L&S cooks. & it'll be perfect to "break in" your new LBGE. Congrats on the purchase. And Welcome.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • jerryb78
    jerryb78 Posts: 215
    Options
    I'm a recent egg owner myself and have found both pork butt and ribs to be pretty straightforward.  (easy to learn, difficult to master, or something like that)  Make sure you give yourself enough time for setup, letting the temperature stabilize, etc.  You don't want to rush yourself.

Have fun and post some pics when you're done!
    LBGE
    Menasha, WI
  • anzyegg
    Options
    Thanks NP... I'm not sure on the lingo yet. What are L&S cooks? Long and slow????
  • anzyegg
    Options
    Thanks jerryb. I've been reading and noticing slow and a brew works best.... I'll get some pics out for sure.
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    @anzyegg‌ sorry acronym happy :-). Yes Low & Slow.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Ladeback69
    Ladeback69 Posts: 4,482
    Options
    I did burgers and then chicken, but ribs and pork butts sound better. You could still do turbo and it would be under 400°.
    XL, WSM, Coleman Road Trip Gas Grill

Kansas City, Mo.
  • anzyegg
    Options
    Thanks Ladeback that's where I'm leaning.
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    Your liver...
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • NPHuskerFL
    Options
    henapple said:

Your liver...

Damnit man whatcha drinkin? Lol
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Ktim
    Ktim Posts: 364
    Options
    Spatchcock chicken. Check out the video at Tasty licks Bbq.
  • jhl192
    jhl192 Posts: 1,006
    Options
    Spatchcock chicken!
    XL BGE; Medium BGE; L BGE 
  • Griff2w2
    Griff2w2 Posts: 53
    Options
    +1 to spatch chicken. Just make sure you are patient bringing up to temp, it's hard to come back down if you hit 700.
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    anzyegg said:
    Love this forum and was wondering what would be best to cook first and break me in. I have no eggsperience other than reading these great posts and pics...I'll fool with the temps first but wanted to check what would work best. Of course I'd like not to mess it up too bad so the kids would eat...
    Try a rib roast. You'll be a hero.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • Dutch_egg
    Dutch_egg Posts: 28
    Options
    +1 on spatchcock chicken, easy to do and a quick result, kid friendly as well
  • JerseyTex
    JerseyTex Posts: 53
    Options
    +1 jerryb78

I am new also and I have made pulled pork a few time with some struggles but it was good eats. My Pork Ribs The same thing good turnouts.

Beef ribs Fail
    Bribed potatoes Fail
    Bribed Chicken Ok but not great
    Pork Shots ok But I brunt the bottoms
    jalapeno poppers ok but not great
  • KenfromMI
    KenfromMI Posts: 742
    Options
    My first three cooks I used it as a grill and kept it under 350 degrees. Nothing wrong with some good old fashioned cheeseburgers for meal #1. That's what I did. Just using charcoal alone if you usually use a gasser is better flavor. I made Pork Souvlaki Kebabs next, #3 is a blur LOL 
    Dearborn MI
  • anzyegg
    Options
    Thanks so much to everyone. Some great ideas for first cook. I'll take pics of the virgin birth and then the first cook...
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    anzyegg said:
    Steak Steak and Steak.  There's a guy on YouTube who makes New Yorks and I think the video is called 'First time using the Big Green Egg'  I think the guy's name is Dave.  I always wanted a BGE but that video, the first time I saw it, put me over the top.
  • Farbuck
    Farbuck Posts: 276
    Options
    Spatchcock chicken.   You'll do it again and again.

Two Large Eggs; Too Little Time

Newtown Square, PA
  • Farbuck
    Farbuck Posts: 276
    Options
    If you are fish-eaters, cedar-planked salmon is great, but for a first cook I'd go with something that lived on the land rather than in the ocean

Two Large Eggs; Too Little Time

Newtown Square, PA
  • anzyegg
    Options
    Thanks Westernbbq, I'll take a look because steak is loved by the fam.... Farbuck, I also have tasted cedar plank salmon in the egg from a co-worker... It was fantastic. Once I get the hang of cooking on the egg I hope to try some...
  • KJWILD
    KJWILD Posts: 95
    Options
    Just finished my 4th cook on my new XL BGE. I asked the same question when I was preparing to do my first cook and the overwhelming recommendations were spatchcock chicken. It was an awesome first cook and turned out tremendously well. Overall cook time was 1 hour and 10 minutes. Just take your time and enjoy what is sure to become your favorite cooker of all time.
    Husband, Father, Grandfather and Chef of the Home Front. XL BGE- purchased on 5/28/2014
  • anzyegg
    Options
    Thanks KJ, Spatchcock is high on my list... 4 cooks mean your relatively new here.... It is an awesome forum of great eats,and sharing.... Thanks for the suggestion...
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    I would cook something that you have experience cooking on what ever you cooked on before the Egg in your life. Do something that you know how to do well and after you are accustomed to the Egg then start doing new cooks. Congrats on the Egg and you will wonder soon what took you so long to get an Egg!!!!  

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• KJWILD
    KJWILD Posts: 95
    Options
    +1 and I full agree.
    I would cook something that you have experience cooking on what ever you cooked on before the Egg in your life. Do something that you know how to do well and after you are accustomed to the Egg then start doing new cooks. Congrats on the Egg and you will wonder soon what took you so long to get an Egg!!!!  

Husband, Father, Grandfather and Chef of the Home Front. XL BGE- purchased on 5/28/2014
  • laserdoc85
    laserdoc85 Posts: 577
    Options
    Set your temp to 300 and toss a whole chicken on the grate and do a direct cook for about a hour and 20 min. Bird is done when you can pull a leg off.. 
    You really want to break it in then cook some sausage patties for breakfast at 300. It will smoke a  lot because the drippings falling on the coals . Plus they will take about 45 min. But boy are they good! Do this a few times and your dome will start to get black and your on your way to breaking it in.
    Jefferson .GA.  
    Been egging since 1985 on a medium egg
  • Ktim
    Ktim Posts: 364
    Options
    Spatchcock chicken, with a lot of Budweiser on the side.
  • Miked125
    Miked125 Posts: 481
    Options
    What to cook? Anything and everything! Have Fun!